The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We Canucks fans are extremely lucky...

Matt_T83

To have Chris Tanev on our team.  I mean, the guy is an advanced stats beast.  He's as cool as they come, and he lets his play on the ice speak for him.  

To think that we landed a player of his caliber undrafted is ridiculous.  We were lucky that we got Burrows undrafted (although many Canucks fans seem to have forgotten how awesome he was for us).  If Chris Tanev has the kind of career I think he will, he may go down as one of the top 10 undrafted NHL players of all time, and that's saying something.

On 1/10/2016 at 11:59 PM, Ryanstorm said:

Removed....trolling/substance

He's dropped off a lot lately; I completely agree with that.  But man, Burrows was a 30 goal scorer and a big part of our team from 2009-2012.  We wouldn't have even had our Stanley Cup run in 2011 if it wasn't for his overtime goal against the Chicago Blackhawks.  This was at a time when many Canucks fans felt that Chicago completely had our number (we were up 3-1 in that series, I believe).  

Just now, Matt_T83 said:

He's dropped off a lot lately; I completely agree with that.  But man, Burrows was a 40 goal scorer and a big part of our team from 2009-2012.  We wouldn't have even had our Stanley Cup run in 2011 if it wasn't for his overtime goal against the Chicago Blackhawks.  This was at a time when many Canucks fans felt that Chicago completely had our number (we were up 3-1 in that series, I believe).  

Every player has an end.  Sadly, it's here for Burr.:mellow:.

4 minutes ago, homersexual said:

Tanev need to put up a bit more points. You might want to look at the list of undrafted NHL players again. 6 of them are Hall of famers, and another 2 are borderline.

I have.  Some of them are quite impressive, like Ed Belfour, Adam Oates, Dino Cicarelli, and Peter Statsny.  I'm not saying Tanev will eclipse them.  But players like Borje Salming shouldn't really count because NHL teams didnt' draft nearly as many European players back then, if any at all.  

And take Dan Boyle for example: He had a career high of 20 goals and 43 points in 06-07.  That's not exactly remarkable.  I can list plenty of NHL defenseman with better scoring stats that weren't as good as good as Boyle.  Dan Boyle was exactly what Chris Tanev is:  A good defender that made very few mistakes, and was a leader by example.

I can honestly see Tanev having a long, steady NHL career punctuated by good +/- ratings and excellent fancy stats, and one that could easily equal Dan Boyle.

4 minutes ago, Ryanstorm said:

In my opinion he has given this franchise a bad name.. lol

I think it was both Burr and Kes that were pests back in the day. Prior to their offensive game got going, they were 3/4th liners, and they were agitating to play against for sure! Got under the skins of opponents - drove them absolutely nuts. And when their offensive game got going, they still got under the skin of opponents, and then it got to be too much. But that was the peak man. When they were pests, AND, they were scoring. How irritating would that be to play against? LOL. 

Loved Burr. Unfortunate that the offensive decline comes with every player that has played the game. Kes was good for this franchise when he didn't go crazy. Since his post 2011 days - haven't been a fan of his. 

Doesn't like Canada. Please. The only reason Kes has a career in hockey is because of Canada's game. Without Canada, Kes might be another american, toiling in the minor leagues of the MLB, trying to make it big. B)

24 minutes ago, Matt_T83 said:

He's dropped off a lot lately; I completely agree with that.  But man, Burrows was a 40 goal scorer and a big part of our team from 2009-2012.  We wouldn't have even had our Stanley Cup run in 2011 if it wasn't for his overtime goal against the Chicago Blackhawks.  This was at a time when many Canucks fans felt that Chicago completely had our number (we were up 3-1 in that series, I believe).  

Burrows a 40 goal scorer?  One 35 goal season and three seasons in the 20's hardly qualifies Burrows as a 40 goal scorer.  Unless 20 and 30 is the new 40.  Four seasons of hockey when Burrows was a bonafide top six...the rest of his career he's nothing more than a third liner.

