The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Was the loss to Nashville the deathblow for the 15/16 season?

19naslund19

5 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Am I a bad person for being OK with these losses then excitedly checking the out of town scores to see if any of the teams below us won?

And before anybody gets their knickers in a knot, I'm not a tank nation card carrying member. I'm cheering on my team, but I am also a believer that what's best for the organization long term is proper asset management of expiring contracts. If moving guys down the stretch results in missing the playoffs this season, then so be it. I don't need the instant gratification that comes with simply making the playoffs.

I feel so conflicted. When the games are on I cheer on the team, I cheer for hits, goals, saves all in favour of the nucks. But when we lose I am kind of happy because I share the same opinion re short term pain for long term gain. To add to your post; the higher draft pick that comes along with all of that is a bonus.

If we squeak into the playoffs we play either chicago, LA, or Anaheim. Now is 5 games of playoff hockey really worth it? I would rather sacrifice a round of playoff hockey for several round years down the road.

22 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Am I a bad person for being OK with these losses then excitedly checking the out of town scores to see if any of the teams below us won?

And before anybody gets their knickers in a knot, I'm not a tank nation card carrying member. I'm cheering on my team, but I am also a believer that what's best for the organization long term is proper asset management of expiring contracts. If moving guys down the stretch results in missing the playoffs this season, then so be it. I don't need the instant gratification that comes with simply making the playoffs.

exactly.

this team is doing great. we're winning some games with solid efforts and we're losing some games with solid efforts. we're not a good enough team to do anything this season, but we're playing good hockey and we're playing correctly.

the kids are being groomed in an excellent system with passionate, professional vets and they're all pulling together. we'll (hopefully) let some of those vets go down the stretch and keep working hard while inevitably causing a higher pick next year.

perfect.

Why was yesterday's game in particular the death knell?  They were trading chances with the Preds (out-shot them by 10), and had it not been for that eventful change late in the 3rd and a clean snipe by Neal, the game could've gone either way.

If the team loses to a bottom-feeder (e.g. the Jackets game next week) it just might kill momentum and hinder the team's chances. Til then, I'm pretty satisfied with how things have gone (Hank out, Hammer out, kids playing but holding their own).

Lets look at our Division

LA Kings, we are not even close defensively and physically

Ducks are playing much better

Sharks are playing better

Coyotes are playing better

3rd place in our division is a pipe dream,

We will have to compete for 1 of 2 Wild Card spots with

SJS

ARZ

MIN

COL

NSH

ANA

All these teams are killing us in ROW so tied in points won't do, we would need more points at the end of the season.

Our season has been pretty much done for a month, it is only our games in hand that is making it look respectable as far as the standings go.  
Since December we have been ranging from 23-25th in the league in terms of winning % and applying the playoff tie breakers.

It will just take a little closer to the deadline for it to really solidify and make it mathematically arduous to make up points.  You have to keep in mind that the teams we are chasing also play each other many times so someone is guaranteed points in each of those outings and many of them will result in 3 point games.

We would have to go on a real tear to squeak into the playoffs but there has been no sign that we can consistently win 7 or 8 out of 10 games for any duration.

We can trade our unproductive vets like Vrbata now as it won't affect our competitiveness (might actually make us better), and near the deadline we can trade a couple more when the prices are right.  With the loser point there are more teams as buyers than sellers and prices go up because of supply and demand.

I think there's still a lot of hockey left to play (32 games), and the travel is favourable to the Canucks, whatever that means. Doesn't matter where you play though, you've still got to win games. Besides, once you're on the east coast, the travel is very easy and quick. It'll be nice to get the team healthy again, and I think that's when management will make their decisions moving forward, once they see the team healthy and know what they have. I still think they need to move Prust and Vrbata though.

I know the owners want playoffs, and management want playoffs so the youth can get experience, but shouldn't it be a good experience for them? I'm sure it's to give them a taste of the post season, the heightened competitiveness. A great way to learn is by failure I guess. 

Maybe Benning's plan is:

- trade Prust for a mid-to-low draft pick

- make playoffs

- trade their 1st round draft pick along with Vrbata to a non-playoff team and end up picking top 5.

Who knows..

The best thing this team can do it remain a team on the outside looking in.  If we can maintain that it would assure us to ship out vets.  After TD if we go on a roll and sneak into playoffs I’d be all for that.  If we just miss playoffs and end in the 8-14 range I’d be ok with that as well.  The big focus isn’t the draft picks or playoffs. It’s developing our youth in meaning full games.  The playoff stretch is a great learning curve for our young team.  Letting them decide if we make it…or miss it.  But we will be all that much better for it come next year. 

I find it funny that people still think management is waiting for a 'sign', low water mark or 'death blow' to be sellers at the deadline.

IMO, they were leaning towards likely selling expiring vets at the TDL in the summer. Having Hutton, McCann and Virtanen make the team in October was probably the actual 'death blow' if you mean sealing the fate of the expiring/redundant vets.

Having all the assorted call ups play well through this massive string of injuries and guys continuing to play well in Utica were the many nails in their coffins.

IMO, management happily sells off any of the redundant vets they can at the TDL and quite frankly are likely little, if any worse off for it in the standings anyways. The remaining core vets, journeymen and kids can take ownership of making a push for the playoffs and let the chips fall where they may.

2 hours ago, 19naslund19 said:

I am not trying to be doom and gloom, I think this clarity is a great thing for the direction of the team and the way things now should solidify the argument to ownership.

23rd in the league - with 4/7 teams below us having games in hand

5th in Division - with 5/6 teams within division having games in hand

Prior to yesterdays loss a 12% chance of making playoffs according to hockeyviz (a respected predictions site/machine) http://hockeyviz.com/img/league/makePlayoffs/1516/makePlayoffs-conf-West.png

I do love the Canucks and the kids have done well, but I think its time to sell the UFA assets through February and really complete the rebuild for this season. Hammer, Vrby, Prust, Weber, Bartkowski will have different levels of return, but I think its time to focus on prospects/draft picks.

I am very positive on the 15/16 year and the future, but I think its finally time (and should be clear) this is the best path for the rest of the season...thoughts?

I felt the same thing. I had vibrant optimism going into the game. With the other teams competing for a playoff spot all had huge games I felt like hope was lost. They didn't just win, they won handedly against strong opponents. That puts a fire and confidence in them that they can feel good about and ride for some time to come. With 2-3 games behind most of those teams with 4-7 points away from a spot... We are in big trouble. 

I'm hopeful, but losing hope. I had lots of hope before last night

2 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

We have 32 games remaining all against western teams, most are fighting for the same playoff position

19 home games and 13 road games remain.

We have 51 points and because we have the worst ROW we would need a minimum of 93 points to squeak into the final wildcard spot to play LA Kings in the 1st round

To get those 42 points to get to that 93 points we would need to go at minimum,

14 wins and 5 losses at home and 7 wins and 6 losses on the road

The good news is that if we can post better #'s than these we will be on a great roll coming into the playoffs 

You listen to too much 1040 post game!

Archived