The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) The MOTHERLODE !? (Stamkos,Lucic,& Byfuglien)

Our prospects are now providing an element of trust, responsibility, excitement and an outstanding core chemistry. 
Some, still on Entry Level Contracts.
Having said that,.. some outstanding UFA's may be available this Summer, and I dont' know about you, but, IF I were a Stamkos, Lucic, or Byfuglien.. I would play out my term with what ever Team I was with and hear ALL Team offers in the Summer.  After all, this power usually only comes to great UFA in his prime, once in his lifetime if he is lucky enough.

The following is what I envision,. unfortunately, yes, i have pasted this a few times amist other threads, and i appologize to the greater minds here on CDC for my numbing repedity ... 

but it is a possibility... And I invite all of you savy, positive, bright minded characters here on CDC to lean into this topic and see if it could work.

I hope we all want the same excitement that Bure brought to this city.. After witnessing the "Bure Era" as a Canuck fan, anything less is mediocre hockey, and if you ask the Aquilini Ownership.. Its about that, and selling seats and merchandise to ensure a top product.

8th time makes this a lucky charm ;)

31.5 m. Off Load...

HYPOTHETICALLY FOR:  Stamkos, Lucic, and Buff  

UFA's:  Hamhuis, 4.5m .  Vrbatta,5.0m .  Weber, 1.5m.,   Higgins, 2.5m.  Prust, 2.5.  = 16m capspace (virtually all by expired contracts)

The bigger plus to moving Hamhuis (4.5m) and Vrbata (5m), both UFA's, is gaining a total capspace of  9.5m. and acquiring picks or prospects to fill the farm with the Utica Comets.

TRADES: Before Deadline.

Miller, 6m . Burrows,4.5. Edler, 5.0m = 15.5m capspace
NoTradeClauses:
Burrows to Montreal, family ( The Habs needs hope.. Alex has always given that,. Always a Canuck)

Miller to Death Valley (S.Jose or Anaheim), family- San Jose asked about him already.(J.Benning)

Edler to Florida, its the Swedish Valhalla. (friends in Ohlund, Mitchell, Jovonowski and Sunshine :) 

Yes we will get good value for Miller, Burrows, and Edler.. Likely in Picks or prospects.  Maybe an opportunity to talk to B.Burns is an option (UFA 2017)

we also could trade or use those picks,  OR Demko with our 1st overall,.. somehow at Draft Table for FIRST OVERALL. (Gotta like Mathews)

Total Capspace of 31.5m

I see Stamkos +/- 11m (4yr-44m(14,12,10,8)
I see Lucic.      +/-   7m
I see Byfuglien +/-   7m
(Aprx. Total of 25m)

Leaving a remainder of aprx 5-6m for existing contract adjustments.

So..... throw it around, should make for an interesting discussion here.
The only thing i ask you to remember.. Is that anything is possible, and that Cody Hodgson and Frank Corrado have left the building ;) 

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

It cracks me up when people suggest Burrows to Montreal just because he's French. At this point he's a badly overpaid underperforming 3rd/4th liner Montreal neither has the need nor the cap space for what Burrows brings 

WTF?  I never suggested "because he's French"..  But it is home, he is performing well to be an asset to a team that hides behind probably the best goaltender in the NHL. .  Montreal WILL move players, for players that can help them.. Bergevin will.

i touched on this in the gdt the eastern swing success is good for a lot of reason,s eye brows raised for gm,s but players too. them seeing what,s happening here there by becoming attractive for fa,s they might be coming to us rather than have to seek them out we,ve already seen steve y has poped his head up and took a look .   FREE agents.

5 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

WTF?  I never suggested "because he's French"..  But it is home, he is performing well to be an asset to a team that hides behind probably the best goaltender in the NHL. .  Montreal WILL move players, for players that can help them.. Bergevin will.

Yes. Bergevin is looking to improve the Habs. Burrows doesn't do that. 

Just now, SilentSam said:

Yes. Burrows does.

How does a 14 point 34 year old $4.5 mil/year 3rd liner help a team that has limited cap space that has trouble putting the puck in the net? Montreal has tons of bottom 6 guys that actually fit the team speed model Bergevin has built. Burrows is useless to them. In fact he's worse than useless because he has another year on his contract at $4.5m 

55 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

How many beer's Sammy? I kid,  it's a wonderful plan and I would be on board with everything,  except the 1st round trade. In my humble opinion Demko is completely untouchable. 

Imagine the people if this went down. Imagine the people... 

Shayster! None.  Yet.   But this is sure to drive me to drinking.   I know, have not seen Demko play, but have heard nothing but high remarks about his play..  I'm sure we can stack well enough for a top 5 pick at the 2016 Table regardless.

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

How does a 14 point 34 year old $4.5 mil/year 3rd liner help a team that has limited cap space that has trouble putting the puck in the net? Montreal has tons of bottom 6 guys that actually fit the team speed model Bergevin has built. Burrows is useless to them. In fact he's worse than useless because he has another year on his contract at $4.5m 

Yes. One year left.  Minimum pick-up at deadline... And not the last move Bergevin will make before the 2017 season.. Bergevin abviously loves tenacious players, although Burrows points are down with the Canucks, he still brings game that could compliment the Montreal template.

Just now, SilentSam said:

Yes. One year left.  Minimum pick-up at deadline... And not the last move Bergevin will make before the 2017 season.. Bergevin abviously loves tenacious players, although Burrows points are down with the Canucks, he still brings game that could compliment the Montreal template.

Again. Montreal has plenty of bottom 6 guys. And they make a lot less than $4.5 m a year. They don't need him and he does nothing to improve them.

