The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PayPal Scam?

DontTouchMeGuys

I'm selling a brand new iphone 6s 16 g on craigslist.

I get an email from an individual with two names. George Franklin in his signature and some African name in his email address.

He said he'll buy the phone for 1100$ via paypal, and my instructions are to send the package to somewhere in china.

He has already transferred the money to my paypal account.... But I have NOT accepted the funds yet.

I find it odd that he's willing to take a risk like this so quickly. I fully intend to ship the item. But can things go wrong at this point? Once I accept the funds is there a way for him to get it back? or flag my account? or something like that?

yep, it's called money laundering. Even if the funds are there, they almost certainly came from a suspicious source who will then get the phone and sell it for actual clean money... you definitely don't want your name anywhere near this if it ever gets investigated!

scam:  Paypal buyers can claim the product never arrived and get money back. You need to send to a confirmed address and do so via signature on delivery mail.

Edit: Even then, the buyer can still be a scammer. Can claim item arrived damaged or just an empty box full of rocks came.

Also ask yourself why anyone would pay $1100 for an IPhone from a random person. If you had that kind of cash to spend on a phone, you'd buy one directly from the manufacturer and not take the risk.  The 16gb 6s is only $899 plus tax new from the website. And why is someone from China searching our craigslist? 

Sell it locally. Take cash. The phone is probably worth about $750-$800.

10 minutes ago, taxi said:

Also ask yourself why anyone would pay $1100 for an IPhone from a random person. If you had that kind of cash to spend on a phone, you'd buy one directly from the manufacturer and not take the risk.  The 16gb 6s is only $899 plus tax new from the website. And why is someone from China searching our craigslist? 

Sell it locally. Take cash. The phone is probably worth about $750-$800.

thats pretty much the first thing i asked myself, why wouldnt he just get it locally.

22 minutes ago, Neversummer said:

What if you took their money and not send him the phone? ...

Will these guy chase you down and go to authorities knowing that his money is dirty?    Or do they have thugs in every major city who goes after people if they don't follow through?

They just ask for a paypal refund, and then they get their money refunded. People who are pulling lowly and heaty scams are not connected to gangs of thugs for hire.

1 hour ago, taxi said:

scam:  Paypal buyers can claim the product never arrived and get money back. You need to send to a confirmed address and do so via signature on delivery mail.

Edit: Even then, the buyer can still be a scammer. Can claim item arrived damaged or just an empty box full of rocks came.

Or even worse, a copy of Hot Tub Time Machine 2

Archived