The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Lightning suspend Drouin indefinitely without pay for 'failing to report' for his AHL game

Odd.

The Jonathan Drouin trade watch advisory system has risen from elevated levels to high.

The disgruntled Tampa Bay Lightning forward was suspended by the Lightning indefinitely without pay for his failure to report to an AHL Syracuse Crunch game in Toronto Wednesday night.

From the team’s press release:

“Tampa Bay Lightning forward Jonathan Drouin has been suspended indefinitely without pay by the team after his failure to report for tonight’s game between the Syracuse Crunch and the Toronto Marlies, vice president and general manager Steve Yzerman announced this evening. The team will make no further comment at this time.”

Drouin did skate with the Crunch at morning practice.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/jonathan-drouin-suspended-by-lightning-for-failure-to-report-to-game/

Drouin, you need to smarten up.

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Someone should introduce these two.

I gotta take Drouin's side if what his agent says is true.

TB says one thing, does another, says a trade is close, refuses to mitigate potential risk to said player... Drouin's a young player. I get that he just wants to play, it's just unfortunate that Cooper doesn't seem to be in favour of him.

If this was Horvat, or Virtanen doing this and this news came out about JB, everyone would be all over JB and wanting his head, not blaming the player. As always there are two sides to every story, and TB is not going to divulge publicly what they don't need to so as to retain some level of trade value with Drouin as an asset.

What the agent has just said I think helps to retain some of that value. I sure wouldn't want to be Yzerman right now.

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Someone should introduce these two.

I gotta take Drouin's side if what his agent says is true.

TB says one thing, does another, says a trade is close, refuses to mitigate potential risk to said player... Drouin's a young player. I get that he just wants to play, it's just unfortunate that Cooper doesn't seem to be in favour of him.

If this was Horvat, or Virtanen doing this and this news came out about JB, everyone would be all over JB and wanting his head, not blaming the player. As always there are two sides to every story, and TB is not going to divulge publicly what they don't need to so as to retain some level of trade value with Drouin as an asset.

What the agent has just said I think helps to retain some of that value. I sure wouldn't want to be Yzerman right now.

I'm on Drouin's side on this. Tampa should have traded him by now. They've had half a year to do this. 

Yzerman's being a hard ass and trying to prove some sort of a point. The player needs to be moved. Get it done with, what's the point in punishing him? How does it help Tampa.

Its looks like Yzerman took this personally, it's not personal, it's just business.  

Get over it dude and trade the guy.

14 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Career dRuined.

Why? I think it'll be better for him to get out of Tampa, He's just forcing Yzerman to make a move as Yzerman hasn't  done so even though he's had plenty of time.

THis might be the best thing for Drouin's career. 

Just now, WHL rocks said:

I'm on Drouin's side on this. Tampa should have traded him by now. They've had half a year to do this. 

Yzerman's being a hard ass and trying to prove some sort of a point. The player needs to be moved. Get it done with, what's the point in punishing him? How does it help Tampa.

Its looks like Yzerman took this personally, it's not personal, it's just business.  

Yzerman doesnt have a mellow bone in his body..hardass all the way..he is hanging this kid out to dry..trade him....

6 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

The idea that players under contract call the shots is ridiculous.

His job is to play hockey, not to tell GMs how to do their job. Thinking that getting himself suspended is going to do anything to help his career is pretty dumb.

Yzerman has enough on his plate to worry about trying to not lose a franchise player in Stamkos. Last thing he needs is some whiny 20 year old making demands.

It takes time to make a trade. Especially for a player that was supposed to be a future cornerstone of his team. The funny thing is, it sounds like a trade was close. It might not be so close anymore though.

16 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

You serious?   Unless he broke a bone or tore a ligament his stock did not plummet.  Half the league wants this kid on their team

I'm half-serious. I think there's something to that trade, but I doubt it will ever happen.

1 minute ago, Tavrohorvat53 said:

Can't believe how incompetent Stevie y is being with his star players. 

One mans trash is another mans treasure. Thank you Stevie.

also this is why you don't get a player to be the gm. He has no clue what he's doing. 

I LOVE IT!!!! 

Yeah such a terrible GM went to the finals last year... Give me a break.

Benning said that the asking price for Drouin was too high. Yzerman just brought down the value of him by doing this. Now some GMs will think he has entitlement issues. It seems like a poor choice and not thought out properly. They should have warned him and kept it out of the spotlight.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

The idea that players under contract call the shots is ridiculous.

His job is to play hockey, not to tell GMs how to do their job. Thinking that getting himself suspended is going to do anything to help his career is pretty dumb.

Yzerman has enough on his plate to worry about trying to not lose a franchise player in Stamkos. Last thing he needs is some whiny 20 year old making demands.

It takes time to make a trade. Especially for a player that was supposed to be a future cornerstone of his team. The funny thing is, it sounds like a trade was close. It might not be so close anymore though.

Drouin has to worry about his own career, not Yzerman's.

There are $10's of millions of dollars on the line. This isn't some fairy tale about hockey and game and fans etc. etc. etc. THis is a business first and foremost. It's a multi billion dollar business.

Yzerman worrying about Stamkos isn't Drouin's problem. Droin has to worry about his own career, not make Yzerman's job easier.

Archived