The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Two Year Rebuild a CDC Story

Gstank29

Well time to make my month contribution to CDC.

As many have stated the Canucks seems to be in a tough spot this year, we are not good enough to make a deep run into the playoffs, but aren't bad enough to secure a top 5 pick in this years draft. It has also been stated multiple times thats that Benning should sell off our pending UFAs for assets (mostly draft picks in CDCs eye) but IMO we should aim for a 2 year rebuild. In this "two year rebuild" Benning would sell off pending UFAs but instead of draft pick he would look to aquire young talent (like Carrick) who are ready to make the jump in the next 2 years.

Why 2 years you ask? because that is when the Sedins current contracts is up for renewal and no one is certain what they will decide to do. Will they chase a Cup? Ride into the Sunset? or will they resign with the Canucks for 1-2 years. It also means we would still have players like Edler, Sutter and Hansen who are valuable players on this team and who would be at the age where they should good enough fill top 9 and top 4 roles respectively.

When I look at the current team here is what I see, a bonified scoring thread in the Sedins, a solid top 9 forward who would be a welcomed addition to any contender in Hansen, a solid 2/3 punch in Horvat and Sutter, 3 top 4 defenceman (Hutton, Edler, Tanev), lots of depth down the middle and a solid goaltender in Markstrom. Then we add young players like McCann, Baertschi and Virtanen who should become fixtures in our lineup (personally I think McCann is better suited for the wing) for the next couple of year and you see a solid group of players that will make this team a playoff team for many years to come. 

Lets just assume that all of Shinkaruk, Rodin, Boeser, Gaunce and others will all turn out to be busts (I doubt it will happened but for the sake of this thread lets just assume this happens). So the core of the team would look something like this in two years.

1st line Sedins-????

2nd line Baertschi/McCann-Horvat-Virtanen

3rd line McCann/Baertschi-Sutter-Hansen

4th line ????????????????????????????

1st pairing Edler-?????

2nd pairing Hutton-Tanev

3rd pairing ??????????

Markstrom

????

As you can see we aren't missing too much in order to be a true Stanley Cup contender and with almost 25 million in cap space over the next two years we could easily find some good players via UFA or by trading for some young RFA's (like Hamilton) who are unable to sign with their current teams because of cap problems.

So what are we missing you ask? that elusive top pairing defenceman. There are a couple of ways we could aquire that defenceman in the next 2 years. The first option is to acquire a RFA defenceman, with the likes of Vatanen, Lindholm, Barrie, and Trouba all becoming RFA's on cap teams this year, it may be our best chance to aquire a young top pairing defence man via trade in the last decade. I know the asking price will be high, but as outlined above we have the depth without having to force prospects into tough spots to be a cup contender. The second plan would be to sign a UFA top pairing defenceman, it probably won't happen this year as it looks like Winnipeg wants to resign Byfuglien, but next year there are potentially 3 top pairing defenceman who could hit the open market; Hedman, Shattenkirk, and Burns. The third and most popular option would be to draft a top pairing guy this year, but IMO unless it's Chychrun that player won't be ready in two years to be the top pairing defenceman that we so desperately need.

A first line winger would be much easier to acquire since there are usually 1-2 a year that become UFAs so i'm not going to go into much detail about that.

I know this plan is very dependent on the fact that the Sedins stay 60-70 point producers, but what does CDC think?

2018 Stanley Cup Champions:towel:

9 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

"As you can see we aren't missing too much in order to be being a true stanley cup contender"

Oh really... I totally disagree...

Well you quoted it wrong for starters, but discuss that is what this thread is for

I see 8 forward and 3 defense, and none of them are better than Toews/ Kane/ Keith/ Seabrooke or Carter/Kopitar/ Doughty.

And you have 2 37year first liners with no winger and Alex Edler (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) let me repeat that, ALEX EDLER as your # 1 D.

Yup, we're close

Just now, lmm said:

I see 8 forward and 3 defense, and none of them are better than Toews/ Kane/ Keith/ Seabrooke or Carter/Kopitar/ Doughty.

