The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The curious case of Benjamin Hutton

DefCon1

So with Hutton's 1st NHL goal out of the way, does anybody here think he can become a 1st pairing d-man in a couple of years with how quickly he is developing? He is smart on the defensive side of the puck and already makes better decisions than Edler when it comes to some of the offensive plays. He seems at times way too passive but at least his shot doesn't get blocked every time like when Edler shoots. I hope JB gets a veteran UFA d-man that could be paired with Hutton and show him the ropes once Hamhuis gets traded. We all know Tanev will be playing with Edler so Hutton should be paired with someone not named Sbisa, Bartkowski or Weber.

+1 for thread title.

I honestly can't project where he ends up.  He's promising, but I've seen guys after a decent half-rookie year become really good or just disappear altogether.

If things go perfectly, I think we have another Doug Lidster, and that's a solid 1st pairing D-man.

But he could also go the way of 50 people I could name that nobody can remember.  It's just too early to make a good projection, at least for me.

5 minutes ago, sxqhfeh said:

no

Is there a reason why its a no? Hutton is still young and still has potential to improve his offensive side of the game and I do see some flashes of brilliance from him from time to time when he moves the puck from the defensive zone to the offensive zone. I think he doesn't get much points or goals because of his passiveness and hopefully he can shoot more and get more opportunity on the 1st unit PP. 

17 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

+1 for thread title.

I honestly can't project where he ends up.  He's promising, but I've seen guys after a decent half-rookie year become really good or just disappear altogether.

If things go perfectly, I think we have another Doug Lidster, and that's a solid 1st pairing D-man.

But he could also go the way of 50 people I could name that nobody can remember.  It's just too early to make a good projection, at least for me.

I would rather see 50 something Doug Lidster himself paired with Hutton than Weber.

I hope not. We need a top pairing of that actually scares the opposition into backing up in the o zone and can stand their ground on defence see Chi Keith and Seabrook. I like Hutton a lot and I really hope he Pans out to be a very good 3-4 D but it's a bit early to be planning the parade.  

Edler XXX

Hutton Tanev it think this would be best for Hutton's development. and our team.

Pedan Biega

Sbisa Tryamkin

6 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I hope not. We need a top pairing of that actually scares the opposition into backing up in the o zone and can stand their ground on defence see Chi Keith and Seabrook Ufa (nudges Benning). I like Hutton a lot and I really hope he Pans out to be a very good 3-4 D but it's a bit early to be planning the parade.  

Edler Seabrook

Hutton Tanev

Pedan Biega

Sbisa Tryamkin

Seabrook signed an extension. He's not hitting the market.

the way he,s playing right now we don't have a choice. if he,s going to become really good or not in the future we have to wait and see but he,s not looking out of place. another unexpected bonus this year .personally i think he,ll be pretty good.

This thread has reminded me that Weber should never play another game in a Canucks uniform, nonetheless ruin the development of Hutton. 

Hutton's good, and the best part of it is that he has no prior affiliation to this current management group. With WD, Vey, Etem, Dorsett were all acquired, JB drafted McCann and Virtanen, he wants to see them succeed. JB even drafted Miller way back in Buffalo. Most of our recent acquisitions in the last 2 years have had prior connections with our management, whereas Hutton comes in, plays his butt off and you can't criticize him for not earning it. 

I don't know if he'll be a #1 guy, but he played more than 3 of our D tonight. He's quickly become a mainstay on that second pairing. 

Hopefully he could have that top-pairing upside alongside a defensive rock to his right but until he shows that upside I think it's best to curb expectations.  He definitely is coming along but even the best of them could face sophomore slumps or peak too early so it's best to not let a hot start get everyone too excited.

That said, if the team could get someone like Fabbro in this draft (projected as two-way force like Ryan McDonagh but right-handed) then there could be a solid pairing to succeed Edler and Tanev should both the kids grow into big-minute studs.  In the meantime, getting Demers in the off-season next to him would be solid as well.

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

+1 for thread title.

Fair enough.It is hard to project young defencemen. But his progress so far has been very impressive. I like his mental game. That is not just "hockey IQ" -- being in the right place at the right time. But in addition he is poised and calm. And, as WD said in the post-game interview, he is able to make positive plays in big situations instead of just being passive. And Hutton said in his own interview he will be doing more of that as time goes on. He reads the play so well, he will not be pinching at the wrong time like Sbisa does.

So I am optimistic about his trajectory and would give pretty good odds of him becoming at least a solid top 4 D. It would be nice if he had a good defensive partner.

The comparison with Lidster is interesting. But I am going full Lidstrom for my comparison. Let's hope we have the next Niklas Listrom. (Not likely, I admit, but this is a good time to be optimistic.)

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

Fair enough.It is hard to project young defencemen. But his progress so far has been very impressive. I like his mental game. That is not just "hockey IQ" -- being in the right place at the right time. But in addition he is poised and calm. And, as WD said in the post-game interview, he is able to make positive plays in big situations instead of just being passive. And Hutton said in his own interview he will be doing more of that as time goes on. He reads the play so well, he will not be pinching at the wrong time like Sbisa does.

So I am optimistic about his trajectory and would give pretty good odds of him becoming at least a solid top 4 D. It would be nice if he had a good defensive partner.

The comparison with Lidster is interesting. But I am going full Lidstrom for my comparison. Let's hope we have the next Niklas Listrom. (Not likely, I admit, but this is a good time to be optimistic.)

And here we go.  Everybody is going to be the next Lidstrom.  Alex Biega... will be the next Lidstrom.

You need patience with young players.  Look at Bo Horvat.  You can't put too much pressure on a young player who's bound to be somewhat inconsistent.  Let him show what he can do and just enjoy it, without putting stupid first-pairing or Norris expectations on him,

Archived