Sign in to follow this  
Gstank29

Emerson Etem | RW/LW

The quote was probably nothing.

I just wonder, because the deal seems like such a win for the Canucks and a loss for the Rangers.

But obviously JB, WD and Trevor think the kid will fit with the team, and what they gave up is probably nothing.

Unless AV manages to work a miracle with Jensen... which is not impossible.  He might get a 3rd or 4th liner out of him eventually.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'm not saying I'm offended.  I'm saying, when a player makes statements that are insulting two cities in a public manner, he is doing so as a representative of his team and his league.  That shows immaturity.  Evander Kane simply made himself look foolish.  What Etem wrote was a direct insult to two cities, one of which has an NHL franchise.  

I agree we need to live in a more free society, where political correctness is not the rule of order, but this is not about that.  This is about an employee, publicly insulting one of his employer's cities.  

Well he wasn't an employee of the Sabres so it has nothing to do with them. He's free to have his opinion about any city he wants. People in Buffalo might not like it, but it's no concern of the NHL.

All he meant was that the town doesn't have many attractions. He doesn't say anything negative about the people or anything to do with other teams or franchises.

It's really building a non-issue into something bigger than it was.

Just now, *Buzzsaw* said:

The quote was probably nothing.

I just wonder, because the deal seems like such a win for the Canucks and a loss for the Rangers.

But obviously JB, WD and Trevor think the kid will fit with the team, and what they gave up is probably nothing.

Unless AV manages to work a miracle with Jensen... which is not impossible.  He might get a 3rd or 4th liner out of him eventually.

I'm like you on this.  I think I'm completely thrown off by how little Etem cost, considering last season he was worth a lot more.  Maybe I'm just looking for a reason why his value dropped, to justify us basically getting him for a six round pick, and trying to understand why no other team offered more?

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well he wasn't an employee of the Sabres so it has nothing to do with them. He's free to have his opinion about any city he wants. People in Buffalo might not like it, but it's no concern of the NHL.

All he meant was that the town doesn't have many attractions. He doesn't say anything negative about the people or anything to do with other teams or franchises.

It's really building a non-issue into something bigger than it was.

Is not the league like a corporation, with each city being one thirtieth of the whole?  Insulting one city, regardless of whether you play for that team or not, is like insulting them all.  It's like biting the hand that feeds you.  Yes he was young, but usually where there is smoke there is fire, and there may be more going on - behind the scenes - with this player than we know?  I still love the trade, and would make over and over again.  Aren't you wondering why we got him so cheap, when there are 28 other teams, and not one was willing to spend more than Jensen and a sixth?  I think that raises a big red flag.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Is not the league like a corporation, with each city being one thirtieth of the whole?  Insulting one city, regardless of whether you play for that team or not, is like insulting them all.  It's like biting the hand that feeds you.  Yes he was young, but usually where there is smoke there is fire, and there may be more going on - behind the scenes - with this player than we know?  I still love the trade, and would make over and over again.  Aren't you wondering why we got him so cheap, when there are 28 other teams, and not one was willing to spend more than Jensen and a sixth?  I think that raises a big red flag.

Well a GMs first preference is typically to trade out of conference, so that eliminates 14 teams right off the bat.

They were obviously looking for a young player who could play in the minors and free up a roster spot in return.

AV is familiar with Jensen and was able to get more out of him than any other coach.

Sometimes it's more about fit than offering up the most. Alot of the times other GMs don't even know a player is available either. I remember some GMs coming out after Hodgson was traded and saying they didn't even know he was on the block. Maybe Benning just jumped on it first.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Well a GMs first preference is typically to trade out of conference, so that eliminates 14 teams right off the bat.

They were obviously looking for a young player who could play in the minors and free up a roster spot in return.

AV is familiar with Jensen and was able to get more out of him than any other coach.

