The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Making the playoffs this season...A good thing?

Kanucklehead10

Considering what position our team is in after 50 games, would you?  

111 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

At a 20-19-11 record with 51 points, the Canucks are sitting 5th (3rd to last) in the weakest division in the NHL with 50 games played.  

This team has already shown us their quality this year and to no one's surprise, we have been doing horribly. We have a downgraded team from last year in terms of points, we have aging vets, very inconsistent play, continuous injury problems (one player is healed, another gets injured right after)...etc.

For the sake of this team's future, especially considering the situation we are in this year, is it a good idea to try and compete for playoffs, or should management try to trade away our aging players, let the kids pay and cement our place for the best draft position we can get?

There's lots of speculation that down these next few weeks, management might try to add some rental players if the progress of the team is going well, but at what expense? Would you really be willing to give up draft picks and potentially even prospects? Even if we manage to get a wildcard spot, the chances are high that we would most likely have to face the LA Kings, which I believe we would easily lose to.

So is it worth it to fail in the 1st or 2nd round (if we're lucky) and get a mid to low draft pick and keep on being a middle of the pack team? Or would you allow more space for the young players to play for a mere 32 more games to get a homerun pick that can really alter this team's successes in the future?  

No easy answer to this question. There are pros and cons to just about any decision. My personal opinion would be to have the current team just do their best, as professional athletes should. I would still like to see some return for Vrbata, as I don't see any scenario that he would return next year. Ditto Weber, and to a lesser extent Bartkowski and Cracknell. But, the speculation of adding a rental player...please NO, NO and NO!!!! We have given up plenty of picks over the years for rentals that turned out, well, less than spectacular. Keep developing what we have; most of our younger players (at least the ones in Utica) have varying chances to play in the NHL. That may be slim, or somewhat better than a snowball's chance, but hey, Burrows came out of the ECHL and gave us a few 30 goal years that I bet NO ONE on CDC saw coming.

It is already on record that Benning and Linden want the team to go for the playoffs. Also, do you think the owners will turn down two games of additional revenue? Hah!

I think the best we can hope for is a competitive 1st round exit, and hopefully have landed another first at the deadline. Maybe Benning could convert 2 1st round picks and a younger player (Gaunce?) for a higher pick that could land...Sergachev?

If you aren't a contender to win, with a prospect pool without a top line player, then no, making the playoffs would be a bad idea.  If you are a team trying to put fans in the stands, then yes, try to make the playoffs every year.  In our case, I don't mind finishing dead last in a good draft year

1 hour ago, flat land fish said:

I'd go with option 3 sell pending FA's and let the kids make a push for the playoffs which is probably our best chance anyway.

This is the solution.  WHatever this team achieves has to be on the efforts and merit of the young guns.  We will get to see and in turn they will get to see what they are made of and what they need to improve upon. 

They might add some rental players? Please put the link for where you herd this. Benning keeps saying he is making room for more youth. We want to get younger is what he keeps saying. I could see them keeping Vrbata and Hammer.

17 minutes ago, Canucks_fo_life said:

Trade a couple veterans for draft picks, and THEN make the playoffs with the extra draft picks in hand

Totes Mcgotes.  And if they miss the playoffs all good - get a top 14 pick as well. Making the playoffs this year is truly pointless. They have had a competitive year. One quick playoff round is not going to develop anybody. Play hard trade vets at the deadline miss the playoffs and cash in on some good picks. Next year the team will be will be better and the year after even better. 

The organization as stated (if I recall correctly) that the development of the young players is the purpose for which they want to make the playoffs.  The opportunity to learn how much harder the game becomes when there is more on the line can't be discounted.  Benning has talked about how beneficial it was for Horvat to play in the Calgary series last year.  I doubt that anyone in the Canucks management team is under any illusions that we can contend for the cup, but I suppose the balance is whether we focus on developing our existing youth by getting them some playoff experience compared to the possibility of drafting higher.  Don't see that it makes sense to create a tank situation to consciously lose to enhance our draft position, not the right message to send to the players.

Making the playoffs is fine as long as the team doesn't sacrifice any of the future for it. By sacrifice, I also mean not gaining any futures this season. Trade the vets, pile up the picks, dont trade any of our own, and if that means no playoffs - no problem.

The Canucks haven't ever really been known for their speed. They've  modelled themselves after the Red wings left side lock ,puck possession style that dates back 10 years. They're getting faster and score off the rush, lately they're starting to surprise teams. With a little more consistency they're going to turn it around.

Who cares about this season ?

We are a crappy team in a Terrible Division.

Our Defence is in a shambles. 

We have done well this year with a  transitional team. Our kids have gained valuable ice time minutes and experience.  

Now lets clear out our UFA's and stale vets. Lets start planning for next year.  Canuck fans want a CUP not another first round early exit in 4 games.

4 hours ago, flat land fish said:

I'd go with option 3 sell pending FA's and let the kids make a push for the playoffs which is probably our best chance anyway.

I agree, I dont understand this whole sell means we are shooting for the bottom of the standings?  In case people don't realize that our kids are already playing better than the guys we are wanting to deal.  It's exactly why we've already seen two players put on waivers.  If anything trading the vets will remove the dead weight and add some spark into our line up.

Archived