The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] LA wants Lucic, Brown possible casualty

Boddy604

4 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

why would they want to trade toffoli or pearson, younger, cheaper, and more reliable offensively

Apparently Lombardi really want to retain Lucic. I could see Pearson being traded (plus the buyout of Brown's contract) to make room cap space for Lucic.

Personally, I wouldn't go this route, but Lombardi really likes Lucic and the possibility of him going to a divisional rival in the off-season. He'll do anything and everything to re-signing him.

13 hours ago, shiznak said:

Apparently Lombardi really want to retain Lucic. I could see Pearson being traded (plus the buyout of Brown's contract) to make room cap space for Lucic.

Personally, I wouldn't go this route, but Lombardi really likes Lucic and the possibility of him going to a divisional rival in the off-season. He'll do anything and everything to re-signing him.

Benning also likes Lucic. I suspect they talked before Benning took the Vancouver job.

Benning: "When your contract's up. Call me."

Grinning Lucic: "Sure will boss"

28 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Benning also likes Lucic. I suspect they talked before Benning took the Vancouver job.

Benning: "When your contract's up. Call me."

Grinning Lucic: "Sure will boss"

Obviously a little sarcasm from you but it did strike me as odd when Lucic was talking to media about it being his dream to play in Vancouver right after he was traded to the Kings. Pre Benning, last I heard Lucic say anything about Vancouver was him saying he hates this city and will never come back. It's unlikely but it is possible he was serious and will hold out to make it happen. Kings need to sign a goalie, 3 d men, and ship out one of their 4 mill+ contracts before they can even get serious about keeping Lucic. That's a big undertaking.

Lucic has said it's always been a dream to play for the Canucks so he might hold off signing to see if he can work things out with Benning? Maybe?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=777956

"Los Angeles Kings forward Milan Lucic, entering the final year of his contract, said Monday he's always dreamed of playing for his hometown Vancouver Canucks."

18 minutes ago, vladimirpuck said:

Lucic has said it's always been a dream to play for the Canucks so he might hold off signing to see if he can work things out with Benning? Maybe?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=777956

"Los Angeles Kings forward Milan Lucic, entering the final year of his contract, said Monday he's always dreamed of playing for his hometown Vancouver Canucks."

His attitude towards Vancouver sure changed. Gotta wonder how much of that might be in part because of Benning. Him and Lucic do go way back.

All I see is everybody wants Byfuglien but he is going on 31 has had questionable work ethic his whole career is not great defensively and wants a long term deal big money deal good luck with that.

But he is a good skater for his size and his physical right hand shot  and offensive abilities are quite an asset.

However anything more than a 4 year deal is too long and a cap hit of more than 7 mil is too rich  and risky to give out fully guaranteed and risk having to buy him out when he is 35 plus fat and lazy and eats himself out of the league like Dustin Penner.

10 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If he wants to win a cup then he shouldn't sign to a transitional team like ours.

If he just wants to be a Canuck then we better get him at a hometown discount.

Don't know how effective Milan Lucic will be in 3-4 years time when the league values speed and skill over size and brute physicality. 

His skating is not great and the game gets faster each year and the guys who rely on physicality the most get less effective as they age unless they have enough of other elements to their game that make up for it like skill,speed, scoring and being good defensively.

2 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Don't know how effective Milan Lucic will be in 3-4 years time when the league values speed and skill over size and brute physicality. 

His skating is not great and the game gets faster each year and the guys who rely on physicality the most get less effective as they age unless they have enough of other elements to their game that make up for it like skill,speed, scoring and being good defensively.

Speed is not as big of a factor as you're suggesting. You're stating it like everyone is going to be buzzing around at 40 km an hour. The league is already fast and players keep flourishing in spite of that.

I also see players like Iginla and Doan still being effective at their age.

Lucic can put up points. He has throughout his career which includes the playoffs. 

He has been very healthy despite being one of the most physical players in the league.

I only want him here at a hometown discount which is unlikely in my eyes.

I am just saying do not downplay him. He is the type of player that helps you win cups. LA got him for that reason and are trying to sign him for that reason.

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Speed is not as big of a factor as you're suggesting. You're stating it like everyone is going to be buzzing around at 40 km an hour. The league is already fast and players keep flourishing in spite of that.

I also see players like Iginla and Doan still being effective at their age.

Lucic can put up points. He has throughout his career which includes the playoffs. 

He has been very healthy despite being one of the most physical players in the league.

I only want him here at a hometown discount which is unlikely in my eyes.

I am just saying do not downplay him. He is the type of player that helps you win cups. LA got him for that reason and are trying to sign him for that reason.

I guess we will see come playoff time but Lucic doesn't play as physical as he did when he was with Boston. Also in general there are less big hits now and I was talking about more of the pace of the game being faster not just players.

I wonder if the league ever decides to increase the rink size to open up some more space for offense a happy medium between the Euro size and North American size. Would be bad news for the grinders though.

2 hours ago, Boddy604 said:

His attitude towards Vancouver sure changed. Gotta wonder how much of that might be in part because of Benning. Him and Lucic do go way back.

His attitude towards Vancouver never changed. He still trains and makes his home here, in the off-season. One quote that was taken out of context, and people assume he hates Vancouver. He did apologized afterwards and said he still loves the city and the people.

Fans has painted Lucic as the villain, ever since the 2011 playoffs, but he has done nothing wrong. In fact, the people who harass Lucic are the villains here. 

25 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

I guess we will see come playoff time but Lucic doesn't play as physical as he did when he was with Boston. Also in general there are less big hits now and I was talking about more of the pace of the game being faster not just players.

I wonder if the league ever decides to increase the rink size to open up some more space for offense a happy medium between the Euro size and North American size. Would be bad news for the grinders though.

Lucic is 10th in hits right now. He was 10th last season and 12th the season before.

The pace has been faster for quite a bit now. This is it. The league is fast paced now. It is at where you think it is already. The problem is that there are a few teams who haven't caught up or that are trying to figure out an identity, which includes our own team.

I still see hard hits in today's game. Not as vicious as maybe 10, 20 and 30 years ago because of the league. This is a different era and all types of players evolve besides enforcers, you have to actually be able to play hockey in today's game.

That's a what if scenario. 

Like I said I only want Lucic if it is the right type of contract for us which is pretty unlikely. However I do recognize what he is capable of. He won't steal a series but his presence will be more then felt in it in more ways than one.

Now I am off to bed. Good night and go canucks go.

Archived