Sometimes it's more about fit than offering up the most. Alot of the times other GMs don't even know a player is available either. I remember some GMs coming out after Hodgson was traded and saying they didn't even know he was on the block. Maybe Benning just jumped on it first.

I really hope you have this one pegged DeNiro.  I want to be way offside on this.  Maybe it's all the recent Kassian news that has me so foolishly worried?  I appreciate your taking the time to steer me in the right, and positive, direction. :)

I don't see the point in wondering why we got a player so cheap when we paid such a cheap price. Alf, do you also think that sales at stores mean you're buying poor quality? lol

Suggest you guys watch all 3 parts!!!! WILLIE D IN ONE!!!

Edited by Outsiders
  • Upvote 1

As both Jensen and Etem were #29 overall picks I decided the check out the recent #29 picks. Here they are for the last 10 years. It is a lot less impressive that the recent #6 picks. I would say only one guy out of 10 is a high quality player and several guys never made the NHL at all. Overall there is a big difference between low first round picks and high first round picks. And if we look at the 2nd and 3rd round picks we would see that getting Baertschi for a second is a steal, and so is getting Pedan for a 3rd. And even getting Vey for a second is probably (slightly) better than average.

Pos.    
2013 Jason Dickinson LW Guelph (OHL) Dallas
2012 Stefan Matteau LW USNTDP New Jersey Devils
2011 Nicklas Jensen LW Oshawa (OHL) Vancouver Canucks
2010 Emerson Etem C/LW Medicine Hat (WHL) Anaheim Ducks
2009 Carter Ashton LW Lethbridge (WHL) Tampa Bay Lightning
2008 Daultan Leveille C St. Catherines (GHL) Atlanta Thrashers
2007 Jim O'Brian C Minnesota (NCAA) Ottawa Senators
2006 Chris Summers D NTDP 18 (USA) Phoenix Coyotes
2005 Steve Downie RW Windsor Spitfires (OHL) Philadelphia Flyers
2004 Mike Green D Saskatoon Blades (WHL) Washington Capitals

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, chilliwiggins said:

agreed that's the only thing other than a resign on a 2 way for utica

Stop saying two-ways and Utica. Two-way contracts have no effect on waivers. Etem is waiver eligible regardless of the contract he signs next, same with anyone else.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Stop saying two-ways and Utica. Two-way contracts have no effect on waivers. Etem is waiver eligible regardless of the contract he signs next, same with anyone else.

#NHL16BAGM

And by the way, I don't think thats his twitter...

12 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

I've decided just not to respond to him. All he does is spout nonsense.

5 minutes ago, Delta76 said:

I've decided just not to respond to him. All he does is spout nonsense.

Like a crazy street corner preacher...

I think his surprisingly low PIM totals in every league he's been in should get some credit. He's not a liability to find himself in the box. Tells me he's a clean, smart player. 

So, Etem is a slightly older version of Virtanen.....

Look, Jensen was never going to play for the Canucks again.  He had been passed by on the depth charts.  This was his show me year and he was doing a so so job in Utica.  He needed a fresh start.

Etem  played for the Ducks and the Rangers, both deep (and unforgiving teams).  He has a clear shot at RW for the Canucks, especially since Hansen will be out for 2 weeks on LTIR.

Burrows, Vrbata, Etem, Virtanen, Dorsett.....is all good.

What happens in the future?  If Vrbata moved at the deadline?  Burrows moved?  It depends on whether Etem can play or not of course but this gives JB options.  He has some flexibility in the short term and who knows, Etem may turn out to be a huge steal in the long term.

JB wins.  Nice move.

• Upvote 1

Baer Bo Etem
 Looks like a solid line to me honestly.

I could see us moving Vrby if Etem can step it up before the deadline. I assume that is the plan.

Like this trade.

Jensen and a sixth are practically throw-ins and Etem has real upside.

Obviously, you get what you pay for as Etem is a longshot. His chances of having a semblance of an NHL career are far greater than Jensen and the sixth though.