The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Offer Sheet Seth Jones AND Ryan Murray

I've been seeing a lot of postings on potential trades, as well as potential FA signings, but not many on offer sheets so I thought I would throw a wrench in the engine with this topic. With the ample cap space we have available, and with several teams either being cap strapped or low budget, perhaps it's an avenue worth exploring. Columbus may be an easy target having both Seth Jones AND Ryan Murray heading to RFA Status.

Obviously, the catch to offer sheets are the draft pick compensations. Vancouver would have to surrender a 1st and 3rd if teams don't match AAV signings of approximately 5.475 million, and 1st, 2nd, and 3rd picks for signings for upwards of approximately 7.3.

For me, those players sound more attractive than a Byfuglien or a Yandle signing. They also fit JB's youth mandate better. Would it make sense to offer sheet both Seth Jones and Ryan Murray at 5 million each? 6 million? Columbus may be strapped, with their only significant contract coming off the books being Rene Bourque. With Savard's extension kicking in next year, that leaves Columbus with around 6 to 7 million in free cap space to arrange their roster. We have the luxury of cap space with Vrbata, Hamhuis, Prust, and Weber coming off the books through either trades or FA. I think it's worth potentially losing out on two or three draft picks for one or two young, right handed defensemen, especially IF JB is not as keen on the 2017 draft class as he is on this year's. Question is whether it's worth it to gamble that much money on players who have not reached, and may possibly may not reach, their potential, while possibly souring future relations with Columbus.

Would love to hear your thoughts. Be gentle.

CBJ would match and JB's reputation would take a hit. Offer sheets are looked down upon in NHL. JB is a meat and potatoes kinda guy and he'd never do something like that.

On top of this it'll be open season on Horvat, Virtanen, McCann and Hutton when they become RFA.

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

CBJ would match and JB's reputation would take a hit. Offer sheets are looked down upon in NHL. JB is a meat and potatoes kinda guy and he'd never do something like that.

On top of this it'll be open season on Horvat, Virtanen, McCann and Hutton when they become RFA.

I was going to comment, but this is pretty much exactly, what I was going to say.

4 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

While you don't see offer sheets exactly, teams do use them to a point. See Saad and Hamilton last year. Both RFA's that were dealt for packages above the normal OS compensation.

That said, I could see teams knocking at CBJ's door and applying pressure to trade one of their RFA's, however, considering they just traded for Jones and defense is their weak spot, I doubt they go down that route.

41 minutes ago, Nuck1991 said:

ducks will also have cap trouble next year.

Hampus Lindholm and Sami Vatanen are also RFAs

Both good targets. Anaheim won't let Lindholm go easily, but I think Vatanen could be had.

As Surfer said, you actually CAN'T do 2 offer sheets at the same time. In order to make the offer you have to have the compensation picks available in case  the team doesn't match.  As soon as you made an offer on one player those picks would be tied up and wouldn't be available until the team made a decision.  I suppose you could go ahead and offer sheet the second player after the team has matched the offer on the first. 

The other thing to remember is the player in question actually has to sign the offer sheet.  What are the odds BOTH players decide to jump ship in favor of Vancouver? I'd imagine slim

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

As Surfer said, you actually CAN'T do 2 offer sheets at the same time. In order to make the offer you have to have the compensation picks available in case  the team doesn't match.  As soon as you made an offer on one player those picks would be tied up and wouldn't be available until the team made a decision.  I suppose you could go ahead and offer sheet the second player after the team has matched the offer on the first. 

The other thing to remember is the player in question actually has to sign the offer sheet.  What are the odds BOTH players decide to jump ship in favor of Vancouver? I'd imagine slim

Correct. You would need to go one at a time, hoping the first offer sheet would handcuff CBJ enough that they let the second offer sheet go. 

That said, I think the better way to go would to use this method as leverage to lower either's value via trade.

As indicated earlier, all offer sheets do at this point is put a target on your back. Because at some point, you're team will be in the exact same situation.

