The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are the Canucks Confused?

Lord Wolf

While we were extremely lucky to beat Carolina last night, thanks to Markstrom, I see a disturbing pattern in the Canucks' overall play.  They do not always seem to be on the same page.  How many times to we see errant passes, Canucks running into each other, or being way out of position?  While anybody can make a mistake, the pattern is so consistent that I have to ask whether Desjardins, or the other coaches, are communicating clearly with the players.

The players are pros, so barring the occasional blunder (cough) Edler, they should have a pretty good handle on what's expected of them, but somehow, the bad passes and poor positional play continue.  What has to happen to make the team more cohesive?

But the problem has been there since the beginning of the season.  Granted, the new guys take a while to settle in, and injuries have not helped, but the team still gives the sense of, "Hey Coach!  What do I do now?"  I mean, is Edler really that bad, or does he not have a clear sense of what he is supposed to do at any given time?  

What does Desjardins have to do to get his message across?  Or does he, in fact, have a clear idea of what the team should do?

1 minute ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

some of this fanbase has hyped up Sutter and Sbisa to be the saviours of this team. They will be surprised once those two return.

Well, they'll be better for us than Sanguinetti or Subban at this point.

21 minutes ago, RaymondT said:

No surprise here. With injuries and the new kids, this team has been piecemeal since the opener. Higher expectations are unrealistic.

13 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

no, just their fans..

That about sums it up. A lot of new faces in the lineup, and plenty of personnel changes to this point.

It's a hodge podge line up, we've been needing D help and oddly enough with Biega in and Weber out it might be less of a circus back there. That's if BartK can minimize his turnovers. Edler well..you never know. 

Higgins is gone one less floater. But we got a couple more floaters in Prust and Burr. 

McCann needs his confidence back he passed when he should have shot.

We need an elite top 6 forward, a heavy top 9 player like Lucic, or Lucic and two top 4 D man.

We should have so much money this summer if we can unload Vrbata, Hamhuis, Burrows and maybe Miller. That's 20+ million right there.

Plus we have rookies that are ready to make the jump

-Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Grenier, Pedan

I know it's not going to happen, but signing Stamkos, Lucic and a top 4 dman would instantly make us a contending team.

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - UFA

Sbisa - Pedan (hard hitting pairing)

5 minutes ago, Lockhart said:

We need an elite top 6 forward, a heavy top 9 player like Lucic, or Lucic and two top 4 D man.

We should have so much money this summer if we can unload Vrbata, Hamhuis, Burrows and maybe Miller. That's 20+ million right there.

Plus we have rookies that are ready to make the jump

-Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Grenier, Pedan

I know it's not going to happen, but signing Stamkos, Lucic and a top 4 dman would instantly make us a contending team.

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - UFA

Sbisa - Pedan (hard hitting pairing)

BIG BUFFUGLIN  done.

anyone post that has no real substance i wish there wasnt a million of these garbage threats omg omg the sky is falling lol

wait and see when we are healthy sbisa and sutter will help this team  less pressure on mccann, horvat and hutton  so they will  keep helping the team  i think we will go on a win spree when they are back  helping raise vey, vrbata, burrows, prusts trade value before deadline day. Gaunce, grenier and shinkaruk are nhl ready pretty much. Its time to go full youth movement and ship underperforming vets out for players that are hungry 

26 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

anyone post that has no real substance i wish there wasnt a million of these garbage threats omg omg the sky is falling lol

wait and see when we are healthy sbisa and sutter will help this team  less pressure on mccann, horvat and hutton  so they will  keep helping the team  i think we will go on a win spree when they are back  helping raise vey, vrbata, burrows, prusts trade value before deadline day. Gaunce, grenier and shinkaruk are nhl ready pretty much. Its time to go full youth movement and ship underperforming vets out for players that are hungry 

This is idiocy. Vey's not going anywhere. He's been one of our best players since coming up. Why so quick to ship him in favor of Gaunce and Grenier? Gaunce and Grenier have both gone cold in Utica.

I believe JB traded for Etem to see if being reunited with Vey and Willie could resurrect his career. Small sample size so far, but they look great together! I know he's a little older and has a more complete resume, but in every game Vey has looked tons better than Shinkaruk did who spent his audition falling down and floating around the perimeter. Neither he nor Grenier sniffed a good chance, yet Vey looks dangerous three or four times a game.

Vey and Etem are a perfect third line duo, but Gaunce and Grenier are looking like fourth line fodder. Why do our fans overvalue our prospects and undervalue the choices made by other teams. Shink needs to stay in Utica, then go on a Horvat lifting and skatng program over the summer to gain about 15 pounds of muscle and stronger on his blades, because right now he's way too skinny.

Its like all the CDC posters waiting for Jensen to turn it around after the organization had clearly given up on him. Just because somebody's a high draft choice does not mean they'll be an NHL regular.

Also, whats up with people putting Pedan in the D rotation next year, but not Biega? Pedan was not ready to crack the lineup this year, but Biega's now a regular playing big minutes. Biega is better than Pedan, quicker, faster, and thinks the game at a faster pace. Biega is a 5-6 while Pedan is obviously a 7-8. Yeesh. Trust management to know who's ready and who isn't.

Archived