The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Dennis Wideman suspended 20 games

Just now, Fateless said:

Still think it should have been 10 based on the circumstances. I don't think Wideman was all there when he ran into the linesman and therefore lacked the intent required to give the 20 game suspension.

Clearly the league, after reviewing the entire circumstance, believed there was intent.  Plus, the Flames didn't follow concussion protocols, so even his team felt the player was not concussed.  

2 minutes ago, Fateless said:

Still think it should have been 10 based on the circumstances. I don't think Wideman was all there when he ran into the linesman and therefore lacked the intent required to give the 20 game suspension.

Speculation, and less apparent than the motion of the check which was likely taken as more indicative of intent.

Just now, Alflives said:

Clearly the league, after reviewing the entire circumstance, believed there was intent.  Plus, the Flames didn't follow concussion protocols, so even his team felt the player was not concussed.  

I didn't say Wideman was concussed, but he was clearly woozy and not thinking straight on his way to the bench. If you watch Wideman's reaction on the bench, the guy didn't even realize what he did until his teammates came over and started talking about it. 

I think this is the league just laying down the law (albeit incorrectly) because of the hate a lot of people feel towards the referees. I hope Wideman appeals it because I honestly don't see him intending to run over a referee on his way to the bench. 

Rules dictate 10 games for unintentional "abuses" and 20 games for intentional. The fact they called this intentional just doesn't seem all that supported by the circumstances in my mind.

Based on the rules, 20 games is what he should have gotten, and he got exactly that. For once, the league gets it right.

Now we just wait for the appeal and see whether the league has the balls to uphold, which I think they will. You don't mess with the refs.

Just now, Fateless said:

I didn't say Wideman was concussed, but he was clearly woozy and not thinking straight on his way to the bench. If you watch Wideman's reaction on the bench, the guy didn't even realize what he did until his teammates came over and started talking about it. 

I think this is the league just laying down the law (albeit incorrectly) because of the hate a lot of people feel towards the referees. I hope Wideman appeals it because I honestly don't see him intending to run over a referee on his way to the bench. 

Rules dictate 10 games for unintentional "abuses" and 20 games for intentional. The fact they called this intentional just doesn't seem all that supported by the circumstances in my mind.

If he was "woozy" (as you say) then why didn't the Flames follow the league standard for such circumstance?  The Flames are responsible for having "woozy" players go to a quiet room.  They didn't, so clearly the player's own team felt he was not too "woozy" to be responsible for his actions.  The Flames should have sent him to the quiet room, especially after seeing him hit the ref. That just supports the idea he knew what he was doing.

Archived