The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Emerson Etem | RW/LW

Gstank29

Etem has proven that he can take on that bottom 6 role. In his short time with the Canucks, he has already proven his ability to get in on the forecheck and he's not afraid to go to the net and cause havoc. In a 1 on 1 trade for Jensen, he's the more versatile player and he can be slotted into any spot on the right wing. So many players are projecting to be that right winger that can play up and down the lineup the way that Jannik Hansen does. If we had a team full of Hansens there would be lots of hustle and the skill would present itself.

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

Agreed. He very much reminds me of a Hansen with more size. I hope we hang on to him, in a few years he's going to be a beast 3rd liner IMO.

100% agree.

I can't help but notice quite a few names of people that are unimpressed with Etem now were calling for us to draft him or trade for him in the Kesler/Bonino deals.  Definitely not voices worth heeding.

I think he is going to take longer to develop than peole think. But once we let him grow and mature, he should be a very useful bottom-6 player who's true contributions come in the Playoffs. Having a guy like Granlund to play with him is good because it lets him make the puck plays while Etem can just focus on working and not doing to much. I expect him to make some strides over the next 2-3 years and turn get to another level. 

Higgins comparable for me. Hansen too though. He's scored pretty consistantly at .25 ppg in his NHL career, I think that is fair as a projection for him next year, but if he can get up into the .35 area that would show he's still got some offensive upside. 

10G and 15 Assists next year would be solid

probably looking at 10 goals and 10 assists realistically

12 Goals and 16 Assists would be a huge improvement

Etem is a great addition and a no brainer to stick, can't believe how many suggest he's let go.

At worst he's a more physical Hansen, who can play up or down the lineup and he's still got significant upside.

JB isn't a fool, you don't find that combination of size and speed and physicality and write it off at 23.

No, JB is no fool despite what some fan bases would have us believe. He knows what Etem is projected to be and his likelihood of reaching it. That is why he traded for him. Just like Granlund, he knows the players he wants from other teams and as soon as they become available - bang! He pulls the trigger.

g677957198.gif

1 hour ago, Alexandre said:

No, JB is no fool despite what some fan bases would have us believe. He knows what Etem is projected to be and his likelihood of reaching it. That is why he traded for him. Just like Granlund, he knows the players he wants from other teams and as soon as they become available - bang! He pulls the trigger.

g677957198.gif

This is true, JB is an excellent evaluator of talent. 

15 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

This is true, JB is an excellent evaluator of talent. 

His track record bears this out. I doubt any previous GM's we have had would have been able to restock our cupboards and rebuild our team as quickly as he has. In fact, I am beginning to think that he had a significant hand in the rebuilding of the Bruins.

His track record bears this out. I doubt any previous GM's we have had would have been able to restock our cupboards and rebuild our team as quickly as he has. In fact, I am beginning to think that he had a significant hand in the rebuilding of the Bruins.

Lmao. Im 100% behind benning but our cupboards are in no way restocked and out rebuild is just kind of half ass starting. The jury still has to be out on his success as a gm.

55 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Lmao. Im 100% behind benning but our cupboards are in no way restocked and out rebuild is just kind of half ass starting. The jury still has to be out on his success as a gm.

Benning stated that we finally have depth in the organization. He has added players like Dorsett, Sbisa and Sutter. Eleven players on the current roster are 23 years old or younger. This to me is more than a rebuild that is just starting.

We also have a number of promising prospects drafted by Benning. He averaged almost 3 NHL players/draft in 7 years as Director of Amateur Scouting for Buffalo. So I expect most of these prospects to develop into NHL players. He has accomplished all this in less than two years.

You can laugh all you want for now, but I think next season, the picture of the team Benning envisions will start to become clearer. 

Benning stated that we finally have depth in the organization. He has added players like Dorsett, Sbisa and Sutter. Eleven players on the current roster are 23 years old or younger. This to me is more than a rebuild that is just starting.

We also have a number of promising prospects drafted by Benning. He averaged almost 3 NHL players/draft in 7 years as Director of Amateur Scouting for Buffalo. So I expect most of these prospects to develop into NHL players. He has accomplished all this in less than two years.

You can laugh all you want for now, but I think next season, the picture of the team Benning envisions will start to become clearer. 

So what your saying is the job is done. Youre happy with what you see here. Rebuild is complete and we have a top prospect pool. 

K bud. 

12 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

Emerson Etem is a bust.   He has no finish.     He has a very limited energy level as seen on the break away last game by LA where he was so gassed he looked like a beer leaguer.   That is historically the knocks on him from 2 previous teams.  

Not even worth giving a roster spot to him in Utica as the example he sets isn't something you want prospects learning.

:lol:

1 hour ago, chilliwiggins said:

Emerson Etem is a bust.   He has no finish.     He has a very limited energy level as seen on the break away last game by LA where he was so gassed he looked like a beer leaguer.   That is historically the knocks on him from 2 previous teams.  

Not even worth giving a roster spot to him in Utica as the example he sets isn't something you want prospects learning.

latest?cb=20120211222858

5 hours ago, Alexandre said:

You're right it will become clearer  the question is for the better or for the worse :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Gooseberries said:

So what your saying is the job is done. Youre happy with what you see here. Rebuild is complete and we have a top prospect pool. 

K bud. 

I don't think that's what he is saying, he's just saying we are further a long than you claim the Canucks to be. 

"This to me is more than a rebuild that is just starting." is what he said, not that it's complete. 

I agree. The first few building blocks are in place.

5 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

You're right it will become clearer  the question is for the better or for the worse :rolleyes:

Can it get much worse? The team is getting younger.. tough to perform then, look at the Oilers. Benning's team, even without countless of 1st overall picks, has more of an identity moving forward than the Oilers have been able to develop in the last decade.

Still so confused how people asking for a re-build before last season, are getting one, and then now expect it to be done and over with after a year or two depending on the way you look at things.

It doesn't happen over one season, it doesn't even happen over two. 

Etem should drop 5 or so pounds and focus on foot speed if he's not gonna play a heavy game. He's already a decent skater, could becom great. Will help his play. 

At worst we have a solid 3rd-4th liner. Not bad considering Jensen was never really going to get a opportunity here. 

Archived