The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] - Caps interested in Hamhuis

Mackcanuck

5 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Another thing to remember is with a facial injury, Hamhuis should have been able to work out normally. It's not like he's been out with a sprain/break/etc. that would affect his ability to stay in peak shape.

Even still, if there's truth to the Caps being interested, they're gonna wanna see him in action before they part with much to get him. One of their D is out with a leg injury so he's probably done for the year even after he heals. And it's not like the Caps need Hammer to make the post season so if they do go for it, this is definitely a Feb 29th trade and no sooner. Hopefully Hammer comes back and looks good.

12 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Sorry bud, Saying no to that.

Giving a team exactly what they need to try to win it all should not include piling on pieces.

Something more like Hamhuis and a 5th for Bowey and a 2nd or 3rd would be more realistic but us piling on just doesn't sit well with me

Funny. In what world does adding a mid level D from the Q in Brisebois to a player coming off of major injury in his contract year constitute "piling on the pieces"

I'm all for getting more if we can, but if WSH offered that deal and JB turned down it would only be because JB thinks higher of Brisebois than he does Bowey, which, all due respect to Brisebois, is ridiculous at this point in time.

Gotta stop adding pieces people.

A proper trade would shake down like

Hamhuis + 5th

Bowey + 2nd/3rd

Or comparably

Hamhuis salary retained

Bowey + Bad contract with term.

Hamhuis + prospects doesn't really propel us forward the way we need, and I watched Bowey play for 2 seasons in kelowna and salivate over having a BC developed kid from the Rockets on our blue line for the next decade

1 minute ago, Green Building said:

Funny. In what world does adding a mid level D from the Q in Brisebois to a player coming off of major injury in his contract year constitute "piling on the pieces"

I'm all for getting more if we can, but if WSH offered that deal and JB turned down it would only be because JB thinks higher of Brisebois than he does Bowey, which, all due respect to Brisebois, is ridiculous at this point in time.

Again, giving up pieces for pieces in an attempt to simply get 1 piece back is a sideways move at best.

Washington NEEDS D, we don't NEED to give up pieces to make them better.  In what world is selling a starving man burger and then giving him free fries and a desert sound business sense?

For the record, apparently the Devils are now possibly looking for top 6 scoring depth after their surprising run in hpes to start getting healthy players back before the playoffs.

Could we have another player for Vrbata?

Shero caught in limbo 

The New Jersey Devils are having a surprising season and, forcing GM Ray Shero to decide between short-term success versus his original long-term plan, according to Tom Gulitti of The Bergen Record.

Sitting fifth in the Metropolitan Division with a 25-20-5 record and battling with the Pittsburgh Penguins for the second wild-card spot in the East, it would make sense for Shero to add some pieces to the Devils at the deadline.

But at what cost? Shero has publicly stated his intention to not trade for rental players on expiring contracts that would cost pieces for the future and it doesn't seem he would budge on that idea.

Trading for a top-six forward, which would certainly help the team's scoring needs and help get them get over the hump, isn't all that easy to do at this time of the season. 

With his team shattering predictions of finishing at the bottom of the conference and currently sitting on the playoff bubble, Shero may have to get crafty to make his squad playoff calibre.

Pouliot, Dumoulin, Bowey, Connor Carrick - Wash and Pitt have some young D worth looking at.

I'd be happy to poach any of them - particularly considering this really is just a rental.

Hammer pulls the Vermette end around -  is right back here on July 1st.

Just now, Warhippy said:

Gotta stop adding pieces people.

A proper trade would shake down like

Hamhuis + 5th

Bowey + 2nd/3rd

Or comparably

Hamhuis salary retained

Bowey + Bad contract with term.

Hamhuis + prospects doesn't really propel us forward the way we need, and I watched Bowey play for 2 seasons in kelowna and salivate over having a BC developed kid from the Rockets on our blue line for the next decade

It wouldn't work Hammer is a rental.  He's so much a rental that caps wouldn't even attempt to sign him next year as they don't have the cap space to do so with their upcoming young RFA. 

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Again, giving up pieces for pieces in an attempt to simply get 1 piece back is a sideways move at best.

Washington NEEDS D, we don't NEED to give up pieces to make them better.  In what world is selling a starving man burger and then giving him free fries and a desert sound business sense?

Hamhuis isn't the only Hamburger on the market.  Just because he's a person is hungry doesn't mean they will throw 100$ at the first restaurant they stop at.  Not when across the street they can pay $10.  Bowey is a future piece,  Hammer is a 30-50 day piece.  If Caps were willing to trade Bowey they'd be getting a way bigger return.

Just now, Warhippy said:

Gotcha. You think we're doing this to help them instead of us.

