The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Freidman "I wouldn't be surprised if The Canucks threw some serious money at Stamkos"

Freidman was just on the Fan960 and said, "If Stamkos gets to free agency, I wouldn't be surprised if Vancouver threw some serious money at him."

He also said that he didn't think the Leafs would get into a bidding war for Stamkos, but he thought they at least make an offer for him. 

Thoughts? What would you pay Stamkos?

1 minute ago, chickenman92 said:

Freidman was just on the Fan960 and said, "If Stamkos gets to free agency, I wouldn't be surprised if Vancouver threw some serious money at him."

He also said that he didn't think the Leafs would get into a bidding war for Stamkos, but he thought they at least make an offer for him. 

Thoughts? What would you pay Stamkos?

Nothing and this is was said to generate traffic towards his twitter.

Anything over $8.8 million handcuffs this team.

Our strengths currently are at center, our needs pressingly in order are

• PMD RH and LH
  • Crease clearing monster that can skate D
  • Solid offense first RW/LW
  • 2 way Lw/RW

We are coaching the offense out of our players in order to make them more defensively responsible.  We are needing D of both types in the worst way.  Stammer would be a HUGE draw for sure, but we've more pressing needs than another Sundin type contract regardless of how attractive it may seem

If he goes to free agency, I'm sure several teams would be willing to throw a 7 year deal somewhere in the $10M-$11M per year range. If he wants to go to a Canadian team, the Leafs, Canucks, and Jets will have the cap space to do it. We'll find out when free agency comes.

1 minute ago, Down by the River said:

There is no doubt that Stamkos is an elite talent, but IMO he doesn't fit the Kopitar/Toews/Kane/Crosby/Malkin/Parise/Getzlaf, etc. echelon. To give him that kind of money would be a mistake. 

To me, this mistake would be to not even try to sign him.

He would be worth every penny in my books. Granted he doesn't fit the team's current needs, but you can always re-shuffle the priorities if Stamkos was in the fold.

5 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Hope so. But done responsibly. We're gonna need someone to replace Hank in a couple years. Doubt he's going to be player then that he is now thus no first line center. And there's no guarantee anyone we have now will fill that void. 

Why wouldn't he be? He is 25 right now....in 2 years when the Twins contracts are up he would be 27. That's just the entry into the prime years for most players. 

He's on the decline, I definitely wouldn't want him for how much money he's going to ask for.

He also needs a good playmaker on his line. He's not an Ovechkin, Kane or a Malkin who can create their own offense.

His numbers will likely go down as well playing in the West as he is a pretty soft player, so anything over 8.5 no thanks.

Archived