The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks looking to move Hamhuis, Vrbata, Prust, Weber, possibly Burrows and Higgins

Odd.

With Vancouver trending towards a youth movement, and various veteran players rumored to be available, another long-time Canucks' future with the team is in limbo.

Since sending left wing Chris Higgins down to the AHL, speculation has been percolating over the futures of veterans Dan Hamhuis, Brandon Prust, Yannick Weber and Radim Vrbata.

All four players are set to become unrestricted free agents July 1.

However, another veteran member of the Canucks, Alex Burrows, understands his time with the team could be running out.

"You think about it (future), but you want to be a good team guy," Burrows told the Vancouver Province.

"(Former Canucks Brendan Morrison, Markus Naslund and Todd Bertuzzi) told us they wished they would have enjoyed it more while they were still playing, so obviously that message resonates more with the older guys than younger guys. And for me, that's how I see it. Keep having fun because one day it will be taken from you, and it will be too late to look back."

Burrows, 34, has one-year left on his contract after this season. He owns a no-trade clause and would have to approve any deal the Canucks try to make.

With Canucks GM Jim Benning taking calls on other veteran players, there is a chance he entertains offers for Burrows, as the Canucks could receive a greater return for him this season as oppose to next season.

Burrows also indicated that he spoke with Higgins, who "saw it coming," and mentioned that he recognizes that "we're moving into a youth movement and it's part of the business.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/van160117.html

Pretty obvious. After what happened with Higgins, the Veterans know that the time for them could be running out. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if Vrbata/Weber/Hamhuis get traded at the TDL. 

If the Canucks are looking to trade Burrows, this year would probably be the best year as his trade value could possibly sink even further next year than it is right now. Burrows has been great to the franchise, but he knows it's a part of business. 

Speculation would be if Bob Mackenzie or Elliotte Friedman were doing the speculating, not some blog that tells you the obvious... that UFA's might possibly be moved at the deadline.

We shall see but this is why trade deadline day is like Christmas for me.

4 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

You didn't need that blog to tell you what half of CDC has been saying for 6 months now.

We shall see but this is why trade deadline day is like Christmas for me.

like the holacaust for the players leaving though.lol

It will be a very tough day when/if Alex Burrows is traded. There have been few players for the Canucks who have been better 'team' players over the years. Amazing how quickly so many forget what he has done. The reality is that it is about winning and that means realizing value when players no longer jive with the roster time line. If value is not offered for Burrows I can see him playing out his contract as a solid PK'er and mentor for younger players.

I would add Bartkowski to the list as well.   

CDC must have written it.  Or any Canuck fan, for that matter.  Benning hasn't said he's been getting calls on vets; to the contrary, other teams always ask for the young players.

If need be, we should retain on Vrbata to maximize his trade value.  It's only for this year, so we can retain on Burrows or even Higgins next year if required, or one of them this year too (since we can only retain on up to 3 players at once).  Suck it up, Sir Aqua, so Bossman JB can gitterdun!

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

It will be a very tough day when/if Alex Burrows is traded. There have been few players for the Canucks who have been better 'team' players over the years. Amazing how quickly so many forget what he has done. The reality is that it is about winning and that means realizing value when players no longer jive with the roster time line. If value is not offered for Burrows I can see him playing out his contract as a solid PK'er and mentor for younger players.

I would add Bartkowski to the list as well.   

I think it's going to be really tough to move Burrows based on his current play and how much the refs have it out for him since the Auger incident. I think a lot of teams would pass on him because of it. 

17 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

problem is that, like higgins, he's not expiring this year.

i don't think he'd have any value this year. 

I think Higgins will be bought out at the years end. You're right, he has no value, we can't move him.

Honestly, I have a nagging feeling that at least Vrbata's getting moved. I think the Canucks will be very active this year at the TD. 

3 minutes ago, The Weasel said:

I think it's going to be really tough to move Burrows based on his current play and how much the refs have it out for him since the Auger incident. I think a lot of teams would pass on him because of it. 

Quite possible. The Auger incident was a serious black eye for the NHL and for CBC HNIC via the MacLean smear job. They tried to run Burrows out of the NHL but failed because of Burrow's continued fine play and because Van fans stood by him.

That said a change of venue could lessen that history. When you talk about Burrows play it has slid. He still has value as a 3rd line option with a great PK history. Add his superior shoot out skill. Burrows has a solid rep with NHL gm's. Yzerman picked him up for the World Cup a couple of years ago where he played great after an injury. I think there would be a market.

I echo Boudrias.  Alex Burrows has played solidly for the Canucks his entire career.  Even now, while his scoring is down, his contributions to the team still make him valuable.  Personally, I'd like to see him retire as a Canuck, but in these days of hockey as a business rather than a sport, his time may be limited.

It would be strange to see him agitating against the Canucks for another team.

At a certain point there's a cut off from his past successes to the reality of his contract/performance benefit to the club. We have guys that could replace him at a fraction of the price financially...but as for top 6 minutes and pp time?..I think those should be going to the young guns.

I think now we start looking at the legacy of his career here.

I don't think teams are lining up for a guy with 1 point in his last 24 games. Not to mention someone who may affect the view of your team among the refs (sad, but true).

I think Burrows will probably be bought out at the end of the season. It probably makes more sense to Benning to take a 1.5 hit for 2 years, rather than retaining 2.25 for 1 to find a taker, since this offseason is the one where he wants to land some FA's.

17 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

nobodys untradeable.   Higgins can be in a package , or injurys on playoff bound team can change Higgins situation.

Exactly. It may be a bit early to trade for depth players. The closer we get to the TD and players start moving, interest for Higgins type players will go up imo.

Archived