You might want to talk about Tanev in the same sentence as Dan Boyle if Tanev ever becomes a legit top two and plays in a couple Olympics for Team Canada.

Both are or were very good players, and made (and making) a bunch of millions, but neither are or will go down in hockey history as superstars.  Both have been grossly over-rated.

55 minutes ago, Matt_T83 said:

His highest goal total was 35 and that wasn't even during the cup run. He has only had 1 season with over 30 goals. In the 2011 run he had 26....VERY VERY VERY far from a 40 goal scorer. 

2 hours ago, Ryanstorm said:

You're a goof, talk to me when he is in the Hall of fame.. Which is never.

SOOO...you're think a player has to make the hall of fame to have had immense value to an organization?

Wowzers....did you just start learning about the sport bud? Nice selfie by the way!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRdbhJ1FAIDWdu9WPXQ_-4

2 hours ago, Matt_T83 said:

To have Chris Tanev on our team.  I mean, the guy is an advanced stats beast.  He's as cool as they come, and he lets his play on the ice speak for him.  

To think that we landed a player of his caliber undrafted is ridiculous.  We were lucky that we got Burrows undrafted (although many Canucks fans seem to have forgotten how awesome he was for us).  If Chris Tanev has the kind of career I think he will, he may go down as one of the top 10 undrafted NHL players of all time, and that's saying something.

Now that's a positive guy!

2 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Burrows a 40 goal scorer?  One 35 goal season and three seasons in the 20's hardly qualifies Burrows as a 40 goal scorer.  Unless 20 and 30 is the new 40.  Four seasons of hockey when Burrows was a bonafide top six...the rest of his career he's nothing more than a third liner.

28, 35, 26, 28... those are not poor years.

180 goals, 354 points, maybe you need to check and compare Burr's totals with some others around the league.

Burrows has been a consistent excellent player for the Canucks.  PERIOD.  Whatever line he is playing on.

And yeah, he is not having a good year this season... who wouldn't what with the non stop assault on him in the media and the deliberate bias by the refs.

As I have said in the past, the number of bonafide psychos around this league who get free-passes from the mob for their deliberate attempts to injure players... just listen to CBC fall all over themselves to suck up to Keith... and meanwhile we get a crescendo of  whining about some guy who just happens to runs his mouth...  Bullsh*t.  Why aren't the refs on about Keith... or Dustin Brown, or any number of other scumbags.

Why does Tanev have to have goals and assists to prove his worth? He's a defensive defence man. Sure he can chip in once in a while but anyone expecting more then 15-20 points a season is not based in reality. This guy has single handedly saved dozens of games for us. He is an incredible find for being undrafted and is very valuable.

I still remember countless posters bitching about the amount of money we gave him for the new contract he signed and I also remember stating that 2-3 years down the road this will look like a steal for us. He's earning his paycheck each and every game and when he was injured we got to see just how important he is as we were a trainwreck without him.

1 hour ago, RRypien37 said:

His highest goal total was 35 and that wasn't even during the cup run. He has only had 1 season with over 30 goals. In the 2011 run he had 26....VERY VERY VERY far from a 40 goal scorer. 

Still. It's very good production for a guy who was undrafted, and played in the ECHL. 

I love Burr. He is one of the good Canucks. Don't know if I could call Burr a "great Canuck", but he certainly is one of the best. He will be talked about and remembered in Canucks lore. "Slayed the Dragon" (the hawks). 

It's sad to see him in such sharp decline. But he's been a warrior for this franchise. 

2 hours ago, Ryanstorm said:

It was a beautiful goal VS Chicago in many ways, it was a 4-3 series win for us which is why it was so important but maybe he tried a little too hard then and the biting of the fingers and all the drama he has brought since really makes the Canucks look bad when you have class acts like the Sedins which are the only reason he had those 40 goals once upon a time. 

you guys on crack? he never scored 40 goals lol

Archived