The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Pitt interested in Hammer

aliboy

22 minutes ago, theminister said:

He's great with the puck, not so great without. Isn't physical enough as a pro yet but makes a good first pass and, most importantly, moves out of his own end at an NHL level already. Needs work on his gap control and D reads. Those parts of his game are not NHL quality yet.

I was thinking he'd need to clear but upon reflection I believe you're correct that he does have a year left before waivers. 

Pouliot played RD to Cederholm's LD. But he switched in junior to either side with ease. I think we could pencil him in as a RD.

Thanks boss.  If Pittsburgh is willing to part with him, that extra year of AHL would be invaluable, especially with Pedan having to move up next year.  Gives Travis and Baumer a season to tweak him up, then we hopefully have the PPQB we've been waiting for. 

And you're right -- if we were to retain, and especially if Hamhuis were to agree to resign with Pittsburgh, Poulliot should not at all be out of reach.

30 minutes ago, Yotes said:

he is in the nhl right now playing so if they were to moving him i would be surprised, well more so for a pending ufa. 

Would like to have him, but think they would want a shinkaruk or other forward going back in a deal

The Canucks could find themselves in a tough spot fitting all this youth into the lineup with Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Grenier and Zalewski all looking for spots soon and Boeser on the horizon maybe adding in a Grenier or Gaunce to the deal might be worthwhile if the Canucks can get Pouliot back.

35 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

The Canucks could find themselves in a tough spot fitting all this youth into the lineup with Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Grenier and Zalewski all looking for spots soon and Boeser on the horizon maybe adding in a Grenier or Gaunce to the deal might be worthwhile if the Canucks can get Pouliot back.

I wouldn't say tough spot as much as developing depth in the organization affording time for some players ripen more so. Nothing wrong with being patient while giving opportunities when injuries etc arise.

The Canucks let's not kid ourselves are not an extremely deep organization but there are many promising players who won't be hurt by extra time in the minors before establishing roles in Vancouver in the next few seasons. 

Pouliot would be a very good addition if it were made possible.

ya we have prospects but thats where they sit now. Not a huge fan of Grenier myself but Grenier, Gaunce, Zalewski are probably 3/4th line nhlers. Shinkaruk could be on a youthful scoring 3rd line with potential to be a top 6, or similar to how hansen has played this year would be an alrite outcome for Shinkaruk. Speedy winger with scoring touch.

Boeser I hope he leaves school early and gets a year in the ahl, can he join ahl now after his year is over or no?

For a pouliot or other D we could add a bottom 6 projected forward from our prospect pool. But I think we hold on to them all and go into next years camp and see who impresses and pushes more vets out like this year.

I would target prospect D from teams as the return for vrbata and maybe if Hamhuis waives. Going this route speeds up the rebuild 1-X years depending when said D prospect was drafted. Lots out their just gotta pry some away and add to our cupboard. Not opposed to more wingers either myself. More prospects Green can teach the better, although he could get an nhl job offer at the end of this year.

25 minutes ago, Yotes said:

ya we have prospects but thats where they sit now. Not a huge fan of Grenier myself but Grenier, Gaunce, Zalewski are probably 3/4th line nhlers. Shinkaruk could be on a youthful scoring 3rd line with potential to be a top 6, or similar to how hansen has played this year would be an alrite outcome for Shinkaruk. Speedy winger with scoring touch.

Boeser I hope he leaves school early and gets a year in the ahl, can he join ahl now after his year is over or no?

For a pouliot or other D we could add a bottom 6 projected forward from our prospect pool. But I think we hold on to them all and go into next years camp and see who impresses and pushes more vets out like this year.

I would target prospect D from teams as the return for vrbata and maybe if Hamhuis waives. Going this route speeds up the rebuild 1-X years depending when said D prospect was drafted. Lots out their just gotta pry some away and add to our cupboard. Not opposed to more wingers either myself. More prospects Green can teach the better, although he could get an nhl job offer at the end of this year.

I think you're right keep our guys for now and pick up pieces in our veteran trades that could help with our d prospect pool. With all this youth coming up we have tons of cap space both this year and next maybe JB gets one of Byfuglien or Yandle this year and one of Burns or Shattenkirk the following year. Next thing you know our D is our strong suit. You just don't know what the Bennings plan is. Also I'm looking forward to Tryamkin soon! The Canucks should have around 10 to 12 million to spend each of these years.

26 minutes ago, playboi19 said:

Hopefully we re-sign him. 

im all for the Michalek Vermette Winnik type moves, get assets and for the right price bring him back as a FA. I dont think I would go super long term on big Buff, max 5yrs, which I think he passes on. Yandle is of interest depending on price and term.

If we resigned Hamhuis and targeted and got a decent FA D man, would it be wise to try to move Edler? Big return helps replenish the team even more. Leaving an ok D group still if hammer and 1 ufa d signs here. OR move Sbisa?

Great game by hammer, played very good imo. If he agrees to waive there will be teams looking to acquire him, lets hope he does whats best for the organization. come back in july for a pay cut, 4yr 10m NMC, mentor Hutton and any other young D.

