The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Expanse (TV Series)

Hugor Hill

The only thing that bothers me is that they upped the number of commercials for the show, even DVRed it is a huge pain and harder to get into the show.  7 minutes of show, then 3 minutes of commercials.

I don't do torrent or other things to pirate shows.

1 minute ago, Hugor Hill said:

Watching them all in a row will probably be a better experience than 1 episode per week.

Yah I was wondering if I should wait until the whole season was finished before starting to watch as I do prefer binge watching vs. week to week but I have heard great things about the show and since there aren't too many great Sci Fi shows on atm, I think I will just do it. 

Just now, Aladeen said:

Yah I was wondering if I should wait until the whole season was finished before starting to watch as I do prefer binge watching vs. week to week but I have heard great things about the show and since there aren't too many great Sci Fi shows on atm, I think I will just do it. 

I do think that the first 6 to 7 episodes or so need binge watching to 'get into' the show, the plot, and the characters. Once you get the plot than I think week to week is ok. I'm reading the books, I won't spoil but I will say that the TV show is actually more complicated than the books.

The Expanse is a series of science fiction novels by James S. A. Corey, the pen name of authors Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck. I am currently reading Caliban's War which is book two of the series. I want to finish reading the book series before I watch the television series. It's been a good read, so I'm hoping the series lives up to the books.

1 hour ago, RWMc1 said:

The Expanse is a series of science fiction novels by James S. A. Corey, the pen name of authors Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck. I am currently reading Caliban's War which is book two of the series. I want to finish reading the book series before I watch the television series. It's been a good read, so I'm hoping the series lives up to the books.

Just finished all the books and started the series. I think the series is doing a pretty good job following the books. Very enjoyable. 

2 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

I just started the 3rd book. I find the 2nd book to be much better than the 1st. Prax and Avasarala are very interesting characters to read from.

The authors are apparently George R.R. Martin's assistants.

5 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

Like Game of Thrones, it takes a traditionally 'geeky' genre and kicks it up a notch.

Yup. I really like that the typical sci-fi cheesiness isn't very prevalent. 

Question for those who have read the books: How well are the characters written? I've heard a couple negative reviews saying that the characters were bland.

2 minutes ago, Beluga Whale said:

Yup. I really like that the typical sci-fi cheesiness isn't very prevalent. 

Question for those who have read the books: How well are the characters written? I've heard a couple negative reviews saying that the characters were bland.

The crew members of the Rocinante are indeed bland. They are mostly 'yes men' to Holden. The books are written from certain characters' point of view and book 1 only has Holden and Miller, and neither of them are very interesting IMO. Solving the mystery is your primary motivation for reading.

The 2nd book, on the other hand, has some very interesting new point of view characters. Avasarala (the Indian UN woman - a cross between Ned Stark, Littlefinger and Cersei) doesn't show up until the 2nd book and she swears more often than The Hound. There is another one called Prax. You read it to see what the characters are thinking as much as to find out what happens next.

2 hours ago, Hugor Hill said:

The crew members of the Rocinante are indeed bland. They are mostly 'yes men' to Holden. The books are written from certain characters' point of view and book 1 only has Holden and Miller, and neither of them are very interesting IMO. Solving the mystery is your primary motivation for reading.

The 2nd book, on the other hand, has some very interesting new point of view characters. Avasarala (the Indian UN woman - a cross between Ned Stark, Littlefinger and Cersei) doesn't show up until the 2nd book and she swears more often than The Hound. There is another one called Prax. You read it to see what the characters are thinking as much as to find out what happens next.

The crew members get a lot more interesting by book 3. It is a bit of a slog before there is meaningful backstories and character development, but I'm quite attached to the crew members now. 

Avasarala is amazing though. Everyone else looks bland when compared to her. My only complaint about the show is she lacks some of that bite. 

Archived