But you go ahead and keep dreaming of offloading all Vancouver's bad contracts, Signing 3 of this summers top UFA's and somehow coming out with the 1st overall pick in the upcoming draft. I guess o shouldn't nitpick when every single aspect of your proposal is completely unrealistic 

29 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Again. Montreal has plenty of bottom 6 guys. And they make a lot less than $4.5 m a year. They don't need him and he does nothing to improve them.

But you go ahead and keep dreaming of offloading all Vancouver's bad contracts, Signing 3 of this summers top UFA's and somehow coming out with the 1st overall pick in the upcoming draft. I guess o shouldn't nitpick when every single aspect of your proposal is completely unrealistic 

5 of those 8 contracts are to attrition.  3 contracts have possible asset value.   ... And Montreal is not the only team in the NHL...  Oh, BTW, it's not a "Proposal".. Obviously your outlook on things extends no further than what you can focus on (aprx. 10 inches). 

... And by replying to this means you are probably dreaming up something to "nitpick" about again.

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

Nope. You go ahead and live in your NHL 16 fueled dream. You'll be crushed enough when none of your grand dreams come to fruition. 

LOL never played it, never will,.. But I will wish you luck in life Qwijibo... I think you'll need it.

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

LOL never played it, never will,.. But I will wish you luck in life Qwijibo... I think you'll need it.

I have to agree with Qwijibo, I don't think MTL has any need for burrows, not without a cap dump coming back and that defeats the purpose.  Retain 50% and then there are teams that might be considering Burrows, Maybe AV, but again NYR is in a tight cap crunch already. I'm sure we could find a spot for him, possibly for full, but he does have a NTC.  

And MIller isn't getting dealt.  SJ had interest pre draft, then they went out and traded a (high risk) first round pick for Jones who's played very good in his first full time year as a starter.  Not a chance the give up more assets for a goalie, that isn't an improvement over the younger, cheaper guy they already have.

Also, I can see Edler going to FLA as they have a need for a left handed D, but not without a significant piece coming back, and simply draft picks is not enough. 

No team is going to give up the first overall, not without a huge overpayment and something that would cripple our franchise...It's a deal you can't make because we'd still not know if signing the big UFA is possible as free agent day comes after draft day.

Finally, Yes we'd get three big names but our roster is still hurting.  Are left side D would be extremely weak. And all these big contracts are going to come back and bite us (All are going to expect max term) when are ELC are starting to look for raises. If we put aside 16 million (which we are going to have without having to make all these big deals).  That gives you more than enough money to go after 2 big names,  IE lucic at 7, yandle at 6.  plus another 3 million for player raises. 

31 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I have to agree with Qwijibo, I don't think MTL has any need for burrows, not without a cap dump coming back and that defeats the purpose.  Retain 50% and then there are teams that might be considering Burrows, Maybe AV, but again NYR is in a tight cap crunch already. I'm sure we could find a spot for him, possibly for full, but he does have a NTC.  

And MIller isn't getting dealt.  SJ had interest pre draft, then they went out and traded a (high risk) first round pick for Jones who's played very good in his first full time year as a starter.  Not a chance the give up more assets for a goalie, that isn't an improvement over the younger, cheaper guy they already have.

Also, I can see Edler going to FLA as they have a need for a left handed D, but not without a significant piece coming back, and simply draft picks is not enough. 

No team is going to give up the first overall, not without a huge overpayment and something that would cripple our franchise...It's a deal you can't make because we'd still not know if signing the big UFA is possible as free agent day comes after draft day.

Finally, Yes we'd get three big names but our roster is still hurting.  Are left side D would be extremely weak. And all these big contracts are going to come back and bite us (All are going to expect max term) when are ELC are starting to look for raises. If we put aside 16 million (which we are going to have without having to make all these big deals).  That gives you more than enough money to go after 2 big names,  IE lucic at 7, yandle at 6.  plus another 3 million for player raises. 

I do appreciate your insight here Forsberg :)      I'd like to think with the Twins contracts coming up, there's money to save for the boys coming up off of an ELC, and always players to move to keep that Rotation of developing players fresh in Utica. I do think Miller may still be movable, Anaheim may be a spot too, I think they have struggled in that position at times, and God only knows what Kessler will ask going into UFA, certainly more than the 6m that Miller asks.   

Always a team looking for tenacious consistency.. and although his point production is down Burrows for a year closer to home might be an interesting acquisition for a team needing energy.

what number is the cap probable at next year? 72m ??

Edler being an agreeable move, perhaps Gudbranson.

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I do appreciate your insight here Forsberg :)      I'd like to think with the Twins contracts coming up, there's money to save for the boys coming up off of an ELC, and always players to move to keep that Rotation of developing players fresh in Utica. I do think Miller may still be movable, Anaheim may be a spot too, I think they have struggled in that position at times, and God only knows what Kessler will ask going into UFA, certainly more than the 6m that Miller asks.   

Always a team looking for tenacious consistency.. and although his point production is down Burrows for a year closer to home might be an interesting acquisition for a team needing energy.

what number is the cap probable at next year? 72m ??

Edler being an agreeable move, perhaps Gudbranson.

Definitely on board for Gudbranson but we'd likely have to offer a bit.  I'd proposed Edler + vbrata (retained cap) for Gudbranson + pick

But with Miller, Ducks already have Gibson, who's again younger and already better than miller.  Kesler already signed his extension like 4 months ago. He's getting a 6.8 cap hit for 6 years.  Ducks biggest problem this year has been scoring goals.  They have the lowest goals for in the league and are averaging 2 goals per game.  

As much as miller would like to go to the pacific, the pacific doesn't want miller. Best case is we deal him next TD to a playoff team looking for a vet goalie.  We'd likely have to retain cap but it would only be for a 1/3 of a year..

Archived