Sign in to follow this  
Gstank29

Emerson Etem | RW/LW

59 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

So, Etem is a slightly older version of Virtanen.....

Look, Jensen was never going to play for the Canucks again.  He had been passed by on the depth charts.  This was his show me year and he was doing a so so job in Utica.  He needed a fresh start.

Etem  played for the Ducks and the Rangers, both deep (and unforgiving teams).  He has a clear shot at RW for the Canucks, especially since Hansen will be out for 2 weeks on LTIR.

Burrows, Vrbata, Etem, Virtanen, Dorsett.....is all good.

What happens in the future?  If Vrbata moved at the deadline?  Burrows moved?  It depends on whether Etem can play or not of course but this gives JB options.  He has some flexibility in the short term and who knows, Etem may turn out to be a huge steal in the long term.

JB wins.  Nice move.

Nice analysis. I have the same read. At low cost, this move gives JB a decent shot at improving the team. And it makes it easier to move Vrbata or Prust at the deadline. (I doubt if Burrows or Higgins goes anywhere this year even if the Canucks are willing to retain salary.)

I still think it is likely that Etem will not be on the team next year, but there is a decent chance he does pan out. My personal estimate is maybe a 25 to 30 percent chance of being on the team next year -- and that is lot more than 0% chance Jensen had of being on the team next year and a lot more than the roughly 10% chance that a 6th round pick ever makes the team. 

But I hope Virtanen is better than Etem. Etem is a bit disappointing (so far) but not terrible for a #29 overall pick (as my earlier post on #29 overall picks shows).  But he would be very disappointing for a #6 pick.

I think what you mean is that Virtanen and Etem are the same type of player -- big, fast, physical, straight-line players who are not strong on "creativity" (i.e. "hockey IQ" or "processing the game"). But I think Virtanen is better and is very likely to be a long-term NHL regular whereas Etem is closer to the margin. 

2 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Suggest you guys watch all 3 parts!!!! WILLIE D IN ONE!!!

Totally recommend those videos. It really shows his determination to make himself a better player. I hope Willie can remind him how good he can be and turn him into a productive player.

3 hours ago, Outsiders said:

You could tell how excited he was to be drafted by Anaheim. It must have been devastating when they traded him.

After going through some posts, it seems like some people are so excited about his speed and strength, that they're overlooking the fact that Emerson Etem has some pretty sick hands and has more creativity with the puck than some may think. Really liking the trade right now, we really stole him off of the Rangers. 

8 hours ago, Canucks Prophet said:

I think he likes Gaunce's toughness, but Shinkaruk is a question, especially after he drafted Boeser.

Why? They play opposite wings.

Jensen was disappointing. He looked great when brought up by Gillis a few years ago then seemed to go sideways for whatever reasons. Etem to me looks like he could be an elite 3rd liner if everything goes well. 

Good deal...end off.

at worst it costs Canuck a 6th and at best, Etem start to find form, maybe on Medecine Hat line.

Jensen most likely would be dealt at the end of the season anyway. What's not to like?

Baertschi and Etem have similar points throughout their careers. Etem seems to be about a year behind, but it's not like he's underproducing at all. 

One thing I find extremely interesting is that both Etem and Baertschi had a stat line of 3-7-10 in 2012-13. The next year, they both had 11 points, but with various goal and assist totals.

1 hour ago, thejazz97 said:

Baertschi and Etem have similar points throughout their careers. Etem seems to be about a year behind, but it's not like he's underproducing at all. 

One thing I find extremely interesting is that both Etem and Baertschi had a stat line of 3-7-10 in 2012-13. The next year, they both had 11 points, but with various goal and assist totals.

In 38 games for Etem.  Baertschi only played 20 in 2012/13.  

Edited by mll

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

Oh.  Is that a relation to ROR on Buffalo?

i like this Etem's skill set.  If he can take Prust's place that works for me, and I would call it a good move by JB.  I remember Tanner Glass was like that too.  We had a guy here, many years ago, Sergio Momesso.  He was like that too.  Those guys really can help a team, in other ways than score, plus the can put a couple in now and then.  I think Momesso does the Hab's radio?

Maybe they can get lucky like Montreal did with Dale Weise after we let him go.   Your probably right about Prust as we all know he is gone at the deadline.

10 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Definitely worth watching.  It certainly dispells (for me at least) any of the partier allegations about this guy.  Pure character and work ethic.  I'm loving this pickup even more than at first. 

7 hours ago, JamesB said:

Nice analysis. I have the same read. At low cost, this move gives JB a decent shot at improving the team. And it makes it easier to move Vrbata or Prust at the deadline. (I doubt if Burrows or Higgins goes anywhere this year even if the Canucks are willing to retain salary.)

I still think it is likely that Etem will not be on the team next year, but there is a decent chance he does pan out. My personal estimate is maybe a 25 to 30 percent chance of being on the team next year -- and that is lot more than 0% chance Jensen had of being on the team next year and a lot more than the roughly 10% chance that a 6th round pick ever makes the team. 

But I hope Virtanen is better than Etem. Etem is a bit disappointing (so far) but not terrible for a #29 overall pick (as my earlier post on #29 overall picks shows).  But he would be very disappointing for a #6 pick.

I think what you mean is that Virtanen and Etem are the same type of player -- big, fast, physical, straight-line players who are not strong on "creativity" (i.e. "hockey IQ" or "processing the game"). But I think Virtanen is better and is very likely to be a long-term NHL regular whereas Etem is closer to the margin. 

This deal is another confirmation of the Benning fox persona. Bringing Etem in takes some pressure off Virtanen. Another RW will allow the long awaited Vrbata trade in February. Added size allows more vet movement in February.

