The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks In F Andrew Ladd Sweepstakes

Nd1989

If the Winnipeg Jets do expose their captain to the open market, it appears as though Andrew Ladd will have suitors.

NBC's Darren Dreger reported Wednesday that the Florida Panthers would have interest in the pending free agent, as well as perhaps the Vancouver Canucks.

Being an experienced, all-situations player that can fit in just about anywhere in the top nine, Ladd would appear to be a perfect fit for the Panthers, who are likely postseason-bound for the first time in four seasons. He would also come with familiarity to management, having once been acquired by general manager Dale Tallon while he was ran the Chicago Blackhawks.

The Canucks' apparent interest, though, is a little less discernible. Vancouver is limping into the All-Star break and sliding in the standings, now seated fifth in the Pacific Division. It would be difficult to justify moving a prospect or pick for a player intent on negotiating a lucrative deal, but as Dreger noted, Canucks general manager Jim Benning has expressed interest in Ladd previously.

The 30-year-old owns disappointing offensive numbers in his all-important contract season, having scored just 10 goals and 27 points after posting a career-best 62 points last season.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/947046

Canucks/panthers apparently in on Ladd if he goes on block.

what would you all be willing to give for Ladd.

2 minutes ago, Nd1989 said:

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/947046

Canucks/panthers apparently in on Ladd if he goes on block.

what would you all be willing to give for Ladd.

He's a UFA who's 30+ years old and going to be looking to move up from is 4.4mil/AAV.  Also in the danger-zone (Kesler like production/role).  It wouldn't be unreasonable for him to ask for 7mil/6 years on his next contract.  The Jet's are rebuilding with a group of young prospects and they're going to want one in return for him.  Pass or wait for them to sign him to see what his value is like.

I'm not sure why that would be the case, unless JB has other moves that would compliment this, like more salary leaving .At the end of of the year he becomes a UFA and moves on. Don't really see him and a big contract fitting in here, but he is good for more than 20 goals.

I haven't watched many Jets games this year, has he been on the PK much?

* I would not give much either. Certainly no draft picks. None of our best looking prospects either. Not just when we have a selection of them where 1 or 2 may turn out to be a gem. 

4 minutes ago, Nooks said:

He's a UFA who's 30+ years old and going to be looking to move up from is 4.4mil/AAV.  Also in the danger-zone (Kesler like production/role).  It wouldn't be unreasonable for him to ask for 7mil/6 years on his next contract.  The Jet's are rebuilding with a group of young prospects and they're going to want one in return for him.  Pass or wait for them to sign him to see what his value is like.

If they are looking to move him it isn't because they are about to sign him.

I posted in another thread about how tallon went on record after Ladd was traded from Chicago and how he thought he was the quintessential character guy that you win cups with.

Tallon LOVED that guy and he'll definetly make a trade happen to obtain him before benning can even blink if he hits the block.  Notice how Tallon has been a hand in a lot of former Hawks coming to the Panthers?

As for us, nope, not a chance.  His contract demands will be to high as will Chevys asking price for a team that is in transition.

I would rather wait for July 1st to arrive, and see if they're on the free agent market. Another player would be Lucic.

If they're not available at the that time, I'm fine either way.

If the Canucks were a 2010-11 team, that wanted to make a strong push in the playoffs, then I might have taken a chance, and given up a player depending on the needs.

Now, and in the current stage - no thanks.

No thanks, we're not in the market for rentals and on the UFA market he's gonna ask for something like $6 million+ per on a long term deal and at age 30 he isn't going to improve over that time span. Once his offence dries up in a few years you're just going to be left with an untradeable contract eating up cap space. The only teams that should be looking to add Ladd are Cup contenders trying to win in the immediate future, and that isn't us.

Archived