The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zalewski reassigned. Prust & McCann extras in practice

Boddy604

2 hours ago, RonMexico said:

Have you been paying attention? If you have been following the team, you should know by now that McCann and Virtanen are both going to rotate in and out of the lineup. They are both very young and developing fine. Look at Horvat, he played 8-10 mins a game almost nightly last year. Not many people feared for his development playing in a 4th line role with limited minutes.

Have you been paying attention. Using our up and coming franchise future number 1 Centre as a PRACTICE PYLON is not  good development practise.     He needs to developing chemistry with linemates and honing his skills in practise.  I don't think we need to rotate McCann and Virtanan this year, so far they have both shown themselves to be starters.  Playing plugs / dusters  like Cracknell , Prust and Burrows is not going to help develop our future leaders. I guess you are the kind of fan that wants to go all out with our vets for a possible 8-10 place finish.  

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Have you been paying attention. Using our up and coming franchise future number 1 Centre as a PRACTICE PYLON is not  good development practise.     He needs to developing chemistry with linemates and honing his skills in practise.  I don't think we need to rotate McCann and Virtanan this year, so far they have both shown themselves to be starters.  Playing plugs / dusters  like Cracknell , Prust and Burrows is not going to help develop our future leaders. I guess you are the kind of fan that wants to go all out with our vets for a possible 8-10 place finish.  

What a bunch of mumbo-jumbo. At least you are still the kingofsurrey. That's gotta be something to hang your hat on.

5 hours ago, Boddy604 said:

So Zalewski is on his way back to Utica. In practice, lines are:

Sedin-Sutter-Hansen

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Burrows-Vey-Etem

Dorsett-Cracknell-Virtanen

So McCann looks to be getting a day off. Prust is scratched for a 3rd consecutive game. And Sutter will man the top line.

I think it's safe now for us to assume Prust isn't going to be here after the break.

I prefer Zalewski as 4th line C but I get that we don't want him longer than 10 games. Cracknell is ok, but Zalewski gives us speed and a chance to score across all 4 lines.

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Great to see Sutter will be back, and Hank soon. The centres:

(1) Henrik, (2) Sutter, (3) Horvat, (4) McCann.........goodbye Vey

Although, I'd probably start Sutter on the 3rd line until he gets up to speed.

Hopefully we'll get to see Zelewski with the team again soon, I thought he did well for a guy thrown into the fire like that.

You don't know how deep Willie's love for Vey is.

Personally I'd rather McCann play over Vey. But I wasn't in the Hat.

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

We shouldn't expect much from Sutter until he gets 3/4 games under his belt though. Personally I would rather have McCann on the 4th before Cracknell.

Cracknell was getting too greedy for my liking, these players on the 4th HAVE to pass the puck if they are going to be effective.

How come people keep leaving Vey off their line-ups?  

2 hours ago, RonMexico said:

Have you been paying attention? If you have been following the team, you should know by now that McCann and Virtanen are both going to rotate in and out of the lineup. They are both very young and developing fine. Look at Horvat, he played 8-10 mins a game almost nightly last year. Not many people feared for his development playing in a 4th line role with limited minutes.

12 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

What a bunch of mumbo-jumbo. At least you are still the kingofsurrey. That's gotta be something to hang your hat on.

What is mumbo jumbo ? I want to see our  future franchise players engaged in meaningful practise  - not used as Pylons in drills.   I think most Nuck fans agree that this season is a write off and we need to focus on developing our younger players.   Are you able to follow the canucks this season in Mexico ? In case you haven't  noticed, our D is terrible. Our vets are too old.  We are a transition hockey team a few years away from serious competing. This season is all about developing our kids - future core.

I liked Zalewski's play... thought he was generally effective considering his lack of experience.

I have a feeling he is Cracknell's replacement next year, we may ever see Cracknell moved at the deadline this year.

I agree with the coaching decision to sit McCann... he needs a break after a couple of grueling games on the first line... a young body like his needs time to get used to those kind of minutes.

Looking forward to seeing Jake have his second game in a row... he looked good last game, hopefully he can build on that.

I expect to see the Daniel/Sutter/Hansen line to get a little less in the way of minutes to not overdo Sutter's first game back.  That has been the trend anyway since Hank was injured, Horvat's line has increased its minutes.

7 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

McCann and Virtanen have shown they have the ability to play at an NHL level. Playing them 82 games as a 19 year old is only going to hurt them. Virtanen has more of an NHL body but it took less than 20 games vs top 6 guys before he was injured. Likely why he is now on the 4th line instead. McCann does not have an NHL body. Yet. The only mistake I think they're making is rotating them with guys like Cracknell. Bring up Zalewski permanently and rotate him with them. Then you're developing more guys at once vs having a 30 year old fringe NHLer playing fill in. 

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

What is mumbo jumbo ? I want to see our  future franchise players engaged in meaningful practise  - not used as Pylons in drills.   I think most Nuck fans agree that this season is a write off and we need to focus on developing our younger players.   Are you able to follow the canucks this season in Mexico ? In case you haven't  noticed, our D is terrible. Our vets are too old.  We are a transition hockey team a few years away from serious competing. This season is all about developing our kids - future core.

Management has been focusing on the future. Look at the lineup. This year this team has had the most young players play their first NHL game ever in a season. 

