The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We want green for start of 2016-17

John Tortorella

10 minutes ago, John Tortorella said:

I dont drink so would have no effect. 

Been greensober since NY and WD is making me lose my mind. 

So let's punt the guy who now has a couple of NHL seasons under his belt and just start over again? Man this is following the Edmonton plan perfectly.

1/ Play bad enough to get #1 picks

2/ Bring back former players as President and GM

3/ Run a carousel of coaches through the locker room.

I don't like where this is headed...

I'm honestly torn between what I want to see done. I think Willie could be an excellent coach if he stopped pandering to veterans/playing favorites. Overall I'd say he's done a decent job developing our young players - but at the same time, he has many questionable decisions with them as well. Why young players who are having an excellent night get limited ice time while players like Higgins, Vey, Weber, Dorsett and Prust get 15+ minutes of ice-time every night while producing NOTHING blows my mind.

If Willie can learn to play the players who are playing well and bench under-performers, I'd support him through anything. But its REALLY hard to support him when Weber is given ice-time over Pedan who has had solid showings so far - and its also ridiculous that Higgins is playing while McCann is in the press box. Why Willie plays our 4th line more than the other three lines, I have no idea.

Needless to say, Willie be burned at the stake by this town if he doesn't smarten up.

18 minutes ago, Fateless said:

I'm honestly torn between what I want to see done. I think Willie could be an excellent coach if he stopped pandering to veterans/playing favorites. Overall I'd say he's done a decent job developing our young players - but at the same time, he has many questionable decisions with them as well. Why young players who are having an excellent night get limited ice time while players like Higgins, Vey, Weber, Dorsett and Prust get 15+ minutes of ice-time every night while producing NOTHING blows my mind.

If Willie can learn to play the players who are playing well and bench under-performers, I'd support him through anything. But its REALLY hard to support him when Weber is given ice-time over Pedan who has had solid showings so far - and its also ridiculous that Higgins is playing while McCann is in the press box. Why Willie plays our 4th line more than the other three lines, I have no idea.

Needless to say, Willie be burned at the stake by this town if he doesn't smarten up.

I think many here argue out of both sides of their mouths, hear me out. Now I am not a huge Willie supporter and I also believe some of his decisions are questionable but:

1. People say Bo is playing great, Baer and McCann are coming along, Hutton is playing great, Marky is coming along, etc etc. We can all agree on that

2. Now, all of number 1 has not occurred in SPITE of Willie folks, it has occurred BECAUSE of his coaching, how about we step back and give the man some credit. He has a lineup with a ton of youth, has had a ton of injuries and we're seeing the emergence of Bo/Baer/McCann/Hutton/Marky etc. Now the vets have something to do with this too (so Benning's strategy is working) but we can't vilify Willie for playing the wrong guys and taking the wrong tact with the young players then commend how the young players are playing! LOL do you not see the absurdity and hypocrisy in such commentary?

3. I think people need to realize, Willie is actually doing a tremendous job with the young guys if you have been watching how they play. I have seen from the start of the year to now, Bo starting to play like a captain, Baer go from mr nervous to a kid I see as a potential first liner who has a high compete level, great motor, and who's playing HARD at both ends of the rink. I see McCann despite being small right now, still competing hard, getting better every game, I see Hutton playing like he's been in the league for 3 years and not being scared to take risks, I see Marky starting to show he can be a number 1.  This has to do with COACHING and player utilization. Willie has ensured they haven't and won't be busted, and they are developing the RIGHT way, and learning to play the game the right way.

4. Unfortunately for many they think its not happening fast enough - these people don't get it . Many seem to assume, well Bo just had a great game or Virt had a great first period, well who needs the vets, but that's not how it works.

The reason they are playing that way is because they are being sheltered, because they are being brought along slowly. Throw them into the fire pit night in night out and what happens after a few games where we're being owned, when they can't handle the pressure or competition (look at Weber-he's being forced to play night in night out, a role he's not ready for and?). As a result, confidence goes down, players get frustrated, they face our stupid media, our rabid and often stupid so called fans...then they bust.

Willie knows what he's doing and the fact the young guys are starting to show some real great signs is a CREDIT TO HIM not because he's handling them wrong - it means he's handling them right.

17 minutes ago, Fateless said:

While I agree with you completely I must point out that McCann is not in the press box, he's getting a rest as the past few games he's looked burned out. He'll be back Monday I'm sure.

3 minutes ago, McCannon said:

I think many here argue out of both sides of their mouths, hear me out. Now I am not a huge Willie supporter and I also believe some of his decisions are questionable but:

1. People say Bo is playing great, Baer and McCann are coming along, Hutton is playing great, Marky is coming along, etc etc. We can all agree on that

2. Now, all of number 1 has not occurred in SPITE of Willie folks, it has occurred BECAUSE of his coaching, how about we step back and give the man some credit. He has a lineup with a ton of youth, has had a ton of injuries and we're seeing the emergence of Bo/Baer/McCann/Hutton/Marky etc. Now the vets have something to do with this too (so Benning's strategy is working) but we can't vilify Willie for playing the wrong guys and taking the wrong tact with the young players then commend how the young players are playing! LOL do you not see the absurdity and hypocrisy in such commentary?