Moving Hammer, the only Canuck D jersey I ever bought, for a future possible star would net be done to help out the Caps. It's done to get us a young piece. Is there risk that Brisebois becomes better than Bowey over the next 5-10 years? Sure. Right now though I take Bowey if he's offered for Hammer and a prospect and I'm not even worried.

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

It wouldn't work Hammer is a rental.  He's so much a rental that caps wouldn't even attempt to sign him next year as they don't have the cap space to do so with their upcoming young RFA. 

Hamhuis isn't the only Hamburger on the market.  Just because he's a person is hungry doesn't mean they will throw 100$ at the first restaurant they stop at.  Not when across the street they can pay $10.  Bowey is a future piece,  Hammer is a 30-50 day piece.  If Caps were willing to trade Bowey they'd be getting a way bigger return.

Yandle, Hamhuis, Byfuglien, Shattenkirk.

The market is pretty bare really and you know that those other 3 names are going to demand a damn site more than Bowey.  You're also forgetting the Hamhuis/Trotz factor as well as that wonderful salary retention factor without mentioning or pairing that fact with a big bad contract giving Washington the ability to further add pieces to a cup run.

Again while he might not be the only burger on the market, we have more than enough ways to make it attractive without coughing up extra pieces and doing it far cheaper than any of the other aforementioned available D would cost

3 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Gotcha. You think we're doing this to help them instead of us.

Moving Hammer, the only Canuck D jersey I ever bought, for a future possible star would net be done to help out the Caps. It's done to get us a young piece. Is there risk that Brisebois becomes better than Bowey over the next 5-10 years? Sure. Right now though I take Bowey if he's offered for Hammer and a prospect and I'm not even worried.

If that was the deal I wouldn't whinge about it, but I just don't see how that is effective for us.  I love Bowey don't get me wrong, but sideways movements for incremental steps forward don't seem like Bennings style (I say knowing Benning has done just that numerous times in his tenure in vancouver already)

29 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

IMO the only way Bowey comes is if the Canucks ate the Laich contract. Which might be worth it, since it's only for next season, but would pose a problem come UFA time. 

It would be worth it for me, since I'm not particularly interested in signing UFAs....

The problem with your theory as I see it, is the Caps are trying to win right now and I don't see them parting with a proven veteran like Brooks Laich. IMHO, if they acquire a defender to fill Orpik's spot, they will send picks/prospects the other way.

23 minutes ago, Fozzy said:

People think we'll get Bowey for Hamhuis :blink:

Stranger things have happened. Look what the Rags gave up to get Yandle...

23 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Another thing to remember is with a facial injury, Hamhuis should have been able to work out normally. It's not like he's been out with a sprain/break/etc. that would affect his ability to stay in peak shape.

exactly what i was thinking ..  its not like he has a problem with his a.c.l ..       this doesn't diminish his value at all 

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

If that was the deal I wouldn't whinge about it, but I just don't see how that is effective for us.  I love Bowey don't get me wrong, but sideways movements for incremental steps forward don't seem like Bennings style (I say knowing Benning has done just that numerous times in his tenure in vancouver already)

I don't think we should be moving out our young D either, but Hammer is aging, and at this point Bowey > Brisebois so I see it as a win win.

If WSH would be happy with a forward prospect instead of a D prospect, well that would be groovy.

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Yandle, Hamhuis, Byfuglien, Shattenkirk.

The market is pretty bare really and you know that those other 3 names are going to demand a damn site more than Bowey.  You're also forgetting the Hamhuis/Trotz factor as well as that wonderful salary retention factor without mentioning or pairing that fact with a big bad contract giving Washington the ability to further add pieces to a cup run.

Again while he might not be the only burger on the market, we have more than enough ways to make it attractive without coughing up extra pieces and doing it far cheaper than any of the other aforementioned available D would cost

Caps are looking for left handed depth, like when they went out and picked up Gleason last year.  Orpik Alzner and Smchidt on the left side. Chorney has done a decent jobs filling in..  They really are only looking for an upgrade for there bottom pairing D, someone to play with Orlov.  Why would they trade their top D prospect + a pick when they could have him for less.  Canucks need to move Hamhuis just as bad as Caps need to upgrade.  We need to get something in return.  They aren't going to through a huge future piece for a player they don't even want next year.  Teams aren't that stupid that they'd throw all their eggs in one basket.  Too much risk of them still not winning the cup and then being out Hamhuis and their top D prospect, only to find out Orlov's RFA asking price is through the roof.  Not smart business.  

Bowey is a A+ prospect.  Caps won't be moving him back without some future peice coming back and they dont' have any need for our forwards..  

PS those other three names are not on the same level as hammer.

Archived