If the Canucks were to do this, when it's time for Horvat's contract to come up, instead of his agent negotiating during the season, he would just say, "Wait until the off-season. They offer sheeted "Player X" last year, and chances are another team will offer more than what the Canucks are currently offering you. Either because they want your services, or because they want the Canucks to pay more."

Instead of going this route, perhaps the Canucks should focus on drafting and developing their own talent. And maybe, just maybe, draft a defenseman in the first round. Not like it's been 11 years.

I don't get the whole lowers your reputation in front of other GMs. It's in the CBA, if they had problems they could be removed it all together. And if a GM doesn't use it in fear of their reputation it's a pretty stupid thing to do. It's their job to help their team, and it helps they should give it their best shot. 

Dont think we will offer sheet.

Columbus will match any offer sheet for Jones I believe.

Murray if you offer the right amount I think they would take the picks, as he hasnt been the guy they thought injuries and all. but if you got a pair of 1sts or a 1st and 2nd they might bite as Werenski could be on their team next year

I think trouba and maata fall in these categories also. The calgary hamilton situation seems to be the new rfa way. Calgary knew boston was in trouble called em up saying "hey you wont be able to match you're gonna get a 1st 2nd and 3rd next year. Ill offer you a 1st and 2 2nds this year. I would be totally behind this strategy if we were to accumulate picks for our pending ufas this year. I think trouba and thr jets are the only plausible one with jets depth on the back end and cap troubles. Pitty too i suppose eith their lack of prospects but rhd is a bigger need for us

1 hour ago, manroth19 said:

I think trouba and maata fall in these categories also. The calgary hamilton situation seems to be the new rfa way. Calgary knew boston was in trouble called em up saying "hey you wont be able to match you're gonna get a 1st 2nd and 3rd next year. Ill offer you a 1st and 2 2nds this year. I would be totally behind this strategy if we were to accumulate picks for our pending ufas this year. I think trouba and thr jets are the only plausible one with jets depth on the back end and cap troubles. Pitty too i suppose eith their lack of prospects but rhd is a bigger need for us

The Jets "cap troubles" are whether to re-sign both Ladd and Buff. Trouba (and Scheifele) are going nowhere.

7 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I think you need all your own picks that would be required as compensation. To be eligible to offer sheet a guy.

And they would be gone already on the first guy. Before you were awarded the 2knd.

This. And they have to be in the same year, so you can't have two offer sheets on the table that could use the same pick as compensation.

Without looking at the compensation chart, you could offer sheet two players so long as the compensation is completely different, i.e. one with compensation of a 2nd and 3rd, and another of four 1sts (those would be in sequential years). The offer sheets the OP has overlap in the same year though so it wouldn't even be possible since CBJ could decline to match on both then we'd be unable to pay the compensation and in violation.

I admit that Columbus would be foolish to not match any offer on Jones. Ialso agree that Murray is not the same calibre defenseman as Jones. Let's say Jones is signed to a bridge deal: 2.5-3 million for 2-3 years. If the situation arises that Murray remains unsigned and Columbus is strapped for cap, would it be wise to throw down an offer sheet for 5 million? Or are we better off browsing the FA market? 

I say trade Hansen, Hamhuis,  and Vrbata for first rounders.

Trade Burrows and Miller for a 2nd each

Before July 1st, lock up Baerstchi and Etem for 2016 until one year prior to RFA. 

On July 1st,

Lock up Horvat and Hutton, Markstrom  on July 1st for 2017 to one year prior to RFA status. 

Go into summer with 4 firsts and 3 second rounders . (including ours) 

Offer sheet Jones for 7.3m (one first, one second and one third) 

If they match, offer sheet Murray for 7.3

See how much cap space is left and spend knowing we have to re-sign Virtanen and McCann in a couple of years. 

6 hours ago, qwijibo said:

I think chances are high when you give a young kid 7.3 Mil per season purely based on potential rather than results. That's why only target elite young players like Jones and Murry. 

Archived