The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Where would Kassian have fit in this rebuild?

Sedin Brothers

I have been a big-time Benning believe, and loved him trading away Lack, while picking up Prust (originally) because I thought he would have made a difference for our team character-wise. Obviously that blew up in our face.

So it seems like we lost the Prust-Kassian trade (although Montreal lost as well). Thinking about the Sedin's talking about how much they liked playing with Zack it had me thinking about what if he got the opportunity to play on the first line this year with all the young guns. We all know success changes the way a player plays, and if he took that first line spot with the Sedin's I have little doubt he would have clicked.

I think this would have been the year to give him a shot to break out of that hold that's been stopping him from reaching his true potential. Hansen has had great looks with the Sedin's and Vrbata looked great with them last year.

I understand he's not on the team, but I just wanted to see others opinion of how he would have been used this year. Prust obviously has a limited time here.

I'm happy Kassian is getting better, but I'm sorry, I don't think he would have changed at all if he stayed here.

We tried for years to try and help him but he obviously refused to change. I don't think he would've had a future here at all because he would've just fizzled out and his problems would have gotten worse.

I don't think Kassian becomes a regular NHL player if he stays here. Now he might have a chance though.

If he was still here, management would still be trying to remake him into the classic power forward, which he is not.  So they'd be sitting him out for lesser players like they did last year.  Much as I regret the way his time here went down and the terrible trade that got rid of him, there was a fundamental disconnect between his view of himself as a player and management's.  That's why I can't think of him as part of the rebuild here and think it's best that he moved on. 

As much as I hated the Kassian deal when it happened,Benning did the right thing...Kassian was obviously living a double life while a Canuck,and was obviously not clean in Montreal either....It took a rendezvous with a tree at 6am,as a wake up call to himself, that he was ruining his life and career.

I'm rooting for Kassian,but I can definitely see why Benning and Bergevin wanted him out of their organizations

32 minutes ago, Senpai said:

I'm happy Kassian is getting better, but I'm sorry, I don't think he would have changed at all if he stayed here.

We tried for years to try and help him but he obviously refused to change. I don't think he would've had a future here at all because he would've just fizzled out and his problems would have gotten worse.

I don't think Kassian becomes a regular NHL player if he stays here. Now he might have a chance though.

Couldn't have said it better myself. This is likely a problem that has been existed for some time. Or at least not recent/recent before the trade. All arouns the league, Kassian was known as a guy that had all the tools but couldn't put it together. Despite multiple coaches giving him chances in different situations, and even playing alongside the sedins, two guys known for being some of the most high character guys in the league, couldn't put it together. Most likely it would have been more of the same until an even bigger problem happened, such as him being in a car accident with a minor, as did happen in Montreal.

In the meantime, he would need to be "babysat" by guys like Dorsett instead of him focusing on playing. Theres a reason Dorsett sent Jim Benning a message saying "thank you" when Kassian was traded. Kassian would have most likely stayed on the track he was at, not getting better, and dragging down the guys around him. And it sends an even worse message to the youth to tolerate him while he's acting a fool, and promoting him to top minutes etc. You have to send the message to the young guys, you have to be committed on and off the ice, and your focus has to be on becoming a better player.

If you think about it. Theres a reason why we had to basically pay montreal a 5th round pick, to take a 22 year old powerforward with top 6 potential. Normally Prust for Kassian and a 5th would make you a joke around the league. That's because NOBODY wanted him with his issues. Kassian being moved to Montreal, and not even being able to play a game due to his substance abuse may honestly be the best thing that happened to him as it can hopfeully be the thing, and event that made him realie he has to turn his life around. How do you go from promising NHL player, to in rehab unlikely to find a job again? It's tough to come to grips with, and hopfeully it helps him out.

Too many fans get their knickers in a knot over players that have left the Canucks and gone on to little to no success elsewhere. There hasn't been a major blunder in years. It's not like this team has traded a top 6 forward or a top 4 D away.

Just now, RonMexico said:

Too many fans get their knickers in a knot over players that have left the Canucks and gone on to little to no success elsewhere. There hasn't been a major blunder in years. It's not like this team has traded a top 6 forward or a top 4 D away.

agreed.

the fanboys have no idea the lengths the team went to behind the scenes babysitting Zack and his "party" problems and after 3 years they had to cut bait. 

#InBenningWeTrust

went in to oiler,s kassian thread 3/4 of poster,s like what their seeing one poster went as far to say he was the best oiler in the dallas game a few poster,s said they hate him no matter what he does. now i have to have a bath , got that dirty greasy feeling.

Archived