3. I think people need to realize, Willie is actually doing a tremendous job with the young guys if you have been watching how they play. I have seen from the start of the year to now, Bo starting to play like a captain, Baer go from mr nervous to a kid I see as a potential first liner who has a high compete level, great motor, and who's playing HARD at both ends of the rink. I see McCann despite being small right now, still competing hard, getting better every game, I see Hutton playing like he's been in the league for 3 years and not being scared to take risks, I see Marky starting to show he can be a number 1.  This has to do with COACHING an utilization. Willie has ensured they haven't and won't be busted, and they are developing the RIGHT way, and learning to play the game the right way.

4. Unfortunately for many, people seem to assume hell Bo just had a great game or Virt had a great first period, well who needs the vets, but that's not how it works. The reason they are playing that way is because they are sheltered, because they are being brought along slowly. Throw them into the fire pit and what happens after a few games where we're being owned? Confidence goes down, players get frustrated, they face our stupid media, our rabid and often stupid so called fans...then they bust.

Willie knows what he's doing and the fact the young guys are starting to show some real great signs is a CREDIT TO HIM not because he's handling them wrong - it means he's handling them right.

While he definitely deserves some credit on what planet does playing against the Steven Stamkos line consist of "sheltered" playing time for Horvat and Baertschi?

Just now, Mattrek said:

While he definitely deserves some credit on what planet does playing against the Steven Stamkos line consist of "sheltered" playing time for Horvat and Baertschi?

He has no choice. If Sutter was not hurt do you not think that he (sutter) would be facing stammer? Also, Bo is a bit of an anomoly since he was most pro ready out of all of our youth. But you can't be critical of our coaching then say hey the young guys are awesome...who do people think is coaching them! LOL

6 minutes ago, McCannon said:

He has no choice. If Sutter was not hurt do you not think that he (sutter) would be facing stammer? Also, Bo is a bit of an anomoly since he was most pro ready out of all of our youth. But you can't be critical of our coaching then say hey the young guys are awesome...who do people think is coaching them! LOL

While he may not have a choice that is completely besides my point and besides what you stated. You said the young guys are playing the way they are, because they're sheltered. I disagreed and pointed out them being put against the Stamkos line tonight. So are they really actually sheltered or not?

21 minutes ago, McCannon said:

3. I think people need to realize, Willie is actually doing a tremendous job with the young guys if you have been watching how they play. I have seen from the start of the year to now, Bo starting to play like a captain, Baer go from mr nervous to a kid I see as a potential first liner who has a high compete level, great motor, and who's playing HARD at both ends of the rink. I see McCann despite being small right now, still competing hard, getting better every game, I see Hutton playing like he's been in the league for 3 years and not being scared to take risks, I see Marky starting to show he can be a number 1.  This has to do with COACHING and player utilization. Willie has ensured they haven't and won't be busted, and they are developing the RIGHT way, and learning to play the game the right way.

4. Unfortunately for many they think its not happening fast enough - these people don't get it . Many seem to assume, well Bo just had a great game or Virt had a great first period, well who needs the vets, but that's not how it works.

The reason they are playing that way is because they are being sheltered, because they are being brought along slowly. Throw them into the fire pit night in night out and what happens after a few games where we're being owned, when they can't handle the pressure or competition (look at Weber-he's being forced to play night in night out, a role he's not ready for and?). As a result, confidence goes down, players get frustrated, they face our stupid media, our rabid and often stupid so called fans...then they bust.

Oh yea. PEDAN 

wins hardest shot

wins fastest skater

benched in favor of weber

6 hours ago, McCannon said:

Are you kidding me? Take your rose coloured Willy glasses off man! Giving WD all this credit for the young guys performing? So you think no other coach could develop young players huh... it's the players that are doing the developing in spite of WD's stupid playing useless vets, terrible line changes, coddling higgins, burrows and weber, all of which should be benched.

Willy is doing a great job compared to.... who?  WD has made terrible decisions time after time, minor league coach, and he's not learning.

6 hours ago, McCannon said:

Solid post. WD has had to deal with a banged up d-core all year. A d-core that was not solid to begin with. I cringed last night when Weber was on the ice with 2 minutes to go but that is a Canuck reality. Then Craig Simpson chirps in about the Twins sitting when he has no real idea of what detail goes into the coach's decision.

WD is bang on when he talks about the 'process'. The Canucks are rebuilding and that requires a even keel coach. The fans on here have little idea of how Desjardin runs practice or deals with players one on one. Torts was another type all together. WD protects his youth to a degree. He has shown Horvat a big vote of confidence this season as he works through his sophomore season. What he did for Virtanen last night was classic coaching.

Coaching of this roster is all about the process of integrating youth into the NHL to form a new core to replace the Twins who will be gone in 2 to 3 years. It is all about establishing that timeline. It is about moving vets out to create the space and complimenting the young talent.

Much of this is more Benning and Linden's domain but it appears to me that all three have a clear plan. I have advocated a full rebuild for a couple of years now and that has a level of impatience which is not smart. Benning is smart. Still I hope that he does move vets out running into the February trade deadline. He will have substantial CAP space come June and he could sign UFA's to compliment and vet presence after the February sell off.      

Archived