The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Draft Day Magnificence (Proposal)

I ran the draft lottery simulator: Toronto, Vancouver, Ottawa.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOW - This is my ideal pre-draft and draft day results.

We deadline day moved Vrbata to Montreal and retained a % of his cap, for a first round pick. However, he remains stagnant and they don't turn the season around. Therefore, we end up with the 7th overall pick as well. (They are 6-18-1 in the last 25, who knows how bad it gets).

We deadline day moved Hamhuis to Dallas for a first round pick - it will be late - Hamhuis is an olympian and SCF runner up. He is still exceptional, has the experience, and aside from a poor start of the season he will have lots of energy to provide and experience, making him a valuable asset for playoff teams. We end up with the 27th overall pick as well.

Come the drafting:

1) Toronto does not hesitate and takes Matthews - setting the future core with Nylander Marner Kapanen Matthews and maybe Stamkos.

2) We, Vancouver, do not hesitate to take either Patrick Laine or Jesse Puljujarvi.

***We have a trade to announce***

The Ottawa Senators trade the 3rd overall pick to the Vancouver Canucks in exchange for the 7th overall pick and Alex Edler.

3) The Vancouver Canucks follow up with whom they did not take of either Patrick Laine or Jesse Puljujarvi

Similar to how we acquired the Sedin's at 2 and 3, but with Benning not Burke, we get 2 monstrous power forwards with every skill the game has: Speed, Strength, Handles, Shot, IQ, Defensive, Size

With the $15 Million in cap space following the loss of Hammer Vrb and Edler and re-signing of Biega Bartkowski Baertschi Etem Vey, Benning moves onto the free agency frenzy.

Benning tries to sign:

Kris Russell @ 5.5 Million per, for 5 years.

Andrew Ladd @ 6-7 Million per, for 5 years.

Luke Schenn @ 2 Million per, for 3 years.

Canucks enter 2016-17 with their drafted acquisitions in AHL. A few call ups here and there.

2017-18 looks like this.

Sutter Horvat Ladd

Sedin's Virtanen

Laine McCann Puljujarvi

Gaunce Zalewski Hansen

Etem

Russel Tanev

Hutton Biega

Schenn Sbisa

Bartkowski

Markstrom

Demko

Absolutely no chance that Montreal does not protect that pick if they deal it. Besides with the season he has had its unlikely anyone offers a 1st for him. Sorry to break the bubble, but I doubt we will ever see anyone pull off what Burke did that year.

I love the image of that 2017-18 side, but realistically, it's a pipe dream.

- As Toews says above, if Montreal is dealing a pick, they're going to protect it, unless we added something else to the deal (like our second).
- I don't think Hamhuis gets us a 1st. He's not the Hamhuis of 2009-14. I'd be happy with a 2nd rounder for him, but would rather we re-sign him.
- I really don't think we end up with 2nd overall; if we do, we should draft Puljujarvi.
- I hate the acquisition of Russell, even at $2m, never mind $5.5m. I'd rather look at Goligoski, Campbell, Yandle and Mitchell. Main reason: that D has about 6 goals per season in it, combined.

Plus, as we all know, Edmonton wins the lottery.

Ideally we get two picks in the top 10 and are able to take Pulijaarvi/Tkachuk and Juolevi so we can shore up both the offense and defense.

Top 5 picks are going to take a LOT to pry off of teams, so if we're going to get one it's going to have to be because we tanked ourselves imo.

1 hour ago, Tig'ol Bitties said:

Ideally we get two picks in the top 10 and are able to take Pulijaarvi/Tkachuk and Juolevi so we can shore up both the offense and defense.

Top 5 picks are going to take a LOT to pry off of teams, so if we're going to get one it's going to have to be because we tanked ourselves imo.

Absolutely.  We have our own top five pick, and we get some one like Montreal's first rounder too.  Then they miss the playoffs, and we get lucky with the lotto and steal a top three.  :o. Then JB, being an arrogant Sod farmer, trades the third overall pick for the 15 and 17 picks, and the cycle of mediocracy continues. :lol:

Not worth giving Eddie up for that little (just to move up 4 spots).  