If Etem does nothing then not much is lost by letting him walk or by moving him by June. Golden opportunity for Etem so he likely wants to re-up with the Canucks.

10 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Stop saying two-ways and Utica. Two-way contracts have no effect on waivers. Etem is waiver eligible regardless of the contract he signs next, same with anyone else.

I know how waivers work.     Don't forget Canucks own 2 teams now and much like Vancouver , Utica is in the middle of the pack in their league on a losing skid, as well they don't have much for scoring depth aside from Shinkaruk.     Being new to their market and having the year they had last year its just as important to fill the seats there as well.  

A player like Etem might be able to get them over the hump and into the playoffs once again unlike the Canucks which need a whole lot more than what Etem can offer them right now.     Etems waiver elegibility is irrelevant this season and can serve the canucks possibily much better at that level especially if he can revive the chemistry he had with Shinkaruk in Medicine Hat.  

As I see it he can be a good development tool in Utica possibly kick starting some secondary scoring down their which they don't really have past Shinkaruk, as Canucks prospect depth is sadly quite shallow in point producers.   

Much like Jenson he has had a few kicks at the can, so I'm sure he is seeing this as one of his last opps,.   

Many players in the Ahl have points and draft positions like Etem that just never had the IT factor to remain in the NHL, not saying he cant or wont just pointing it out.    Just look at Cal Oreilly.     Anyways it would be nice to see at least one player down in Utica benefit from this signing as they desparatly need something to spark some points out of the prospects.   Utica is on the fence right now in the standings and have I believe lost 3 or 4 straight.

Another thing with Utica is they realigned the divisions at season end last year which put them in the east, or northeast division whatever its called, anyways that  has considerably reduced Uticas road miles on the bus as most of the teams now are very close to them in their division unlike last year.

Edited by chilliwiggins

I know Shink isn't in the line up yet man the possibilities. 

Shink - Horvat - Etem 

6 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

I know how waivers work.     Don't forget Canucks own 2 teams now and much like Vancouver , Utica is in the middle of the pack in their league on a losing skid, as well they don't have much for scoring depth aside from Shinkaruk.     Being new to their market and having the year they had last year its just as important to fill the seats there as well.  

A player like Etem might be able to get them over the hump and into the playoffs once again unlike the Canucks which need a whole lot more than what Etem can offer them right now.     Etems waiver elegibility is irrelevant this season and can serve the canucks possibily much better at that level especially if he can revive the chemistry he had with Shinkaruk in Medicine Hat.  

As I see it he can be a good development tool in Utica possibly kick starting some secondary scoring down their which they don't really have past Shinkaruk, as Canucks prospect depth is sadly quite shallow in point producers.   

Much like Jenson he has had a few kicks at the can, so I'm sure he is seeing this as one of his last opps,.   

Many players in the Ahl have points and draft positions like Etem that just never had the IT factor to remain in the NHL, not saying he cant or wont just pointing it out.    Just look at Cal Oreilly.     Anyways it would be nice to see at least one player down in Utica benefit from this signing as they desparatly need something to spark some points out of the prospects.   Utica is on the fence right now in the standings and have I believe lost 3 or 4 straight.

Man, don't you get it?  This guy would never clear waivers.  That's why we had to give up some minor considerations to get him.  Deal with it:  he's on the big club for now, whether you like it or not. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Man, don't you get it?  This guy would never clear waivers.  That's why we had to give up some minor considerations to get him.  Deal with it:  he's on the big club for now, whether you like it or not. 

Please don't feed the trolls. When you respond to these clowns you just encourage them.

30 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

well correct me if I'm wrong but he was brought up technically from the AHL from the rangers affiliate , while Hansen was put on injured reserve to allow Etem to be brought onto the Vancouver roster which puts him in the emergency call up which exempts him from waiver elegibility in my understanding.  that's why Hansen was put on injured reserve.   this is why the rangers sent him down to the farm team  basically same time he was traded so he could be exempted after injury status of Hansen changes back.        am I wrong?   I don't think so

Edited by chilliwiggins

23 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Please don't feed the trolls. When you respond to these clowns you just encourage them.

isn't a troll someone who comments but actually has no valid  or  worthwhile  information in their post of the particular subject being discussed a troll?  lol  something like the comment above mine?   anyways my last comment before this one has something that's possibly valid or true, why don't you try and dismiss it with some facts and I will accept your input as more then what your  claiming.   the word trolling is highly over used in here if someones comments don't agree with the masses. lol

Edited by chilliwiggins

14 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

well correct me if I'm wrong but he was brought up technically from the AHL from the rangers affiliate , while Hansen was put on injured reserve to allow Etem to be brought onto the Vancouver roster which puts him in the emergency call up which exempts him from waiver elegibility in my understanding.  that's why Hansen was put on injured reserve.   this is why the rangers sent him down to the farm team  basically same time he was traded so he could be exempted after injury status of Hansen changes back.        am I wrong?   I don't think so

Yes, you are wrong, totally wrong.  He was sent down on a conditioning assignment, not waivers, which means he was still on the NYR roster. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Yes, you are wrong, totally wrong.  He was sent down on a conditioning assignment, not waivers, which means he was still on the NYR roster. 

he was sent same day to the minors, just before he was traded and Hansen was put on injured reserve so etem was brought onto the team as an emergency callup once Hansen returns and they exceed the maximum limit on the roster my understanding is, because of the status he was brought onto the team, exempts him from elegibilty of being claimed via waivers.   look up emergency callup in the waiver rules and don't forget he was traded for a player on the Utica roster so that as well could be a factor

Edited by chilliwiggins