The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Was the loss to Nashville the deathblow for the 15/16 season?

19naslund19

I am not trying to be doom and gloom, I think this clarity is a great thing for the direction of the team and the way things now should solidify the argument to ownership.

23rd in the league - with 4/7 teams below us having games in hand

5th in Division - with 5/6 teams within division having games in hand

Prior to yesterdays loss a 12% chance of making playoffs according to hockeyviz (a respected predictions site/machine) http://hockeyviz.com/img/league/makePlayoffs/1516/makePlayoffs-conf-West.png

I do love the Canucks and the kids have done well, but I think its time to sell the UFA assets through February and really complete the rebuild for this season. Hammer, Vrby, Prust, Weber, Bartkowski will have different levels of return, but I think its time to focus on prospects/draft picks.

I am very positive on the 15/16 year and the future, but I think its finally time (and should be clear) this is the best path for the rest of the season...thoughts?

At 50 games in now, it tells us what this team is right now and the only reason they are even remotely talking about play off's is because of the very poor division. It is clearly time to move the FA guys and get the extra picks that we know JB can do so much with to help this team in the future. Let the young guys gain experience the rest of this year, if they somehow manage to make the play off's great, but it's more about the experience at this point.

Jim - make it so

We have 32 games remaining all against western teams, most are fighting for the same playoff position

19 home games and 13 road games remain.

We have 51 points and because we have the worst ROW we would need a minimum of 93 points to squeak into the final wildcard spot to play LA Kings in the 1st round

To get those 42 points to get to that 93 points we would need to go at minimum,

14 wins and 5 losses at home and 7 wins and 6 losses on the road

The good news is that if we can post better #'s than these we will be on a great roll coming into the playoffs 

7 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

We have 32 games remaining all against western teams, most are fighting for the same playoff position

19 home games and 13 road games remain.

We have 51 points and because we have the worst ROW we would need a minimum of 93 points to squeak into the final wildcard spot to play LA Kings in the 1st round

To get to that 93 points we would need to go at minimum,14 wins and 5 losses at home and 7 wins and 6 losses on the road

The good news is that if we can post better #'s than these we will be on a great roll coming into the playoffs 

Agreed we do have a good schedule...

But is this what we want? To squeak in against the Kings? Sorry but I think this "grey area" of not bad enough to sell and get better draft pick, and losing in the first round was detrimental to the Canucks after the Stanley Cup run...very little in cupboard in term sof future. This has changed in the last couple years yes, but we are on the cusp of really changing this team (not saying we are going to be a powerhouse, but maybe haha). If we really embrace the rebuild, get some picks/prospects for UFA's we are likely going to lose, solidify a top 7 pick (hopefully top 5) this team will be well stocked for the future, have cash for the FA market if needed, and be poised for better things as quickly as next season.

I am not saying tank...but I wouldn't be against it...but really we are not that good a team and just getting into the playoffs this year should not be the goal. It should be to get the kids experience and embrace the rebuild fully.

This is some of the the grey area I talk about "Saddness Chart"...we do not want to be here.

http://hockeyviz.com/img/league/recentPredictive/1516/sadness.png

No death knell until about February 20th.

If we lose against the leafs, the Jackets, Yotes and the Flames that is it.

From here on out the bulk of our games are staying in the west and mostly against teams currently higher in the standings than us.

The death blow to this season was  the home opener in Oct - was it the Flames.

Our team was never going to compete for the cup this year. We all knew that we were in a dog fight for 8th place - the final playoff berth.  True is that our club is right we dreamed to be.  This season was all about selling at the deadline.

Our current team is full of holes.  They have achieved about where they should have. We are in the bottom 10 teams in the league.

More losses along the way are nothing to get concerned about.   Play the kids, sell the vets.   

Rebuilds are painful.   No pain , no gain.  Suck it up Canucks fan.  Keep Selling even while the losses pile up. 

1 minute ago, mpt said:

Great loss, entertaining game to watch and we get closer to the 1st overall pick.  Good strategy to me

Am I a bad person for being OK with these losses then excitedly checking the out of town scores to see if any of the teams below us won?

And before anybody gets their knickers in a knot, I'm not a tank nation card carrying member. I'm cheering on my team, but I am also a believer that what's best for the organization long term is proper asset management of expiring contracts. If moving guys down the stretch results in missing the playoffs this season, then so be it. I don't need the instant gratification that comes with simply making the playoffs.

1 hour ago, 19naslund19 said:

I am not trying to be doom and gloom, I think this clarity is a great thing for the direction of the team and the way things now should solidify the argument to ownership.

23rd in the league - with 4/7 teams below us having games in hand

5th in Division - with 5/6 teams within division having games in hand

Prior to yesterdays loss a 12% chance of making playoffs according to hockeyviz (a respected predictions site/machine) http://hockeyviz.com/img/league/makePlayoffs/1516/makePlayoffs-conf-West.png

I do love the Canucks and the kids have done well, but I think its time to sell the UFA assets through February and really complete the rebuild for this season. Hammer, Vrby, Prust, Weber, Bartkowski will have different levels of return, but I think its time to focus on prospects/draft picks.

I am very positive on the 15/16 year and the future, but I think its finally time (and should be clear) this is the best path for the rest of the season...thoughts?

I couldn't care less about wins and losses this season, what I want to see is the youth movement going forward and the overall compete level come up.  With that as my standard, I would say this season (minus a stretch in there) has been successful.  i'm enjoying watching the young guys start to grab control of the team from the vets and watch the team work hard and use their speed every shift.  It'll be interesting to see if JB makes any big moves at the dl.......he may just wait until the draft.

Archived