The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Was the loss to Nashville the deathblow for the 15/16 season?

19naslund19

2 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

We have 32 games remaining all against western teams, most are fighting for the same playoff position

19 home games and 13 road games remain.

We have 51 points and because we have the worst ROW we would need a minimum of 93 points to squeak into the final wildcard spot to play LA Kings in the 1st round

To get those 42 points to get to that 93 points we would need to go at minimum,

14 wins and 5 losses at home and 7 wins and 6 losses on the road

The good news is that if we can post better #'s than these we will be on a great roll coming into the playoffs 

Is your real name David Pratt? This is almost a direct quote from his show this morning. Personally I think the Canucks are going to miss the playoffs by a fair bit. Another thing they mentioned in the post game show was that the Canucks haven't won 3 in a row all season. 

15 minutes ago, Fan since 82 said:

Is your real name David Pratt? This is almost a direct quote from his show this morning. Personally I think the Canucks are going to miss the playoffs by a fair bit. Another thing they mentioned in the post game show was that the Canucks haven't won 3 in a row all season. 

Driving home, listening to the post game radio after watching the game at my sons place last night, Dave Tomlinson was saying what record we would need in our final games to get a wildcard spot. I agree with him.

When I saw this "deathblow" thread, I thought it was pertinent info.

I listen to the radio a lot but I absolutely refuse to listen to Pratt and Bro

No.  Call me stupid but I honestly believe the Canucks will be sellers and still make the playoffs.  As a team, aside from the Torts year, they always play better in the second half of the year.  Their schedule is also easier compared to the first half.

I don't care what happens this season as long as we don't just miss the playoffs. Regardless of our record the rookies (and some vets) have put on an exciting, easy to talk about performance. I like to rant about what's wrong with this team, but overall, you cannot be disappointed for the first official re-build year.

Still rooting for you boys.......except Edler, Weber, Prust.

2 hours ago, Jack Fig said:

Canucks Mantra - January 2016...."we're trying to squeak into the last spot so L.A. can pound the daylights out of us for 4 games".

Sounds like fun.

'Last spot' for playoffs most likely means 3rd in the Pacific. Which means not facing LA.

Deathblow? Hardly.  The team has gone through debilitating injuries to a large part of the roster including key members.  It has suffered through an insane schedule that took it on the road for long stretches which likely contributed to the injuries.  Still the team remains in the playoff hunt.  After the break the Nucks will be healthy and rested, esp important to key players that were overworked (Tanev, Edler, Sedins, Hutton...) and making uncharacteristic mistakes. And they are heading into the best part of their schedule, with most of their games at home or in the same time zone. 

With a good pickup or two before the trade deadline to upgrade our D, we can get in the playoffs and surprise a few teams. We are not done.  We are just beginning! 

3 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

We have 32 games remaining all against western teams, most are fighting for the same playoff position

We have 51 points and because we have the worst ROW we would need a minimum of 93 points to squeak into the final wildcard spot to play LA Kings in the 1st round

The good news is that if we can post better #'s than these we will be on a great roll coming into the playoffs 

Where did your minimum of 93 points come from?

This year the Pacific Division has been terrible.  Arizona with 53 pts in 49 games projects to a season total of 89 pts, as does Anaheim's 51 pts in 47 games.  They're effectively tied for 3rd in the Pacific in pts/game.

Of course, the Pacific may not be so bad the rest of the season and 93 could end up being close to the right figure, but it doesn't project that way so far.

3 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

You have a very rosey picture of the future.  It does not matter if the Canucks make the dance or not, because they would be out in the first round against a clearly focused Kings team.  Now is the time for Benning and Linden to move assets and get whatever return we can.  The 'transition' is over and the 'rebuild' should be in full swing.  I'm a LONG TIME CANUCK FAN and I do not want to see this mediocre team year after year.  I'd rather suffer through a couple of losing seasons in which our youth gain experience and grit, and then maybe, just maybe, we can start going after some big-ticket free agents that make sense toward building a 'true' Cup contender in a very tough, rough and dirty Western Conference.  Bye bye Hamhuis, Prust, Burrows, Edler, Vrbatta and Weber.  Time to move on.

9 minutes ago, tyhee said:

Where did your minimum of 93 points come from?

This year the Pacific Division has been terrible.  Arizona with 53 pts in 49 games projects to a season total of 89 pts, as does Anaheim's 51 pts in 47 games.  They're effectively tied for 3rd in the Pacific in pts/game.

So, projections based on current records would have 89 pts being the cutoff. 

So far it's looking like some lower number might be enough this season.  Of course, the Pacific may not be so bad the rest of the season and 93 could end up being close to the right figure, but it just doesn't project that way so far.

With our ROW points, ANA, ARZ, or SJS would only need to tie us, so they would have a big advantage,

Tomlinson last night on the post game, said it would take at least 95 points

3 hours ago, stawns said:

I couldn't care less about wins and losses this season, what I want to see is the youth movement going forward and the overall compete level come up.  With that as my standard, I would say this season (minus a stretch in there) has been successful.  i'm enjoying watching the young guys start to grab control of the team from the vets and watch the team work hard and use their speed every shift.  It'll be interesting to see if JB makes any big moves at the dl.......he may just wait until the draft.

Captured my feelings exactly.  It actually is about the process this time. lol.

I watched Anaheim play last night.  Focused, good defensively, and damn if Bieksa doesn't look 10 years younger out there. (Grrr.) In any case, we cannot count on beating these guys.  Do you remember how tough Kesler, B were when motivated, and with a good supporting cast?  Forgot to mention that Perry is starting to play.  And their D and goaltending suddenly looks okay.  We will not be passing Anaheim, so... who will we pass?  SJ is coming off a year where they had a rest/failed.  They look motivated.  Arizona? Does it matter?

3 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

Am I a bad person for being OK with these losses then excitedly checking the out of town scores to see if any of the teams below us won?

And before anybody gets their knickers in a knot, I'm not a tank nation card carrying member. I'm cheering on my team, but I am also a believer that what's best for the organization long term is proper asset management of expiring contracts. If moving guys down the stretch results in missing the playoffs this season, then so be it. I don't need the instant gratification that comes with simply making the playoffs.

I do exactly the same thing lol 

Archived