The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Brandon Prust Clears Waivers

canucks411

5 hours ago, J.R. said:

Hate to say it but he's far more likely of a buyout candidate... 

Burrows deserves every dollar of the 4.5M cap hit hes got. What he did for our team for i believe 2M? Was incredible. Him "slaying the dragon" was an incredible moment and lead to one of our most memerable seasons. Id love to keep Burrows around until he retires. Just at a lower cap hit after this contract expires. He is the most flexable player we have, he can legit play in any role for this team other than defence or goaltending.

I was too young to remember the Bure days so there will be questions about my top favourite Canuck players from you older, more experienced Canuck fans. My top 10 (11) would have to go:

Luongo

Linden

Sedin X2

Naslund

Bieksa

Burrows

Bertuzzi

Salo

Horvat

Kesler

I know Horvat is fairly new but its hard not to put him on my list. He is my favourite prospect and I am looking forward to H. Sedin handing him the "C" in a few years. Not much of a fan of Kesler after the way things went down but he was once my favourite player, and lets be honest here, him and Luongo are the main reasons we had that 2011 run. So its hard to leave him off of the list

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

IF, you can find a trade partner. And I don't know, they might take the extra $750k of cap next year with the buy out.

Don't fool yourself. If burrows was Ufa on July 1st his agent could net him a 2.25mil x 3 year deal in a heartbeat. Burrows at 2.25mil on a 1 year is a great chip.

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

Don't fool yourself. If burrows was Ufa on July 1st his agent could net him a 2.25mil x 3 year deal in a heartbeat. Burrows at 2.25mil on a 1 year is a great chip.

I don't think so.  Burr is pretty much done.  Sad but need to accept he just has trouble consistently keeping up.

4 hours ago, J.R. said:

Uh huh...sure. 

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

LoI don't think so.  Burr is pretty much done.  Sad but need to accept he just has trouble consistently keeping up.

Burrows at 4.5 is too much but burrows at 2.25 is great! The guy had 18 goals and 33 points lat year away from the twins, other teams hate playing against him and is an elite penalty killer. You guys are hilarious. 

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I don't think so.  Burr is pretty much done.  Sad but need to accept he just has trouble consistently keeping up.

Burr has always been a rather spastic skater.

Zebras seem to think he's embellishing, when he's really just flailing around because he's got a spastic-skating style. He does have humongous heart, tho. 

4 hours ago, J.R. said:

Uh huh...sure. 

Steve ott signed a 2 year @ 2.6 mil deal last summer. That was after a 9 goal, 23 point -38 season

Boyd Gordon signed a 3 year @ 3 mil a few years ago. That after a putting up 14 points in 48 games.

Matt Hendricks signed a 4 year @ 1.85mil after a 8 point -6 season

Brad richardson signed a 3 year @ 2.1mil after playing on the 4th line his whole career.

These players play the same kind of game as burrows but with less offense.

These are off the top of my head. I could go on and on but you get the point (maybe not).

We have a ton of cap space for next year. Why not get a UFA d-man, let burrows play out the year (or trade him @ half salary) and then sign another big UFA with the 10.5 we get from miller/burrows?

Instead of having 10.5 that year you would only have 9 because you foolishly bought burrows out and missed out on the assets he could garner.

6 hours ago, viking mama said:

Burr has always been a rather spastic skater.

Zebras seem to think he's embellishing, when he's really just flailing around because he's got a spastic-skating style. He does have humongous heart, tho. 

Yup.  Love Burr's compete.  But guys get old.  Linden competes hard too.  Burr will compete hard in his next job too, what ever that will be - just not in the NHL. 

8 hours ago, coryberg said:

Steve ott signed a 2 year @ 2.6 mil deal last summer. That was after a 9 goal, 23 point -38 season

Boyd Gordon signed a 3 year @ 3 mil a few years ago. That after a putting up 14 points in 48 games.

Matt Hendricks signed a 4 year @ 1.85mil after a 8 point -6 season

Brad richardson signed a 3 year @ 2.1mil after playing on the 4th line his whole career.

These players play the same kind of game as burrows but with less offense.

These are off the top of my head. I could go on and on but you get the point (maybe not).

We have a ton of cap space for next year. Why not get a UFA d-man, let burrows play out the year (or trade him @ half salary) and then sign another big UFA with the 10.5 we get from miller/burrows?

Instead of having 10.5 that year you would only have 9 because you foolishly bought burrows out and missed out on the assets he could garner.

In case you haven't noticed guys like that are slowly but surely getting squeezed out of the league or being forced to play for closer to $1m-$1.5m... maybe $2m if they bring a LOT of intangibles and/or are closer to late 20's/early 30's. Just to stay in the NHL rather than head to Euro leagues.  

See: Higgins, Chris. Can't sell that guy even at 50% off.

Especially when they're on the wrong side of 30 and clearly slowing down. GM's will simply give those spots to younger guys on ELC's with more upside, speed etc.

We couldn't find takers for Higgins at $1.25m, I'm not sure who you think is going to take Burrows at nearly twice that. Sure he's better but he's not THAT much better anymore.

I get it, I love Burr too. If I ever meet him I'd give him a huge hug and buy him a beer. The guy is amazing and I hope he retires in to a coaching etc job within the Canucks org because I want that guy around our younger players. But as a hockey player, he's not worth $4.5m nor do we even have roster space available for him next season. He's not likely worth $2.25m to another team either though by all means we should collectively cross our fingers.

On ‎4‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 8:38 AM, J.R. said:

That mirrors my thinking as well. I honestly don't mind either scenario. Still, he's not cheap to be playing in your bottom 6...

Then there's the underlined. It's getting awfully crowded without even adding a UFA winger (Okposo, Boedker, Lucic etc)...

Sedin, Sedin, Sutter
Baer, Horvat, Hansen
Shink/McCann, Vey, Etem
Gaunce/Virtanen, Zalewski, Dorsett

Grenier, Kenins

Already two of Shink, McCann, Gaunce or Virtanen will be in Utica despite arguably being good enough to be up on the Canucks (and with more upside than Burr at this point, short of the aforementioned leadership). Unless we're only carrying one spare D, one of Grenier/Kenins will also either be traded or risked on waivers. 

And still, no room for Burrows...

Add in a UFA and...

Maybe its (Finally?) the point in time where we can start to make hockey trades, at least one?

Forward prospect for D prospect...

Related argument. The BPA argument has merit. But teams seem to hold on to their D prospects more zealously? Will we get what we need in D prospects on the market? Or will we have to start drafting them...

Archived