The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Emerson Etem | RW/LW

Gstank29

2 hours ago, chilliwiggins said:

agreed that's the only thing other than a resign on a 2 way for utica

Stop saying two-ways and Utica. Two-way contracts have no effect on waivers. Etem is waiver eligible regardless of the contract he signs next, same with anyone else.

11 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Stop saying two-ways and Utica. Two-way contracts have no effect on waivers. Etem is waiver eligible regardless of the contract he signs next, same with anyone else.

#NHL16BAGM

And by the way, I don't think thats his twitter...

12 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

I've decided just not to respond to him. All he does is spout nonsense.

So, Etem is a slightly older version of Virtanen.....

Look, Jensen was never going to play for the Canucks again.  He had been passed by on the depth charts.  This was his show me year and he was doing a so so job in Utica.  He needed a fresh start.

Etem  played for the Ducks and the Rangers, both deep (and unforgiving teams).  He has a clear shot at RW for the Canucks, especially since Hansen will be out for 2 weeks on LTIR.

Burrows, Vrbata, Etem, Virtanen, Dorsett.....is all good.

What happens in the future?  If Vrbata moved at the deadline?  Burrows moved?  It depends on whether Etem can play or not of course but this gives JB options.  He has some flexibility in the short term and who knows, Etem may turn out to be a huge steal in the long term.

JB wins.  Nice move.

Like this trade.

Jensen and a sixth are practically throw-ins and Etem has real upside.

Obviously, you get what you pay for as Etem is a longshot. His chances of having a semblance of an NHL career are far greater than Jensen and the sixth though.

59 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

So, Etem is a slightly older version of Virtanen.....

Look, Jensen was never going to play for the Canucks again.  He had been passed by on the depth charts.  This was his show me year and he was doing a so so job in Utica.  He needed a fresh start.

Etem  played for the Ducks and the Rangers, both deep (and unforgiving teams).  He has a clear shot at RW for the Canucks, especially since Hansen will be out for 2 weeks on LTIR.

Burrows, Vrbata, Etem, Virtanen, Dorsett.....is all good.

What happens in the future?  If Vrbata moved at the deadline?  Burrows moved?  It depends on whether Etem can play or not of course but this gives JB options.  He has some flexibility in the short term and who knows, Etem may turn out to be a huge steal in the long term.

JB wins.  Nice move.

Nice analysis. I have the same read. At low cost, this move gives JB a decent shot at improving the team. And it makes it easier to move Vrbata or Prust at the deadline. (I doubt if Burrows or Higgins goes anywhere this year even if the Canucks are willing to retain salary.)

I still think it is likely that Etem will not be on the team next year, but there is a decent chance he does pan out. My personal estimate is maybe a 25 to 30 percent chance of being on the team next year -- and that is lot more than 0% chance Jensen had of being on the team next year and a lot more than the roughly 10% chance that a 6th round pick ever makes the team. 

But I hope Virtanen is better than Etem. Etem is a bit disappointing (so far) but not terrible for a #29 overall pick (as my earlier post on #29 overall picks shows).  But he would be very disappointing for a #6 pick.

I think what you mean is that Virtanen and Etem are the same type of player -- big, fast, physical, straight-line players who are not strong on "creativity" (i.e. "hockey IQ" or "processing the game"). But I think Virtanen is better and is very likely to be a long-term NHL regular whereas Etem is closer to the margin. 

2 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Suggest you guys watch all 3 parts!!!! WILLIE D IN ONE!!!

Totally recommend those videos. It really shows his determination to make himself a better player. I hope Willie can remind him how good he can be and turn him into a productive player.

After going through some posts, it seems like some people are so excited about his speed and strength, that they're overlooking the fact that Emerson Etem has some pretty sick hands and has more creativity with the puck than some may think. Really liking the trade right now, we really stole him off of the Rangers. 

8 hours ago, Canucks Prophet said:

I think he likes Gaunce's toughness, but Shinkaruk is a question, especially after he drafted Boeser.

Why? They play opposite wings.

Jensen was disappointing. He looked great when brought up by Gillis a few years ago then seemed to go sideways for whatever reasons. Etem to me looks like he could be an elite 3rd liner if everything goes well. 

Baertschi and Etem have similar points throughout their careers. Etem seems to be about a year behind, but it's not like he's underproducing at all. 

One thing I find extremely interesting is that both Etem and Baertschi had a stat line of 3-7-10 in 2012-13. The next year, they both had 11 points, but with various goal and assist totals.

1 hour ago, thejazz97 said:

Baertschi and Etem have similar points throughout their careers. Etem seems to be about a year behind, but it's not like he's underproducing at all. 

One thing I find extremely interesting is that both Etem and Baertschi had a stat line of 3-7-10 in 2012-13. The next year, they both had 11 points, but with various goal and assist totals.

In 38 games for Etem.  Baertschi only played 20 in 2012/13.  

Archived