I don't think this season is a write off. I want to see the young players get some NHL playoff experience. Get a taste of what it's like and what you have to do to get there and win there.

The D is fine considering the assets at the coach's disposal.

All you are doing is spouting off what everyone has heard a billion times. You sound a CDC cliche. D is terrible. Vets are old. We aren't competing this year. Kids need to develop.

Just remember that the veterans have earned their keep by their resume whether you like it or not. If they are outplayed by younger, better players, the vets will eventually be replaced once their contract expires, get shipped out or find themselves like Higgins.

8 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

McCann and Virtanen have shown they have the ability to play at an NHL level. Playing them 82 games as a 19 year old is only going to hurt them. Virtanen has more of an NHL body but it took less than 20 games vs top 6 guys before he was injured. Likely why he is now on the 4th line instead. McCann does not have an NHL body. Yet. The only mistake I think they're making is rotating them with guys like Cracknell. Bring up Zalewski permanently and rotate him with them. Then you're developing more guys at once vs having a 30 year old fringe NHLer playing fill in. 

I think Virt and McC  can handle  a full season at 10- 12  mins per game.  Hank and Danny managed with the body of 14 yr olds. Playing 75 games with the nucks as rookies..... Sheltered minutes in games.  What i am commenting on is practise time.   Taking them out of drills and using them as pylons or spares in practise is NOT development.  They need to fully practise if they want to improve. 

7 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Management has been focusing on the future. Look at the lineup. This year this team has had the most young players play their first NHL game ever in a season. 

I don't think this season is a write off. I want to see the young players get some NHL playoff experience. Get a taste of what it's like and what you have to do to get there and win there.

The D is fine considering the assets at the coach's disposal.

All you are doing is spouting off what everyone has heard a billion times. You sound a CDC cliche. D is terrible. Vets are old. We aren't competing this year. Kids need to develop.

Just remember that the veterans have earned their keep by their resume whether you like it or not. If they are outplayed by younger, better players, the vets will eventually be replaced once their contract expires, get shipped out or find themselves like Higgins.

Overall, i am happy with the infusion of youth in our lineup. I think Willie has done solid job overall with the cards he was given.   Just want to see development of our young players as the central focus of this season.  Don't want to see us buyers at the deadline. Want to see us sellers of our declining value vets.    Agree with much of what you posted.    I do disagree on our D . They are not fine at all.  Our D has been exposed on the  the last road trip with 40 + shots against.  Basically we are really weak defensive team with above average goaltending.

This is a business and loyalty to vets is meaningless right now. Ice time needs to be earned on what have you done for us lately... Not what have you done for us 3-4 year ago.   Higgins is the first vet to be moved. I think we see more moved sooner than later.

To me this is frustrating.  Why is Linden Vey still here?  Furthermore why is he getting minutes over McCann and Cracknell?!  I don't buy the argument that he has to clear waivers.  Who would claim him and why would we care?  Time to bite the bullet, admit that it was a mistake to obtain him, and come to terms with the fact that it was a waste of a draft pick in that trade.  

Good call resting McCann. Outside of the own goal, Vey had a good game against Pittsburgh, and has been good in general. He's earning ice time. 

Looks like Prust is done in Vancouver. Good riddance I say. Next player we trade for, I hope he actually puts effort in. I'm sick of acquiring Roy's and Prust's who clearly have no interest playing for us, and do the bare minimum asked. Goodbye Prusty, you will not be missed. 

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

I think Virt and McC  can handle  a full season at 10- 12  mins per game.  Hank and Danny managed with the body of 14 yr olds. Playing 75 games with the nucks as rookies..... Sheltered minutes in games.  What i am commenting on is practise time.   Taking them out of drills and using them as pylons or spares in practise is NOT development.  They need to fully practise if they want to improve. 

Can you clarify how they are used as pylons in the drill instead of engaged in a full practice? 

53 minutes ago, TexasCanuck said:

To me this is frustrating.  Why is Linden Vey still here?  Furthermore why is he getting minutes over McCann and Cracknell?!  I don't buy the argument that he has to clear waivers.  Who would claim him and why would we care?  Time to bite the bullet, admit that it was a mistake to obtain him, and come to terms with the fact that it was a waste of a draft pick in that trade.  

Maybe thats it . If Vey doesn't play here he may not get another chance. Is that the reason ? What does that do to McCann and the rest of the team. Sure Vey has been a little better lately, for most teams however he is small, so Canucks will always have him on the farm team.

1 hour ago, TexasCanuck said:

DoTo me this is frustrating.  Why is Linden Vey still here?  Furthermore why is he getting minutes over McCann and Cracknell?!  I don't buy the argument that he has to clear waivers.  Who would claim him and why would we care?  Time to bite the bullet, admit that it was a mistake to obtain him, and come to terms with the fact that it was a waste of a draft pick in that trade.  

Do you have an opportunity to watch the games in Texas? Because if you did you would see that he's been one of the better players over the road trip. He has been skating hard, playing well on the PK and contributing offensively. Anyone ragging on him still needs to wash the taste of last year out of their mouth and look at Vey with an unbiased opinion. He has, so far, earned a spot in the lineup during this call up. 

And ignoring all that,  yes he would have to go on waivers. He would likely be claimed this time since he has been playing well,  and that would be terrible asset management. 

Archived