The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Alex Kovalev to make an NHL comeback?

15 minutes ago, nergish said:

Talent is something totally separate from work ethic. If we're talking about sheer natural ability, then yes, Kovalev is one of the most talented players of all time. Even Gretzky has been on record saying this.

To be fair Gretzky pretty much said Kyle Turris was the best player in the league so I wouldn't give what he says too much credibility but still. Kovalev was amazingly skilled and imo one of the best stick handlers in history.

1 hour ago, slickjim23 said:

One of the most skilled players ever. He honestly could probably do it if he hasn't lost that. His game doesn't really rely on speed so he can still be effective. Never has REALLY needed it with his style. As a playmaker on the wing, I could see him putting up some pretty good numbers... Really the question is if his skill is still there. I'd think it is. You don't really lose it TOO much. Part of me hopes he makes a comeback, maybe with an ECHL or AHL team first, but part of me just rather he not since I wouldn't want him ruining his legacy if he's terrible.

LOL. What kind of legacy do you think Kovalev has as an NHLer? He's already known as one of the biggest wastes of talent. 

I'd be so stoked if Benning got OG Kovy over here. Why not make the off-season of the Russian and bring in Kovalev, Tryamkin, have Zhukenov in the AHL and have Zaitsev come over? 

I know in the 90s everyone was questioning his work ethic, but I think that was severely overblown and definitely gone by his late career. He was still 3rd on the 1994 NYR SC winning team in playoff points as a 21 year old, still managed 95 points in the league and had 100 points in 123 playoff games, 1000 career points in 1300 regular season games, and more cups than the Canucks franchise. So question his work ethic but his numbers are still pretty damn good. 

The guy is so talented and so good at reading the game that you could just have him cherry pick during the Sedin PP and he'd probably put up 20 goals if he was anywhere near being in the same shape he was a few years ago. 

6 minutes ago, slickjim23 said:

Guy has a cup and a gold medal and you don't think he has a legacy. SMH. Children these days..

You're completely deaf and blind to any discussion in the past 10-15 years about Kovalev. Nobody denies he has talent, but anyone around him acknowledges he never played to his potential on a consistent basis. 

5 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

You're completely deaf and blind to any discussion in the past 10-15 years about Kovalev. Nobody denies he has talent, but anyone around him acknowledges he never played to his potential on a consistent basis. 

Doesn't mean he doesn't have a legacy, lol. SMH

8 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Learn how to read sweetheart, I never said he didn't have a legacy.

Yeah you did though, sweetie pie darling angel. You implied it. He's had a great legacy. Recognized as one of the most skilled players to ever play, won a cup and a gold medal, Put up over a PPG a few times... That's more than a high high high majority of players can say. He has a legacy, a great one at that.

Just now, slickjim23 said:

Yeah you did though, sweetie pie darling angel. You implied it. He's had a great legacy. Recognized as one of the most skilled players to ever play, won a cup and a gold medal, Put up over a PPG a few times... That's more than a high high high majority of players can say. He has a legacy, a great one at that.

Nope. He's done a lot of great things. Clearly my first post of the youtube video showed that I'm a fan. But you're a blind homer if you don't think that he will forever be named as a player that could have been better than he was.

11 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Nope. He's done a lot of great things. Clearly my first post of the youtube video showed that I'm a fan. But you're a blind homer if you don't think that he will forever be named as a player that could have been better than he was.

lol why would I be a homer? I had to watch him win a cup with the Rags against the Canucks in '94. I don't really like him, but I can recognize what he's done.

4 hours ago, falcon45ca said:

And if my car had wings and jet propulsion it could fly...but it doesn't, so it can't.

Just like Kovalev...he didn't have the drive, focus, work ethic, & determination to be one of the greatest NHL talents, so he isn't. 

Next you'll try and convince me Phil Kessel is one of the greatest NHL talents of all time.

You're trippin'.

Archived