The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Video] Benning: We won't draft by position, taking best player.

homersexual

3 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

He also said they are looking for defenceman, kind of contradicts himself there.

No he doesn't contradict himself.  He said the team is looking good for forwards, and they would like to add defensemen.

However, he is not going to pick a less skilled player just because they are a defenseman... he will always pick who he feels is the most talented player available.

2 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

He also said they are looking for defenceman, kind of contradicts himself there.

Not really, first he said that they have good forward depth in prospects and now they want to focus on defense.  That I take to be for the whole draft.  Later, he's talking about his overall philosophy in drafting which is BPA.  In the first round, he'll take the BPA but is looking for D.  I'm interpreting that he means, if there is a tie, he'll take the D.  In the later rounds, he feels free to take D.

He's quite open which is surprising and really seems to be enjoying himself.  Maybe he's seen something he really likes.

Saw that interview. Yup, he said they'd take the best player available in the first round only, so if it's not a d-man they'll then try to grab one or more d-men starting in round 2 and later. He also mentioned he thinks as a team we're deep in forward prospects and need to focus more on the back end.

I like his honesty, but doesn't announcing what you need to the world make it more difficult/more expensive to make a deal to either move higher up in the draft or trade for a defensive prospect?

12 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Saw that interview. Yup, he said they'd take the best player available in the first round only, so if it's not a d-man they'll then try to grab one or more d-men starting in round 2 and later. He also mentioned he thinks as a team we're deep in forward prospects and need to focus more on the back end.

I like his honesty, but doesn't announcing what you need to the world make it more difficult/more expensive to make a deal to either move higher up in the draft or trade for a defensive prospect?

I think he feels that the other GMs are just as aware as he is of the various teams' depth structures. Those depth charts he has on his office walls - most likely every GM has something similar.

If they don't, they aren't doing their job properly, and they end up having to make the kind of blind trade offers you see so often on CDC. You know: Raymond, Ballard and a draft pick for any player you want, with no regard for what the other team needs. 

I'm sure he feels he is not giving away any secrets. In fact, making sure all the other teams know what he wants means they might come to him with deals that might be of interest.

31 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Not really. Probably even makes it more clear to the market what to approach you about.

If I was a guessing person, more deals probably get done when you know what is going to get a deal done...  Than when you bring multiple offers to the table that don't strike to the heart of any needs.

47 minutes ago, crazycry said:

and we're only 2 points behind Arizona...crazy

High picks are good, but I'm not too worried about the draft anymore. Mid to end of MG's tenure decent players were scouted/drafted/developed. 

Parity is wild. Hopefully we land a blue chip in the draft whether we make the playoffs or not.

12 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

I think he feels that the other GMs are just as aware as he is of the various teams' depth structures. Those depth charts he has on his office walls - most likely every GM has something similar.

If they don't, they aren't doing their job properly, and they end up having to make the kind of blind trade offers you see so often on CDC. You know: Raymond, Ballard and a draft pick for any player you want, with no regard for what the other team needs. 

I'm sure he feels he is not giving away any secrets. In fact, making sure all the other teams know what he wants means they might come to him with deals that might be of interest.

I should have jumped to the end. I just responded to the same post. And pretty much said the same thing.

It's nice having a GM who is actually open and honest up front. Refreshing. We need D prospects badly, and I think this is the best chance at a draft since 2012 to get some. We'll see what happens in the standings, but I think if we end up too far down to get a D, I wouldn't be surprised if Benning moves up. 

Archived