The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks 3 on 3

Honky Cat

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/kuzma+canucks+finally+figure+approach/11673381/story.html

An article by Ben Kuzma about how Willie has finally figured out that 'speed' is the key on 3 on 3....Quite a few CDC'ers (armchair coaches that we are)..have been trumpeting this for months...A far cry from earlier in the year when Willie was deploying 2 d-men on the 3 on 3.

2 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

I still find Bo with Vrbata an odd choice. Baer and Bo should be the obvious one. Unless they're trying to showcase Vrbata in 3 on 3 before they trade him :P

I'm wondering if its because Willie wants a vet out with the rookies.  Kind of a stabilizing factor in case something goes wrong.  Might not want the young guys to lose confidence if they lose a game or two for us due to a bad turnover.

Having said that I would love to see BO and Baer together in OT

I really don't see this as any great reveleation moment for WD and that he had no idea what 3 on 3 meant. I think there was a time of giving vets and proven scorers the opportunity while not exposing rookies to making mistakes with huge consequences.  Players have developed and so does the strategy.

Another play WD has to figure out is 6 on 5. The memory is still fresh how many 1-goal games we've lost so far this season and we were reminded again Saturday against PITT. You have no business making the playoffs if you can't win close games, or at least force OT.

Whenever we are down by a goal with a couple of minutes left in the 3rd, it's a total chaos. Guys don't seem to be sure how to move the puck or where they need to be. They struggle to move in past the blueline not to mention setting up, and the end result is usually an EN by the other team.

First things first -- WD should go with an extra skater who can make plays and/or score goals. Putting in Dorsett or Bartkowski is just plain dumb and waste of space. They are not capable of doing (or expected to do) much at even strength. What makes the coach think their production will suddenly increase during the last minute and a half of a game?

Yes currently we are terrible PP team to begin with. But I believe it's even more crucial to come up with some kind of "Crunch Time" game plan for a long-term success.

3 hours ago, Heated Blue said:

I'm wondering if its because Willie wants a vet out with the rookies.  Kind of a stabilizing factor in case something goes wrong.  Might not want the young guys to lose confidence if they lose a game or two for us due to a bad turnover.

Having said that I would love to see BO and Baer together in OT

Don't think so - McCann, Baertschi and Hutton play together in OT. 

Combos in the last two games that went to OT:
Bo Vrbata Tanev
Daniel Hansen Edler
McCann Baertschi Hutton
Etem Vey Bartkowski

Archived