The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Alex Kovalev to make an NHL comeback?

Alex Kovalev was arguably one of the most talented players in NHL history.

Was he consistent? Absolutely not, but the talent was always evident.

Kovalev, who turns 43 next month, last played in the NHL in 2012-13 when he was a member of the Florida Panthers. He notched two goals and five points in 14 contests.

In his last full season (2010-11), the Russian forward had 16 goals and 34 points with the Sens and Pens.

So, why is this important?

Simple. Kovalev is looking for another shot in the NHL.

“I’d pay a lot of money to come back and help a team,” Kovalev said, per the Journal de Montreal (quotes have been translated).

“I’m in exceptional shape. I do martial arts workouts five times a week. I’ve managed to bring my weight down to 225 pounds and I’ve built up a significant amount of muscle mass. I’d be able to play in an NHL game after a few days of practice.”

Kovalev last played pro hockey in 2013-14, when he suited up in the Swiss-B League. There, he managed to put up impressive point totals (22 goals, 52 points in 44 games).

That still doesn’t make a return to the NHL likely.

No team has reached out to Kovalev and he insists he isn’t the type of guy who’s gonna pick up the phone to ask an NHL team for an opportunity.

When asked if he would come back to help the slumping Canadiens (his former team), Kovalev answered: “I’d come back right away. If Jaromir Jagr can do it, so can I.”

Confident fellow.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/01/30/alex-kovalev-still-wants-to-play-in-the-nhl-if-jagr-can-do-it-so-can-i/

9 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

Bahaha, "one of the most talented players in NHL history"...

Not even close.

Yes he was. As elite a talent as it gets. Worth ethic was the issue with him, limiting his ultimate success. 

If he had the drive and focus he would unquestionably be top 5 in points. 

Just now, RRypien37 said:

Yes he was. As elite a talent as it gets. Worth ethic was the issue with him, limiting his ultimate success. 

If he had the drive and focus he would unquestionably be top 5 in points. 

And if my car had wings and jet propulsion it could fly...but it doesn't, so it can't.

Just like Kovalev...he didn't have the drive, focus, work ethic, & determination to be one of the greatest NHL talents, so he isn't. 

Next you'll try and convince me Phil Kessel is one of the greatest NHL talents of all time.

4 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

And if my car had wings and jet propulsion it could fly...but it doesn't, so it can't.

Just like Kovalev...he didn't have the drive, focus, work ethic, & determination to be one of the greatest NHL talents, so he isn't. 

Next you'll try and convince me Phil Kessel is one of the greatest NHL talents of all time.

Note the article says he's talented.  Not saying he's one of the top 5 talents.  

He had some of the sickest mitts in his day, dangling well but agreeing with you that the drive, focus, work ethic and determination weren't always there.  Just like how some elite danglers (e.g. Pat Kane, Datsyuk, etc.) have combined their talents and drive to succeed while guys like Hemsky, who lack some tools in their toolbox, have not, Kovalev was one of the players in the latter group but that doesn't take away how talented he was.

Back on topic, I'd say give him a PTO if he does want to try a comeback.  He's been training, likely still has the hands and he's been captain in this league before so character-wise he won't hinder the kids.  He won't get a spot just because he's who he is, but no point in not taking a no-risk, potentially decently-rewarding gamble.     

One of the most skilled players ever. He honestly could probably do it if he hasn't lost that. His game doesn't really rely on speed so he can still be effective. Never has REALLY needed it with his style. As a playmaker on the wing, I could see him putting up some pretty good numbers... Really the question is if his skill is still there. I'd think it is. You don't really lose it TOO much. Part of me hopes he makes a comeback, maybe with an ECHL or AHL team first, but part of me just rather he not since I wouldn't want him ruining his legacy if he's terrible.

21 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

Talent is something totally separate from work ethic. If we're talking about sheer natural ability, then yes, Kovalev is one of the most talented players of all time. Even Gretzky has been on record saying this.

6 minutes ago, nergish said:

Talent is something totally separate from work ethic. If we're talking about sheer natural ability, then yes, Kovalev is one of the most talented players of all time. Even Gretzky has been on record saying this.

Yes to used to have elite talent.

NO CHANCE HE'S COMING BACK HERE TO PLAY.

Archived