The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Curtis Valk | C/LW

Rollieo Del Fuego

7 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

How well does he elude getting hit?

Fairly well, he's become a player who plays well in traffic. Not afraid at all to go to the dirty areas around the net and in the corners, and he's crafty at avoiding players and finding space. The challenge for him will be to prove that he can still be effective at the NHL level where there's even less space and he's being targeted by faster, smarter players.

6 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Fairly well, he's become a player who plays well in traffic. Not afraid at all to go to the dirty areas around the net and in the corners, and he's crafty at avoiding players and finding space. The challenge for him will be to prove that he can still be effective at the NHL level where there's even less space and he's being targeted by faster, smarter players.

How about compared to... Linden Vey?

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

How about compared to... Linden Vey?

That's tough because I never saw Vey at the AHL level with the Monarchs when he was excelling. Its entirely possible the same could happen to Valk if he gets to the NHL (getting pushed off the puck easily and such) but we'll never know unless he gets a look some day. But when Vey got sent down last year to Utica he looked far worse than Valk does now, just disinterested and sluggish most of the time (although that could possibly be attributed to the weight he put on that summer). I'm certain that Valk's faster though, I don't think any Comets player scored on more breakaways or got as many breakaways as he did this year.

• 1 month later...

I hope he gets re-signed, he has potential and will likely blossom into a great 1st line centre in the AHL. After being injured for much of his early career, he proved that he is a guy with real skill and a mighty fine work ethic (considering how hard he must have worked to come back after injury and make 1st line AHL). A guy with such slick hands and quick speed might just find himself pushing for a call-up, though unlikely it just might happen!

• 1 month later...

Canucks should have offered him a two year entry deal last year. That's a shame. Really liked him and we basically developed him for Florida to then grab, at the end of the day. It does open a spot on Utica, though, for one of the younger guys... so that's good.

Still, dang, I feel like he's gonna surprise and claw his way to the NHL now with Florida.

(Also, Florida really likes our scraps, don't they?!?)

• 4 months later...

Archived