The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] - Caps interested in Hamhuis

Mackcanuck

CSN MID ATLANTIC: Chuck Gormley believes the Washington Capitals will try to acquire a veteran defenseman before the Feb. 29 trade deadline, in part based upon the health of blueliner Brooks Orpik. who’s missed 33 games to a lower-body injury. He feels Capitals GM Brian MacLellan could pursue Vancouver Canucks rearguard Dan Hamhuis, speculating the asking price could be their first-round pick and either a prospect or a roster player like Stan Galiev. Gormley noted Hamhuis’ recent facial injury, but also points out he played for Capitals coach Barry Trotz during their years with the Nashville Predators.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: I expect the Caps will do something before the deadline. There’s been speculation for several weeks suggesting the Capitals could add a defenseman to bolster their blueline for what they hope will be a Stanley Cup run this spring. While the Capitals were linked to Dustin Byfuglien, Hamhuis could be a more affordable pickup for the Caps. 

http://spectorshockey.net/sunday-nhl-rumor-roundup-january-31-2016/

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/hockey-washington-capitals/talk/will-caps-make-trade-deadline?

2 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Think we could land Bowey?

First thought I had. I would do pretty much anything I had to, to take a Hamhuis/Bowey swap. (more pieces added for balancing of course)

But that would be HUGE. Still a second first rounder could still suffice. There should be some great defensmen in the 25-30 section. Someone usually ends up falling as there are only so many picks. But a return like that isn;t bad at all

So many people on this board have called Hammer useless this year...not so useless after all. Hamhuis will garner a lot of interest from teams that are all in this year. Even coming off an injury a lot of GM's know what kind of game Hammer brings along with his class and composure in the room.

5 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

You can ask, but won't get that, if you get Bowey straight across for Hammer you take it and run.

That might be true, but what do you think is valued more by Washington, the Stanley Cup, or 10+ years of Madison Bowey? In the past, teams have payed a premium at the deadline, so I'm sure that will stay the same this year. I'd be more than willing to add Cassels, or a mid round pick.

1 minute ago, smokes said:

I say hold on until the dominoes start to fall. The Canucks were the first to get rid of Lack last year and all others trades ended up with higher compensation.

I thought Lehner was the first to go. I have terrible memory though.

As for trading Hammer. I'd seriously like to resign him should he get traded. Vermette style. 

Archived