The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] How much Sutter affects the composition of the team

After Sutter and Henrik return, there's only 2 real possibilities for the team to take.

1. Sutter goes on the 1st line bumping Hansen down to play with Baertschi and Horvat. This has a couple added bonuses. It makes moving out Vrbata easier because Hansen can then fill his spot so Vrbata being traded doesn't leave an open roster spot in the top 6 they need to fill. It also then allows Vey to stay with the team as their 3rd line Centre between Burrows and Etem.

Or 2. Sutter returns and Vey goes. Sutter then centre's the 3rd line of Burrows and Etem. This I think is an improvement over Vey. If management wants Sutter to be their 2C, I can also see them swapping Etem and Vrbata giving the team a 2nd line of Burrows-Sutter-Vrbata and a 3rd of Baertschi-Horvat-Etem. The downside of this is it makes Vrbata harder to move without weakening the team. Also probably means Cracknell earns a full time roster spot if Vrbata is moved, definite downgrade. Or Grenier gets brought up. Risky.

Once both centre's return, 2 people need to leave. I'm guessing Vey is the most likely. Followed by Prust. If Prust can't be moved though, they may have to send Zalewski down as well. I get the feeling they're interested in Zalewski though.

Personally, I'd prefer to see Sutter on the 1st line, Hansen with Bo, Vey on the 3rd, McCann & Zalewski sharing the 4th with Dorsett and Virtanen, and Prust, Cracknell, & Vrbata sent packing. Also opens up a roster spot in the event Vrbata &/or Prust send a player back our way.

I'm not sure Sutter, the twins, or management has much interest in Sutter sharing Centre with the twins but it definitely does open up possibilities for the rest of the team. 

What do you guys see happening?

Just now, thejazz97 said:

Pick and a prospect. Or just a pick or just a prospect. :rolleyes:

Having Sutter and then Henrik both out forced our kids into the deep end.  I hope JB sees clearly, like you do, that our two (3 if Vey plays third line) young centres can swim just fine with the big boys.  Bye bye Vrbata, and hello late first coming back.:emot-parrot:

3 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

Pick and a prospect. Or just a pick or just a prospect. :rolleyes:

My guess is that with the lack of production he's provided this season, Vrbata gets the Canucks nothing more than a second round pick.  For a player that cost the team nothing more than money, that's a pretty good return, IMO.

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

I'm with ya on that one.  If Vrbata gets dealt there is going to be a lot of disappointed fans who were expecting a 1st round pick.  People need to ask themselves, if you're team is playoff bound and you need a player to help go on a deep run are you willing to give up a 1st round pick for Radim "no show" Vrbata .

Honestly, I say yes - but don't hold your breath. We'll get better offers than we think, but to get them, we need to keep our expectations relatively reasonable. Like a 2nd.

1 minute ago, thejazz97 said:

Honestly, I say yes - but don't hold your breath. We'll get better offers than we think, but to get them, we need to keep our expectations relatively reasonable. Like a 2nd.

I can see a team like Tampa, Florida, Montreal, or maybe Nashville being very interested. They could all use a 2 way sniper. There aren't going to be a ton of accomplished goal scorers on expiring contracts available for nothing more than a draft pick. If you could get 2 of them interested, you might be able to play them against each other to get a 1st but I'd consider that lucky.

6 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

Hemsky was traded for a 3rd and a 5th after 26 points in 55 games. Vrbata is at 22 points in 47 games. Almost identical point per game. The odds of either a 3rd & 5th panning out is almost the same as a 2nd, so either a 3rd & 5th or a 2nd would likely be Vrbata's value. Perhaps throw a conditional 3rd in if the team makes the conference finals or he re-signs

I doubt Sutter is going to play wing - I think at the start of the season was simply a place to put him as they figured out what they had in McCann and Cracknell.   

I also find it illogic to have him with Henrik and Daniel. The Sedins have a o-zone/d-zone ratio of 58%.  Baertschi who is considered an O-minded player has a o-zone/d-zone ratio of 47% (that's less than Dorsett who is at 50%) because his linemate is Horvat who gets the defensive assignments.  Putting Sutter with the Sedins means that Bo/Sven continue to get the tough match-ups despite them starting to prove that they can be a scoring line.

WillieD said Baertschi was acquired to provide offence.  Now that he has settled his D-game and his offence is finally starting to come - it doesn't make sense to keep him in a defensive role now that Sutter can take the tough assignments from Bo. Benning also called Sutter a matchup centre.

For me the top two scoring lines are:
Sedin Sedin Hansen
Baertschi Horvat Vrbata  -  with them being put in more offensive situations than they have been until now.

Before Sutter got injured he mostly played with Burrows and Virtanen so I could see a 3rd line of:
Burrows Sutter Virtanen/Etem

I really wonder if Vey has managed to become more than a depth player in Benning's eyes.  I just never hear him talk of Vey like he does with the other young players.  Also when there was the call-up he said they would call up either Friesen or Vey (I had the feeling Friesen had the edge because Kuzma did tweet that the Canucks were high on Friesen - not directly related to the call-up though) but Friesen was banged up so Vey it was.

I also find surprising that they recalled Zalewksi when he is basically competing with Vey for the C4 spot and there's already McCann and Cracknell. 

So for the 4th line I could see:
Etem/Prust - McCann/Cracknell - Dorsett

Out: Vey and Zalewski

Once Prust is moved - they use his spot to recall youngsters from Utica.

I guess there's quite a few possibilities. Our roster is more flexible than its ever been.

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen

Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen

Burrows-Sutter-Etem

Zalewski-McCann-Dorsett

That's not even a bad lineup to go into next season with too (with plans to replace Burrows with Shinkaruk of course)

15 million of cap for top end d men! 

Archived