The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] - Caps interested in Hamhuis

Mackcanuck

34 minutes ago, smokes said:

I think not, with Winnipeg aggresively persuing Buff, there really is only 3 real good adds to a playoff team. Harmonic, Shattenkirk and Hamhuis. Even if Buff winds up in the market, that only makes it 4 real good defensmen out there out of 16 teams who need an upgrade on their D. So far Pittsburgh and Washington is only what we are hearing, if this is true, I would suspect a few more teams calling Benning after they get wind the Hammer might be on the block. Why just settle for Bowie. I've seen GM's give away a truck load of prospects for a chance to win it all. Remember Yandle for Duclaire.

Wash would probably prefer "Harmonic" if they had guitars to tune....:P

25 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Hamhuis plus Brisebois...? Though I might want a mid/late pick coming back then. 

Gives them a decent replacement D prospect. 

This is the right ballpark.  Potential trade partners do have some leverage on Washington with Orpik out, but Bowey is too obviously good a prospect not to command something more than a rental.  I hope JB is all over this. 

1 hour ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

basically Benning can play the rivals against eachother. Either Bowey or Pouliott. 

Ya....until Hammer realizes that he is once again coached by Sullivan and passes....

I don't think we getting Bowey. I can see the 1st and prospect as a nice return.

Zack Sanford or the big Swiss Dman they got last draft are projection prospects too.

24yr old Nate Schmidt also fits Benning's profile as well, and still with a .8k cap hit for 2 yrs

With Hamhuis' injury this year, I'd be stoked if GMJB managed to get a low 1st round pick for him (esp. considering he might sign again in the summer anyway considering his loyalty to Smithers, BC (maybe he'd sign in Edmonton though?)). 

I don't hate the idea, but don't really see where LWer Galiev would fit into the line-up (as the rumour suggests). Would be just as happy to see Shink called-up to finish the year if the Canucks need a goal-scoring LWer. 

I could be wrong, but I think Connor Carrick has 1 more year of waiver ineligiblity so maybe: Carrick + a 1st for Hamhuis 50% retained. 

Hamhuis was a cornerstone to Trotz's defense when he was developing all those amazing D in Nashville, and was a defensive rock in Trotz's most successful seasons (51 and 49 wins), so I could see the interest. 

The leadership tandem of Bo Horvat leading the forwards, and Madison Bowey leading the defence would be huge. I honestly think it would solidify our future core. I would do

To Washington: Dan Hamhuis, 2nd round pick

To Van: Madison Bowey, Late round pick

I think that is a fair deal. Hamhuis is a guy that can help them now. Bowey won't be in the NHl until next year, at least and won't be an impact player for another 3 or 4 years.  They get Hamhuis for now, and I would even give them a second round pick to really sweeten the pot. We solidify our future core and retain our first pick. With Bowey, we don't even need to focus on a defensman in the draft. We can go for best player available. Future core.

Forwards

1. Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen
  2. Shinkaruk - McCann - Boeser
  3. Gaunce - Cassels/Vey - Etem

Defence

1. Hutton - Bowey
  2. Brisebois - Subban

Goaltending

1. Markstrom
  2. Demko

Honestly, thats a fantastic, and balanced very well built all around group of young guys with talent, work ethic, and ability. That's a good future core.. real good.

4 minutes ago, billabong said:

I really doubt if the caps will give up bowey for hammer

coming off an injury, hammer is most likely worth a 2nd rounder and mid level prospect which would be awesome 

A second rounder from Washington would be incredibly low. Most likely 55-60-. That's essentially a high 3rd rd pick.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Hamhuis plus Brisebois...? Though I might want a mid/late pick coming back then. 

Gives them a decent replacement D prospect. 

Sorry bud, Saying no to that.

Giving a team exactly what they need to try to win it all should not include piling on pieces.

Something more like Hamhuis and a 5th for Bowey and a 2nd or 3rd would be more realistic but us piling on just doesn't sit well with me

Can't see Hamhuis balking at this idea, it might be his only chance to lift a Stanley Cup.

I really think the Caps are confident they can win a Cup this year too...Benning needs to sell Hamhuis' stability and that fact that he will be relatively fresh considering all the time he has missed rehabbing that freak injury.

The Caps need more defensive help to lift them over the top and compete with LA or Chicago....if Benning plays his cards right, he might be able to get something impactful out of this deal.

This is another deal that has realistic chance of happening better than 55-45 odds off the top .If we could latch Bowey on comming back + third. an throw in one prostect D like Subban going over an them giving a 2nd for Hamhuise it might balance out an work for both teams. If caps win cup a first for for Hamhuis.? not sure if could drive the swap but even if only Hamuis is packaged it could work out well for Caps.

Archived