The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Could Be Several Oilers On The Block

Boddy604

Teddy Purcell. Age 30. RW. Pending UFA current cap hit 4.5 million

Eric Gryba. Age 27. D. Pending UFA. Current cap hit 1.25 million

Justin Schultz. Age 25. D. Pending RFA. Current cap hit 3.9 million.

Nikita Nikitin. Age 29. D. Pending UFA. Current cap hit 3.55 million

Rob Klinkhammer. Age 29. F. Pending UFA. Current cap hit 725k.

These are the one's I see being shopped or  potentially reaching free agency.

Other pending UFA or RFA are Clendenning, Kassian, Pakarinen, Davidson, Nilssen 

Lot of work for the Oilers organization between now and next season. Not sure Canucks should really try and trade for any of those guys. Maybe Gryba but probably not for what they'd want in return. Wouldn't be opposed to grabbing Purcell from free agency though if guys like Okposo aren't available. Assuming of course he's not seeking some ridiculous number like 6+

.http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2016/01/29/37199/

Oilers likely have some quality forwards available but Canucks do not have the assets to get them. Unless it was something like Edler for Eberle or RNH but I'm not sure that wouldn't just be a step back for us.

I'd actually be really on board for Gryba though. RH shot, defensively reliable, not overly expensive.

And with the aquisition of Clendenning, they will probably be looking to move out a right shot D.

I'd guess Schultz, Nikitin, and Klinkhammer are probably done in the NHL after this season. Someone might grab Schultz as a project but his cap hit is gonna make people think twice if he's expecting even a new deal for the same price. As bad as the Oilers are though, Purcell and Gryba are pretty decent. They'll be picked up in a minute if they make free agency.

They'll try to re sign Gryba, he's a big body Dman, the kind Oilers need but is playing above his pay grade right now. He won't get much back in a trade so they should try to sign him. He should be a # 7 Dman.

Nikitin is buried in the minors, has no value. Maybe some GM trades for him if Oilers eat most of his $3.55 mill cap hit. Won't get much back.

Davidson and Nilsson and Pakarinen are not getting traded, they'll be re signed, all three are RFA

Kass will most likely resign if he can keep his head clear.

Curious to see what they do with Justin Schultz. They could go either way, trade or re sign. He's also RFA

Purcell should be traded and probably will be.

41 minutes ago, J.R. said:

They're not really selling anything we could either afford or want. 

Pretty much this/

They'll be selling a 1C in Hopkins. We don't have anything to give them back for such a valuable piece. 

They may also sell Eberle or their 1st rounder this coming draft. Again we couldn't afford either piece. 

They may also sell Yak but I doubt it, his contract is much better than Eberle's and he brings explosiveness and top end talent, just starting to put it all together before his injury. I wouldn't trade him if I was PC but Canucks couldn't afford him either. 

So yeah, lots of pieces I'd want but can't afford. Can't go shopping for a Ferrari on a Ford budget. 

17 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

They'll try to re sign Gryba, he's a big body Dman, the kind Oilers need but is playing above his pay grade right now. He won't get much back in a trade so they should try to sign him. He should be a # 7 Dman.

Nikitin is buried in the minors, has no value. Maybe some GM trades for him if Oilers eat most of his $3.55 mill cap hit. Won't get much back.

Davidson and Nilsson and Pakarinen are not getting traded, they'll be re signed, all three are RFA

Kass will most likely resign if he can keep his head clear.

Curious to see what they do with Justin Schultz. They could go either way, trade or re sign. He's also RFA

Purcell should be traded and probably will be.

I highly doubt Shultz stays with Edmonton. He will be a ufa as I doubt Edmonton offers a qualifying offer as he makes to much.

Just since you're newer, OP, and it appears you don't know, every thread in the Trades, Rumours and Signings forum must have a tag. Some of the ones you can use are Trade, Signing, Rumour and Speculation. Stick those at the start of your title and put them in square brackets - i.e. [Speculation] - and you're all set.

Also, not just any source will do. Some of the more unreliable ones aren't allowed, like HockeyyInsiderr is a no go. Eklund's allowed but only with the [Eklund] tag. NHLTradeRumours is on the edge, and at best in this piece they're just quoting others.

That brings up another point: always quote an excerpt of the article you're linking so you don't redirect traffic to another site. This is especially true if you're linking you own article or site just to get hits, but is good practice for any link you post when creating a new thread. It's great that you talk about the Oilers yourself, but when you are putting up your own names or not all the names in the article, then you aren't really referencing the original rumour or speculation.

This is a lot of speculation from what I can see, and it looks mostly like some journalists spitballing than anything approaching a rumour.

Archived