And you have 2 37year first liners with no winger and Alex Edler (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) let me repeat that, ALEX EDLER as your # 1 D.

Yup, we're close

Glad you read it :rolleyes:, keep up the good work

it all comes down to the Sedins and the cap. Will they sign for another year or 2, and if they do will they sign for an amount to give the Canucks a legitimate chance to contend. That amount would need to be 2-3 million per year for 2 years and they would need to clip along at 50 points per year realistically.

They would be 2nd- 3rd  liners and on the 2nd unit PP.

If this the case we would free up cap space to sign hopefully a UFA top pairing Dman and 2- top 6 forwards to compliment our current and future group. This would give us a solid balance throughout our line up similar to that team that beat us in 2011.:(

This may be the only way we will have a chance to be a contender in 2018/2019

The Sedin's have been extremely valuable and worth their weight in gold, but if we sign them for market value in 2018-2019 i see us with a top 10 team, but not a contender.

I've actually been thinking the exact same thing, even though it's too crazy to even dream about.

in my dream the sedins are still scoring at a second line pace, we found a bona-fide #1 defenceman somewhere and got a Stamkos type as a UFA.

if we had two legitimate stars in addition to what we already have we'd be a great young team.

6 hours ago, milk and honey said:

We won't be winning a stanley cup with sedins in the first line role. They HAVE to be 2nd liners for us to be legit contenders or we will need a  very lucky playoff run.

I am a Sedin fan, but not even in this scenario do we win a cup.

It's been said many times and unfortunately is something that my realistic point of view will not allow me to disclaim: we will not win a cup with the Sedins in the roster.

They simply are not as capable in the playoffs, and what performance they do have left will only deteriorate over the coming years.

I'm of the mind that you need strength, speed, a superb defence, strong special teams and outstanding goaltending to be a true Stanley cup contender. You need four lines rolling and a Coach that can optimize and utilize their team to the fullest of their potential. 

Now, you tell me honestly.. are the Canucks in the position to be this type of team within two years? How about four? 

I mea, anything is possible,  but I have a hard time believing it will happen that quickly. Although id love nothing more than to see it

I think you're being overly optimistic with a two year rebuild, if only because our youngsters, as much as I love their progress, will still only be a couple years out of junior and too young for the pressure of leading an NHL team back into contention (assuming the twins retire). And I'm not sure if they'll be ready for first line duty by that point.  

Now if JB pulls a rabbit or two out of his arse in free agency and brings in an impact player and additional depth on D, then maybe we get there sooner. But I really see this taking at least three years.

6 hours ago, lolwut? said:

I am a Sedin fan, but not even in this scenario do we win a cup.

It's been said many times and unfortunately is something that my realistic point of view will not allow me to disclaim: we will not win a cup with the Sedins in the roster.

They simply are not as capable in the playoffs, and what performance they do have left will only deteriorate over the coming years.

I'm of the mind that you need strength, speed, a superb defence, strong special teams and outstanding goaltending to be a true Stanley cup contender. You need four lines rolling and a Coach that can optimize and utilize their team to the fullest of their potential. 

Now, you tell me honestly.. are the Canucks in the position to be this type of team within two years? How about four? 

I mea, anything is possible,  but I have a hard time believing it will happen that quickly. Although id love nothing more than to see it

I disagree with you saying that we will not win the cup with the Sedins in the line up. If they were to become our second line and put up 50 points which is easily reachable for the 2. We could have a legitimate shot. We are a team far away from that shot - but I do disagree with the Sedin comment. Their career is winding down and now they need a team to compliment them instead of them complimenting the team and putting the Canucks over the top. Sedin's can easily become second line players putting up more than respectable numbers for years to come. 

I personally thought this was the year they would begin the downward spiral but they have continued to prove me wrong. I also disagree with them not being capable in the playoffs. They have been close to a ppg in the playoffs - that is more than capable. 

Archived