The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] It Sounds Like Hamhuis Would Be On Board For Whatever The Team Wants

Boddy604

22 minutes ago, Cpt.Clutch said:

I thought he wouldn't be able to resign here if traded.   If  a player is traded at the deadline on an expiring contract, I believe the rules state he cannot resign with the team that traded him, thereby closing a loophole for teams wanting to build quick assests but keep their star veterans.

You are thinking of Compliance Buyouts where teams who bought out players were then not allowed to reacquire them via signing or trade or probably even waiver claim, until I believe the end of the bought out contract. So if the contract you bought out had 5 years remaining, then you couldn't reacquire that player for 5 years. Because Cap Circumvention rules. Anyways, I think you are thinking of ^

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

Sounds more like he was referring to what will happen after the season. Whether he will re-sign with the Canucks or not. 

Yes, this, absolutely.  Those that say that anywhere in this interview Hamhuis said anything that suggested he's fine with whatever the team wants and would waive his ntc should read his words again.  They don't say that.  They don't even imply that. 

He might waive.  He might not.  He didn't say anything about it either way in that interview.

54 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

He's no dummy, he sees what's happening.  Like Bieksa before him, he knows the situation and will agree to be moved if they ask him, especially since it will probably be to a contender.  Even then, he is a UFA and can sign with whoever he wants post-season.

Being no dummy, he'll realize that:

(a) Bieksa wasn't faced with being away from his family for the rest of the season. while that is exactly what people are suggested be asked of Hamhuis;

(b) Bieksa wasn't in the position where he'd shortly be an UFA, while Hamhuis is and by staying put, not uprooting or being away from his family for the short time remaining on the season, he's in a position to go wherever the best situation for him is.

Again, I'm not saying he will or won't waive, but his situation is different from Bieksa's was.

25 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Mmm, trying my best not to get excited for the deadline but all the possible juicy trade combinations are making me salivate.

I think it's almost impossible that Benning doesn't land us something substantial (be it a nice pick in the draft, somebody making a real impact or showing real promise instead of signs of bust-ing, or a highly touted young player [preferably on D or with 1st line potential], or a handful of quality pieces).

The question is what, and at what cost?

I trust Benning, and I think the fan-base will be happy (we've waiting patiently for some real shakeups and now it is time). But I sure hope he capitalizes on this moment because our team needs a new identity.

I get the gut feeling, being that Benning is a scouting guy, that his main target is a draft-elligible player. I just hope to christ it's one of those Finns or the draft's top Dman.

Or.... if he wants to make the absolute top headline story on Sportscentre / make a name for himself, he'll go after Mathews. Again, all depends on what it takes to accomplish, but it's going to be freakin fun to see how it plays out. There might be a TON of flipping going on too between now and the draft - remember Boston last year getting Jones and flipping him for a first (or who could forgot the dealing Burkie made to get the Twins in their draft)? Trader Jim might have to package things together and flip pieces to get what he wants/what we need.

Hammer deserves to take a run at the Stanley Cup, that won't happen here before he retires.  I wish him well; even if he wants to re-sign here in the off season just to dump him yet again at the trade deadline for another playoff contender.

2 hours ago, billabong said:

That's a guy who wants to win now considering his age without saying it outright and if I was him I'd be saying the same thing. 

And he cant re-sign here, it would be burying pedan or any other training camp surprise 

I'm assuming they're gonna re-sign Bart and biega or sign a free agent that fills in bigger needs at least 

edler-tanev

Sbisa-xxxxx

hutton-bart

pedan-biega

Don't re-sign Bart.  Canucks carry 8dmen like this season...

Edler  Demers  (offense)

Hamhuis  Tanev  (shutdown)

Hutton  Sbisa

Pedan Biega

27 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Don't re-sign Bart.  Canucks carry 8dmen like this season...

Edler  Demers  (offense)

Hamhuis  Tanev  (shutdown)

Hutton  Sbisa

Pedan Biega

I'd take Bart over hamhuis because he'll come cheaper, younger and most of all he can play the right side

5 minutes ago, billabong said:

I'd take Bart over hamhuis because he'll come cheaper, younger and most of all he can play the right side

Point taken.  The team will need another top 4 guy, who will likely cost around the Hamhuis $.  Bart is hardly a replacement and I don't know if Hutton will be ready to step up.  Ima, they have to bring in a UFA that can move the puck and q-back the pp (which is why I put Demers in the lineup). 

1st and 2nd round picks is fine by me. 

then trade Vrbata + Weber for Juulsen. 

Bartkowski to a playoff team for a 5th/6th round pick.

Tank for Laine or Puljuaarvi. 

D.Sedin - H.Sedin - Hansen

Beartschi - Horvat - Puljuaarvi/Laine

Shinkaruk - Sutter - Burrows

Gaunce - McCann - Virtanen

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Sbisa

Pedan - Biega

winnninnggg

20 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

1st and 2nd round picks is fine by me. 

then trade Vrbata + Weber for Juulsen. 

Bartkowski to a playoff team for a 5th/6th round pick.

Tank for Laine or Puljuaarvi. 

D.Sedin - H.Sedin - Hansen

Beartschi - Horvat - Puljuaarvi/Laine

Shinkaruk - Sutter - Burrows

Gaunce - McCann - Virtanen

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Sbisa

Pedan - Biega

winnninnggg

Montreal only has 1 more point than Vancouver.  Vrbata isn't exactly the missing piece to get them into the playoffs and Weber wouldn't even be close to cracking their top 8.  Not to mention Weber was essentially cut from Montreal when they chose not to qualify him.   No chance they trade Juulsen for that.  I doubt Hamhuis gets a 1st and a second either

Archived