The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dave Mirra Dead at 41 (Apparent Suicide)

The Weasel

Some sad news today CDC. Dave Mirra is dead at 41 from an apparent suicide. :(

http://abc7.com/news/dave-mirra-bmx-icon-found-dead-in-north-carolina/1187522/

GREENVILLE, N.C. --

North Carolina native and BMX icon Dave Mirra is dead at 41.

Greenville police said they responded to a call for an apparent suicide around 4 p.m. on Thursday. Upon arrival to the home on Pinewood Road, officers found Mirra with an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.

According to police, Mirra was visiting friends in the area before the incident.

He is considered a trailblazer in the BMX world. He is credited with bringing the sport to the city of Greenville, now home to many professional BMX riders.

Mirra is survived by his wife and two children.

If you or a loved one are struggling with suicidal thoughts, you are encouraged to seek help through the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline by calling 1-800-273-TALK.

Dave_Mirra_Freestyle_BMX_Coverart.png

Rest in Peace to The Miracle Man.

25 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

Speaking of BMX , when I was a kid and BMX bikes just started finding their way in BC , I begged my dad for one, as all my friends were riding around on the latest Diamondbacks, Kuwaharas, and PK Rippers. Well my dad wasn't buying that crap as he said what bikes don't have fenders, your just gonna get a mud strip up your back, besides whats wrong with your Mustang.   Well since bmx showed up and I was at that age where it seemed to matter, there was no way I was gonna get caught riding a MUSTANG with sissy bars and a banana seat.

Well I wasn't deturred , I took my mustang bike, with its banana seat, and sissy bars, and fenders into the garage.   I swapped my banana seat and sissy bar with the seat off my dads 10 speed bike, took off all the fenders , and my friend gave me a set of stock handle bars from his kuwahara bmx bike which I swapped with the stock mustang handle bars.   In the end my transformed mustang bike looked almost BMX.   I rode it around for a couple more years with all my buddys with their PK Rippers and such , know one blinking an eye, unless of course we were riding past my house where my dad would just roll his eyes with that look.  lol 

Over time I even added a single front brake double neck instead of stock mustang neck and alloy rims with decent bmx tread,  that's when mountain bikes started to show up. lol

Got my first bmx from Woolco.  Piece of $&!#.  Headset snapped midair while my buddy was on it.

my dad found a kewahara at the dump. It was in good shape. Man I was stoked and babied that thing.

i used to go out to cloverdale by the fairgrounds to this old guys property. He had hundreds of bikes of all types. We used to buy a bunch and then build low riders and Frankenstein choppers.  This was back in the mid to late 90's.

nothing like the freedom of a bike.

Very sad.  Im my early-mid teens I took bmxing very serious. 

Until I got my sponsorship, I worked two after school jobs just to keep up with new parts, frames, gear etc...

watching Dave kick the crap out of the x-games year after year was a huge inspiration to me.   I think he has 25 medals or something crazy like that.  

I don't know anything about his death, but as a former bmxer, I know head injuries play a huge part.  Especially in big park and halfpipe.  He would go so damn big, if he fell it was usually an issue. 

Maybe years of concussions played into the suicide? 

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

It's ironic that a guy who so often risked his life performing his passion, shoots himself.  This is very sad indeed.  

Is it though?

Was this related to post-concussion syndrome, from the no-doubt countless number of spills he took perfecting his craft? Or an addiction to thrills he could no longer attain? Whatever the case, he certainly proved that he wasn't too afraid of death.

Archived