Also, the only puck-moving/ offense from that back-end group would be from Hutton, and what if he has a sophomore slump?  Russell is defensively-oriented, as are Tanev, Schenn and Sbisa.  Also, Kris and Chris will get pushed around as Kris is only 5'10", while Chris is no giant himself.  Eddie has 5 inches and 40 lbs on Kris, and with him moved that has to be the lightest D pairing in the league.       

I think there are 3 options for us on Draft day (assuming we get 2 1sts from Vrbata and Hamhuis). Our pick would be around 8th overall, while our 2 acquired picks would be around 20-25. 

1) Trade all 3 picks plus one of Shinkaurik/Boeser for a top-3 pick. This gets us one of Laine or Pulujaarvi, assuming we trade for 3rd overall. If we get 2nd and we have to choose, I would take Laine. This eliminates our chances for a defenseman in the 1st round, but we end up with a future star player who can step in next year and be the face of the youth movement. Laine/Pulujaarvi is a HUGE upgrade over Boeser/Shinkaurik, and it would be worth losing a couple other 1sts. We have the rest of the Draft to focus solely on defenseman.

2) We trade our 2 later 1sts plus Pedan to move up into the top-14 again and get another good player. This gives us the flexibility to take 2 defenseman, a forward then a defenseman or a defenseman then a forward. We get 2 good players before the drop off at 15, with at least one of them being a defenseman. 

3) We hold on to our picks and make 3 selections in the 1st round. We take at minimum 1 defenseman. We get one good shot in the top-15, and then 2 Hail Mary's. 

Personally, I think we should be trying to do whatever it takes to get into the top-3. If we have to add more to my proposal then do it. Obviously, we can't gut our entire team, but it's something we should really look at. Honestly, I would trade our entire draft minus the 2nd and 3rd round with a bit more to get into the top-3. Getting a talent like that would be amazing for our organization both on and off the ice. We could have lines like this next year:

Sedin - Sedin - Sutter

Baertschi - Horvat - Laine/Pulujaarvi 

Burrows - McCann - Virtanen

Gaunce - Cracknell - Hansen

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - UFA

Hutton - Sbisa

It would be worth it to move up for me.

Mtl wouldn't make that trade (Vrb) without protection, and even then... I don't think Bergevin would do it.

If Dallas would (Hammer)...hells ya! But, I want him back next year, our D is weak (to be nice) and I hope he resign here. There are a lot of CDC dissing that guy, but you're all wrong, Hammer is awesome (and having a really bad year).

EDLER WON'T WAIVE.

Why no mention of what to do with all of our prospects and RFA's, did we let them walk so we could pick up UFA's when this team's all about building in a youth movement? You'd think Gaunce, Shink, Grenier and Pedan should be on their way for next year or moved in trade packages. Those guys are due for something. And then there's Cassels... dude could pull a Horvat....if we're really lucky.

I hope we see some movement TDL so we can have a little more insight into which of the prospects they see sticking around, and hopefully get a good pick for Vrb in the process.

We need young D, badly. Really .. real bad.

4 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Thats a pretty steep price! As much as I'd like the big three I'd prefer option 3 or 2. There are some really great picks to be had at the back of the first round. I mean option one could be Laine for Sergachyov, Green, Laberge, Shinkaruk.

It is a steep price. We could lose out on all those players you mentioned. I, however, think it would be a franchise defining move if we secured traded into a top-3 spot this year with the top-3 looking as elite as it is. I think it would be more beneficial to us than taking 2 other players. I love Sergachyov, I think he is a top-5 talent in the Draft, but if we have any sort of chance to move up, I would do it. The thought of putting one of the Finns with Horvat is too good to pass up.

We still have all our picks from rounds 2-7 to use on defenseman. I actually really liked Day's performance at the prospects game. I would love to take a gamble on him in the second round. If he puts it all together, which he very well could with Green and Desjardains, he could be a #1 defenseman. 

Of course, if we end up selecting 3 players in the 1st round I won't be complaining.

Archived