The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016 is Coming For Them All-Now Paul Kantner

nucklehead

https://www.yahoo.com/music/paul-kantner-jefferson-airplane-co-founder-guitarist-dies-003827400.html

Jefferson Airplane guitarist, vocalist and founding member Paul Kantner has died. He was 74. 

Kantner passed away on Thursday (Jan. 28) of multiple organ failure, following a heart attack earlier in the week. 

From 1965-1972, Jefferson Airplane was a pioneer in the Bay Area counterculture psychedelic rock scene, first defining what became known as the "San Francisco sound."

Kantner and guitarist and vocalist Marty Balin formed the band in a bar called the Drinking Gourd, intending the group to be a folk-rock group. Amidst the city's drug experimentation, they developed something far more interesting.

Jefferson Airplane had the fortune or misfortune of discovering Fender Twin Reverb amps and LSD in the same week while in college. That’s a great step forward," Kantner told author and music historian Harvey Kubernik. "We went into it our normal selves.... The point is if you find something that makes you joyful take note of it. Amplify it if you can. Tell other people about it. That's what San Francisco was about. Both musically, idealistically and metaphorically and every other way. That's what we did here."

RIP 

" With Jefferson Airplane, Kantner helped pioneer the oft-imitated psychedelic sound: simple, fuzzy guitar lines steeped in dreamlike reverb. The group formed in 1965 and, within a few years, scored hits with "Somebody to Love" and "White Rabbit." In their first run, five of the band's seven albums went gold, including 1967's Surrealistic Pillow and 1968's Crown of Creation. "

...those times in San Francisco was a different world. I lived it, growing up at ocean Beach. I grew up during the Haight Ashbury days, Hippies, gangs, Hells' Angel's, Black Panthers, Santana, Steppenwolf, Cream, iron Butterfly, the SLA, Jim Jones, civil rights, Vietnam war, west coast California Dreaming, beach Boys, animals, stones, turtles, rascals, the Doors with lite my fire! lost many friends. you could walk at night safely in any part of the city and a stranger would smoke a joint with you. joints were 50 cents, and lid's were ten dollars. we cruised the streets in Hot rods, corvettes, 32 fords, 40 ford's, buicks,  super sports, 55,56,57 chevy's. Drag racing, Malt shops, hot weather, surfing, chasing girls before it became a crime. went to the summer of love , Golden gate Park in 1967, 10,000 people walking around nude, throwing Frisbee's, a cloud over the people of weed. the Hell's angel's and gypsy jokers walking through the crowd. people falling out of trees, red Mountain wine, panama red, ultra weed. Crazy!!  yep! then I joined the Marines july 12th 1971. there will never be a time in history like those times. so glad I was part of the experience!!  Jimi Hendrix.

...its hard to believe how the time went so fast?  most all the people and times gone!  I was young, and it seemed life was forever. And those times in the 1960's lasted for a good time, then year after year things were changing, not for the better. and I remember how I felt living in the moment back then. In 1969 in High School in San Francisco, I remember it was a beautiful Sunny day, and we were cruising in a guys 67 Chevelle Super Sport 396, drinking red mountain wine, smoking panama red, and listening to " Magic Carpet Ride".   we were young and strong, and on top of the world.    Jim Dickson

Archived