The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Report: NHL locks up Gary Bettman through 2021-22

Mackcanuck

Bad news for Gary Bettman’s haters: it doesn’t sound like he’s hanging up the loafers anytime soon.

The NHL signed its commissioner to new contract that goes through the 2021-22 season,according to Sports Illustrated’s Michael Farber. In case you’re wondering about the timing, that deal runs through the league’scurrent Collective Bargaining Agreementwith the NHLPA.

Farber didn’t specify the financial terms, so we can only imagine if his “cap hit” exceeds that of the $10.5 million pulled in by Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane. (There’s a decent chance,as it was last reported at $9.6 million.)

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/01/31/report-nhl-locks-up-gary-bettman-through-2021-22/

I don't know why anyone would be surprised, after all, owners are doing quite well under the CBA, and with record revenue the last few seasons and current monies only being marred by a poor Canadian dollar there is no reason for them not to extend him.

Now Gary, how about fixing the DOPS, and keeping your sorry ass out of Vegas.

I don't understand the Bettman hate at all. What he's done for the NHL is remarkable; the revenue has gone up from $400 million to $3 300 million (that's almost ten times as much in a little more than 20 years). The avrage salary of an NHL player in 1992 was $0.236, today it's $3.82 million (more than 15 times more!)

The league has also expanded eight times to non traditional hockey markets and almost all teams are making profit. Say what you want about the lockouts, but the owners have won all of them. 

I really don't understand why anyone would think that the owners aren't compleatly satisfied with the work that Bettman has done. 

53 minutes ago, Riviera82 said:

Hmmm, so I guess the cup drought in Canada is guaranteed to reach thirty years now.

Blame the Canadian teams, it's not Bettman's fault.

I am Jack's total lack of surprise...the NHL has earned record profits under Bettman's watch. The NHL is not sports, it is professional sports, and anytime the word "pro" comes first it's about one thing: the money, Lebowski. Frankly, if he NHL didn't re-sign him I'd have to question their business acumen.

1 hour ago, hatedkid666 said:

This remark is a bit disingenuous, hockey has been a harder sell in the US than the other three 'big leagues'

Of course I would understand all sports have 'record revenues'....inflation over time pretty much guarantees this.

Bettman has orchestrated some massive TV deals.

Before Bettman: National US TV broadcast revenue: 5.5 million

Bettman's first US TV contract with Fox, a mere 4 years later: $155 million.

Current TV revenue: US (NBC) ~2 BILLION (USD), Canada (Rogers) 5.2 BILLION.(CAD)

The NHL enjoys ~ $5 billion (USD)in TV revenue, beginning with that very first deal with Fox that NHL owners thought would be impossible to achieve.

The guy does what he is hired to do, and that's to broker deals and sell the sport. It's a hard sport to sell, especially in the Southern US, where there isn't a ton of snow/ice all the time, and many people don't have the money and facilities to buy their kids the plethora of equipment to play organized minor hockey. It's not like baseball, football or basketball, where you basically just need a ball and/or a bat to play.

1 hour ago, The Game said:

I don't understand the Bettman hate at all. What he's done for the NHL is remarkable; the revenue has gone up from $400 million to $3 300 million (that's almost ten times as much in a little more than 20 years). The avrage salary of an NHL player in 1992 was $0.236, today it's $3.82 million (more than 15 times more!)

The league has also expanded eight times to non traditional hockey markets and almost all teams are making profit. Say what you want about the lockouts, but the owners have won all of them. 

I really don't understand why anyone would think that the owners aren't compleatly satisfied with the work that Bettman has done. 

• Multiple lockeouts
  • Terrible officiating with zero accoutability
  • Insisting on continuing a failed expiriment in Arizona while moving Canadian teams at the drop of a hat
  • Glowing pucks on national TV
  • Continuing to employ Colin Campbell despite the conflict of influence and proven corruption

Archived