The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Brandon Prust Clears Waivers

canucks411

5 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

Essentially we lost a 5th for nothing. It may be his worst trade but still not a bad one.

I wouldn't say nothing, he played several NHL games this year which is something.

If Prust clears, Then Cap squeezed teams, which would include just about every contending team, could trade a 4th or higher pick for him keep him in the minors until playoff time when no cap counts and bring him in for a long playoff run, if he is claimed then we shed Cap and when selling guys like Hammer or Burrows at the deadline we will have some ability to absorb some $

Yes, it has cost some picks and prospects with player movement over the past two years. IMO the big take away is the JB/TL message to the Canuck roster and the NHL GM's that the Canucks are open for business and are willing to deal. These have every potential of setting up moves for trading vets that have more value.

It is time to 'tank' which means selling certain assets to make room for Utica talent and to gather draft picks and prospects for a younger team. It is years late but JB/TL have done a great job conditioning players and fans to change.

Just now, Maniwaki Canuck said:

The 5th isn't going to hurt as much as Kassian.  And yes, it was an absolutely terrible trade.

Um. K. If Kassian had had his incident here, we would have said, "Oh gosh JB, you should have traded him. You suck at GMing."

2 minutes ago, TheOgRook said:

Now you are talking hindsight..and Kass has yet to fully redeem himself.  Are you forgetting the 5:00am meeting with the tree Kassian had just after we traded him or what?  

Not at all.  But I'm willing to bet that going forward, Kassian (let alone Kassian and the 5th) make a bigger contribution at the NHL level than Prust. 

6 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

The 5th isn't going to hurt as much as Kassian.  And yes, it was an absolutely terrible trade.

Whatever you say there, Captain Hindsight.  Kassian had to go and Prust was a good pickup at the time and early in the season before injury.

No doubt Benning tried to move him, but like with Higgins there are no takers right now.  These stories aren't over -- both may very well get moved.  In the meantime, we have another $950K in pro-rated capspace freed up.

1 minute ago, thejazz97 said:

Um. K. If Kassian had had his incident here, we would have said, "Oh gosh JB, you should have traded him. You suck at GMing."

But....it's an absolutely horrible trade that will cripple the team for years to come, don't cha know?

1 minute ago, thejazz97 said:

Luckily I actually have a track record on Kassian and was on record at the time and afterwards as hating the trade.  I've always supported him as a player and still do. 

The real trade was lost when we traded Hodgson for Kassian. If we had traded for any other player we'd probably still have them.

Both players ended up on waivers so it's no real loss. I'm not gonna lose sleep over a 5th round pick.

Prust deserves to be on waivers. He had little value to this team or any other team the way he was playing. I'm sure Montreal took a look at him and passed.

1 minute ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Not at all.  But I'm willing to bet that going forward, Kassian (let alone Kassian and the 5th) make a bigger contribution at the NHL level than Prust. 

People pay a heck of a lot more for useless rentals.  That's all he was was that.. A rental.  Here, let me break it down for you even further..  He was an insurance policy n all of our kids.. If somebody didn't step up, we had a vet to fill in so the kids didn't lose development time. A 5th and a problem child are well worth that! Keep in mind I'm a kassian fan pulling for him but also a business man :)

14 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

We could have gotten atleast a pick for Prust..  JB doesn't know how to manage assets worth ****

While I may agree e doesn't always get value, I'd have to think he was asking for pretty much anything at this point. Maybe someone offers closer to the deadline, but clearly he couldn't get anything now (or had to take something back he didn't want).

1 minute ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

They very well may, but was it going to happen here? Not sure why I'm bothering to reply as this subject has been hashed over a thousand times on CDC, but people knocking the Kassian trade is my personal pet peeve. The Canucks offered him help and it wasn't working here. Nothing was getting into his head and it took another trade before a light bulb maybe went off in his head. I was always a fan of his and wanted it to work here, but it simply wasn't going to. The Habs moved him for essentially nothing just so they could get rid of him, so if anything they've lost this trade. If we can turn Prust into any sort of pick this trade is pretty much a wash.

7 minutes ago, Chalky said:

So instead of helping Kassian when he needed it, we traded for Prust and gave up a pick in a deep draft.  So now we have no Prust, no 2016 5th and no Kassian.  Well done JB.  That one didn't pan out, try to do better at the deadline please.  

He did help Kassian, or try to.  He went to rehab atleast once while a Canuck.  Then he gave him a second chance by trading him to a new team for a fresh start while bringing in someone who was said to be a character guy.  Prust has no one to blame but himself.  Look at what Chicago has done with the Patrick Sharp return, if you bring in a player and it's not working out then why keep him around?

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Whatever you say there, Captain Hindsight.  Kassian had to go and Prust was a good pickup at the time and early in the season before injury.

No doubt Benning tried to move him, but like with Higgins there are no takers right now.  These stories aren't over -- both may very well get moved.  In the meantime, we have another $950K in pro-rated capspace freed up.

No hindsight about it:  I always hated the trade so I don't mind gloating a bit when all the "character" crap about Prust is revealed for the waiver-wire fare that it is.  I do agree that there are no takers on Prust, but think that supports my position a whole lot better than yours.

Archived