4 hours ago, Yotes said:

im all for the Michalek Vermette Winnik type moves, get assets and for the right price bring him back as a FA. I dont think I would go super long term on big Buff, max 5yrs, which I think he passes on. Yandle is of interest depending on price and term.

If we resigned Hamhuis and targeted and got a decent FA D man, would it be wise to try to move Edler? Big return helps replenish the team even more. Leaving an ok D group still if hammer and 1 ufa d signs here. OR move Sbisa?

I'd be all for the Vermette style trade! Hamhuis wins a cup and signs back with the Canucks in the offseason. I've thought a lot about an Edler trade as well and one that makes sense might be at the draft for Ottawa's 1rst round pick + some other asset. Ottawa's first should end up falling around the area Jake Bean (supposed JB fave) could be in the draft. With all the cap space we could sign a Yandle and Okposo. Then the following year sign Burns or Shattenkirk.

2 hours ago, Yotes said:

Great game by hammer, played very good imo. If he agrees to waive there will be teams looking to acquire him, lets hope he does whats best for the organization. come back in july for a pay cut, 4yr 10m NMC, mentor Hutton and any other young D.

he really did look great ..  imagine how nervous he would have been to get back in there like that .       gutsy   ..          great show of character . .what team wouldn't benefit from that ?

8 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I'd be all for the Vermette style trade! Hamhuis wins a cup and signs back with the Canucks in the offseason. I've thought a lot about an Edler trade as well and one that makes sense might be at the draft for Ottawa's 1rst round pick + some other asset. Ottawa's first should end up falling around the area Jake Bean (supposed JB fave) could be in the draft. With all the cap space we could sign a Yandle and Okposo. Then the following year sign Burns or Shattenkirk.

I think for Edler we could move him to Dallas, target a return of something like Honka, Ritchie and their 1st. But I know they are real high on Ritchie, the fans that is

11 hours ago, Yotes said:

I realize he loves b.c but 2.5 million a season is a slap in the face.

26 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I realize he loves b.c but 2.5 million a season is a slap in the face.

oh i know its not a great offer, but he retires a canuck, stays home and its still 10m dollars he has made quite a bit already over 30m so if he wants security and being close to home i think its gotta be under 4m for sure, longer term lower cap was my thinking, id be okay more $ depending on term, if he wants longer term gotta take less coin. 

Consider this.

We trade Hammer, and arent able to get a young D in return.  Deal results in a late 1st or a couple 2nds.  He re-signs with the team he's traded to.  Reality is that late 1st or 2nds wont be apart of the Canucks for at least 2-4 years if ever.

We arent able to sign a top UFA dman...

Now wut??

edler tanev

sbisa hutton

pedan biega

tryamkin

really?

what hapens if edler or tanev get injured?

We cant compete with a d core like that, regardless of what the forward group looks like, whom will most certainly still struggle to score goals again next season.

The reality is that if we trade away Dan Hamhuis, we are risking putting this team into rebuild for far longer than it would be WITH him as a mentor and a capable D whom can eat big minutes and allow us to draft and develop another D over the next few years.

I would also like to move Hammer for a 1st + or a stud yound D, BUT there is reason to be cautious and honestly just re-signing Dan would be a far safer move for the transition of the rebuild.

I think that IF you do deal him, you have to be really confident that youll be landing a top 5 D man at UFA...  Which is always a gamble, unless theres a secret handshake before you deal Hammer....  This conversation needs to take place.  Work out a contract, tell him its waiting for him in the off season.

13 minutes ago, 70seven said:

Consider this.

We trade Hammer, and arent able to get a young D in return.  Deal results in a late 1st or a couple 2nds.  He re-signs with the team he's traded to.  Reality is that late 1st or 2nds wont be apart of the Canucks for at least 2-4 years if ever.

Now wut??

edler tanev

sbisa hutton

pedan biega

tryamkin

really?

We cant compete with a d core like that, regardless of what the forward group looks like, whom will most certainly still struggle to score goals again next season.

The reality is that if we trade away Dan Hamhuis, we are risking putting this team into rebuild for far longer than it would be WITH him as a mentor and a capable D whom can eat big minutes and allow us to draft and develop another D over the next few years.

I would also like to move Hammer for a 1st + or a stud yound D, BUT there is reason to be cautious and honestly just re-signing Dan would be a far safer move for the transition of the rebuild.

I think that IF you do deal him, you have to be really confident that youll be landing a top 5 D man at UFA...  Which is always a gamble, unless theres a secret handshake before you deal Hammer....  This conversation needs to take place.  Work out a contract, tell him its waiting for him in the off season.

at some point you have to deal your oldest dman....better now I'm a deep draft no?

obviously there are risks involved.

12 minutes ago, 70seven said:

Consider this.

Now wut??

edler tanev

sbisa hutton

pedan biega

tryamkin

really?

I think it is a lot simpler than this it would be a prospect who may be very close already to the big league.Then you go out an bid free agent market for big pmd .

you also start drafting when an where you can pmd with size an upside skills for development.There are currently o 1 or 2 more on blue line that could be traded as possibility i.e.,Tanev for Hammonic etc

Archived