The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Ideas to Increase Scoring

So the NHL is looking for way to increase scoring around the league. They want to make the nets bigger, but as Carey Price said this may increase goaltender groin injuries. So aside from increasing the size of the net here are some of my ideas to increase scoring.

Get rid of the trapezoid - Most goalies in the game today aren't great puck handlers. if the trapezoid is removes more goaltenders may be caught out of their net. 

Goalies cant handle the puck behind the net at all - This would greatly affect coverage and their ability to stop plays.

Icing on Penalty Kills - This would increase the PP percentage of all teams by quite a bit. 

Smaller Goalie Sticks - Perhaps instead of the huge stick they currently use a more sleek slimmer version would increase the gaps in the 5 hole and such. Goalies will get use to it after a while but still it increases the space to shoot.

any other ideas? there are just thoughts 

2 minutes ago, ken kaniff said:

So the NHL is looking for way to increase scoring around the league. They want to make the nets bigger, but as Carey Price said this may increase goaltender groin injuries. So aside from increasing the size of the net here are some of my ideas to increase scoring.

Get rid of the trapezoid - Most goalies in the game today aren't great puck handlers. if the trapezoid is removes more goaltenders may be caught out of their net. 

Goalies cant handle the puck behind the net at all - This would greatly affect coverage and their ability to stop plays.

Icing on Penalty Kills - This would increase the PP percentage of all teams by quite a bit. 

Smaller Goalie Sticks - Perhaps instead of the huge stick they currently use a more sleek slimmer version would increase the gaps in the 5 hole and such. Goalies will get use to it after a while but still it increases the space to shoot.

any other ideas? there are just thoughts 

Having icing on the PP would just encourage the other team rifling it down the ice every time even more. Then they kill a few seconds and don't have to set up to defend entry, just take another face off. Would make for boring hockey.

restricting a good puck moving goalie to the trapezoid doesn't help. there,s some good puck handling goalie,s  out there that could change the game,s flow, also won't have to rely on the hybrid icing rule. it,s a non factor for goalie,s who can't move the puck, and then the hybrid icing stand,s 

Most mid-wk, Ariz/CBJ 2-1 sleepers are as exciting as a dental appt..now cue the league-apologists who'll tell you a "well-played" 1-0 barn-burner, is better than a "sloppy, poorly-played 6-4, goal-fest!" THEN they'll say.."You must not like hockey, I guess?"

Ahh, caught in a recurring CDC time-loop...

Just now, Heretic said:

Who said the NHL is looking for ways to increase scoring?

The scoring is fine the way it is.

If you want to see a lot of scoring - then change sports and go watch basketball.

Are you joking? This has been an ongoing topic all year and last year. Get your head in the game Zac Effron

Just now, ken kaniff said:

Are you joking? This has been an ongoing topic all year and last year. Get your head in the game Zac Effron

I've heard "media" and some "fans" - but I've never seen a statement from the NHL about it.

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Penalize blocking shots, goalies cannot leave crease, goalies cannot freeze the puck unless his entire team is within the defensive zone, and ffs call hooking.

I like all these.

As I have said before, ban leaving both feet/skates, including goalies.

How many 2-1s or 3-1s are lost by a player sliding on his belly? is that a "hockey play"?

just thinking quickly ,

If they returned to putting the red line back in play, it may force defensive errors, and if you add to it, that offside passes made from the defensive zone will return back to the defensive zone with no defensive line change and adhere to the hurry up puck drop (drop it with only 1 centre present if necessary, like it had been done before) I think would produce more goals

• 7 months later...

Archived