The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Our Defence

laddie

I think we can all agree that we need to improve our current defence group.  Going into next season what do you envision our group of 7 will look like?  With our prospects in the AHL making a push this year and some of our current roster struggling, how different will our group look?  Lets say you can add one realistic player via trade/free agency and put together your group of 7 for the 2016/2017 season.

This Current defence is probably the worst the Canucks have put on the ice in about 15 years.  Id even argue its one of the worst 3 Ds in the NHL.

No legit PP QB, hardly any offence generated from the back end, most of these guys cant make a good first pass out of the zone. Soft as butter.

Boeser, Virt, Bo, Shink, Baertschi and McCann can turn out to be 25 goal scorers, they will flounder like the oilers until they rebuild that back end.  

With all the money being freed up in cap space during the next couple years they better make some wise decisions in the UFA market because they dont have many top end prospects on D.

2 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

This Current defence is probably the worst the Canucks have put on the ice in about 15 years.  Id even argue its one of the worst 3 Ds in the NHL.

No legit PP QB, hardly any offence generated from the back end, most of these guys cant make a good first pass out of the zone. Soft as butter.

Boeser, Virt, Bo, Shink, Baertschi and McCann can turn out to be 25 goal scorers, they will flounder like the oilers until they rebuild that back end.  

With all the money being freed up in cap space during the next couple years they better make some wise decisions in the UFA market because they dont have many top end prospects on D.

Is Buff a guy to go after?  Who would be a better coming UFA?

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is Buff a guy to go after?  Who would be a better coming UFA?

Not sure who they can go after, whoever it is will most likely be an improvement over guys like Weber and Bartkowski. The scary thing about the UFA route is that not many high profile UFAs will want to come here if the team is perceived to be in a rebuild stage for a few years...and the good old Canadian dollar may start to play a role in all this. In light of this Canucks will probably have to drastically over pay to get a legit top 4 d man.

2 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

Not sure who they can go after, whoever it is will most likely be an improvement over guys like Weber and Bartkowski. The scary thing about the UFA route is that not many high profile UFAs will want to come here if the team is perceived to be in a rebuild stage for a few years...and the good old Canadian dollar may start to play a role in all this. In light of this Canucks will probably have to drastically over pay to get a legit top 4 d man.

It's looking like we need to either trade for a young D, who has elite potential - like Columbus just did with Jones.  Or, we have to get lucky in the draft.  I look at the top guys around the league, and they all seem to share one special quality - they are super high Hockey Q guys.  Maybe that's part of the character stuff JB keeps harping on getting in the draft or through trades?

2 minutes ago, laddie said:

Winnipeg needs to make a decision between signing Trouba or Buff.  I don't see them letting go of Trouba but in that event he might be a nice addition

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Trouba

Sbisa - Fedun

Biega

Trouba would be great, but wouldn't the Jets be looking at moving him for Hamonic?

Buff would make a big difference if we could land him.  He won't be cheap (8 mil + on the open market is my guess) but that's still where I'd put most of the cap we'll be freeing up.  Players like him are unique and almost never hit FA but in this case there's a very good chance.  With him, Sbisa, Edler, Pedan, and potentially Tryamkin in the lineup, we'd be a whole lot harder to play against down low and in the crease.  Buff, Edler and Huton could also provide reasonable offensive support.  Failing Buff, I'd target Demers (if he makes it to FA) just because he shoots right, but he isn't anything like the physical or offensive presence that Buff is. 

Pittsburg this year has been a good example.  With all of their firepower upfront they struggled getting the puck to them.  Then Letang comes back and everything seems to be right again.  We have some solid forward prospects but unless we can get the right guy through the draft or free agency we may need to look at trading one of those prospects to get what we need.

We definitely need to shore up the D. Once Sbisa gets back, we'll have to 4 NHL caliber D, with Edler, Tanev and Hutton. I had thought that Bart's play was better the past few games, more grit, but yesterday he really regressed. We need to get Edler back to about 18 minutes, he's looking tired, which causes mistakes. I don't think at this stage we need Lucic as much as we need a top pairing D-man.

I hope when he returns, Sbisa continues his development. He could be a top pairing with Hutton. Short of any signings, I see next year looking like this:

Hutton-Sbisa

Edler-Tanev

Biega-Pedan

Bartkowski 

I don't expect to see it, but optimistically:

1st pair    Edler-Tanev

2nd pair  Hutton-?

3rd pair and depth:   Pedan, Tryamkin, Biega and Sbisa

The question mark could be a healthy Hamhuis but would more likely be a RHD acquired via trade or free agency.  I really hope that acquisition is relatively young and not on a term that takes him far into his 30's. 

Byfuglien would figure to greatly improve the defence in the short term, but I don't like the risk involved in giving him the length of term it would require to bring him to Vancouver.   Byfuglien will be 31 at the start of next season.  We've recently seen the play of Higgins, Bieksa and Hamhuis and Burrows start to decline by the age of 32.

Realistically, that's still not a strong group.  Canucks would be lucky if Pedan and Tryamkin could improve things much in 2016-17.  Biega plays an intelligent game with a good work ethic but doesn't have the size and skill to make much of an impact.  I consider him just about the perfect #7 or 8, someone who on a good team wouldn't noticeably hurt the team when stepping in.  Sbisa is somewhat physical but his hockey play is still depth level and imo it's unrealistic to expect him to improve much at the age of 26 and after 8 seasons in the NHL (this is his 8th season, not counting 2009-10 in which he played only 8 NHL games) and if Pedan or Tryamkin are good enough to play then Sbisa's physical play becomes much less a factor.

I don't expect the Canucks to re-sign Weber and will be disappointed if they re-sign Bartkowski.

Edler, and Weber are a huge problem. Hamhuis should pack it in also. Also though, why do they play Edler in critical situations ? Do the coaches have a clue ? They also play Vey in critical situations as if he could make a positive difference. The biggest problem with this team is the coaches. Then the D. Then the president and GM. Then the owner.

we need to be able to move edler and tanev down to the 2nd pairing and coupling a strong defensive d man with our # 1 d man shattenkirk...and put in place a better break out system...teams know that if they can get on our d, they can own our zone...cut edler's ice time back ...we have lots of 5/6/7 d-men.....

Archived