The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Yannick Weber

54 minutes ago, canucks411 said:

Now only if we could get rid of Bartkowski some how.

if you are lucky he signs elsewhere in the offseason, otherwise he is the kind of player the team wants moving forward so yeah.

In terms of Weber ? he should have produced more and on the power play, I don't see Biega being here allowing the team to be any more offensive which the team needs so.

19 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Can someone clarify just how much money/cap we save by having these 3 in the minors and or how that makes them more attractive to other teams?

It makes them more attractive to teams because they can be immediately assigned to their AHL team as a potential call up depth option. The player, if claimed off waivers or traded for before clearing waivers would have to be kept on the NHL roster. So it reduces the risk of trading an asset for the player only to lose them on waivers if the acquiring team wants to assign them to the AHL and also adds the flexibility of Vancouver retaining salary unlike a waiver claim.

5 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

I really don't see him clearing. 1.5 million pro-rated isn't enough to keep a team with minor league 6/7 defensemen, from taking a flier on him. I hope he does though, Utica could use him and he might find his game down there.

true but those teams could send a contract back and not take on one. we shall see hopefully he clears so we can try get something from him at deadline. Be good for him to play a bit with subban and sorta mentor him as he is on the smaller side but has carved out an nhl career for a bit

I will be interested to see if someone takes a flyer on Weber.

Higgins additional year and steep decline on his contract certainly make him a tough sell. Prust's cap hit to garbage play ratio is at least expiring this year. Weber though - despite being pretty bad overall this year and certainly not adding much offensively - is still on a decent contract that is expiring and can fit a specific depth role on a deep defense.

Much like most Canucks players, we have to over use them in roles that are above their pay grade because we don't have better options. On a deep defense Weber could be good insurance.

Benning needs to rethink his willingness to overpay even a little bit on depth contracts (ie Dorsett, Weber, Bartkowdki, etc. and taking on Prust's) going forward. The fact that most Canucks players are apparently scorched earth to other teams is a bit concerning but not really surprising.

5 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Their are no words to describe how I'm feeling right now.  Schmooblydong? That's not it, but it's close. ...

Higgins

Prust

Weber

Burrows

Vrbata

The rest of the D-core not named Tanev or Hutton

+1 for Schmooblydong.

1 hour ago, combover said:

Apparently  no Canuck is worth anything. 

Wonder how the Benning fanboys are going to feel when Hamhuis and vrbata bring very little due to our incompetent scout I mean gm.  That's if he takes the sh-t out of his eyes and realizes this team isn't going to make the playoffs and loses more ufa's for nothing. 

Yet a guy like Scott can get a prospect like tinordi.

I hate your face.

Okay, so now we have Higgins, Prust, and Weber in the minors. Now, it may seem like these guys are NHLers, but they aren't.

The cap era and the new ideology of "rotating all 4 lines" has seen a drop in "checking" lines. 3rd liners are now as interchangable as 4th liners. These guys are dime a dozen and can easily be picked up in free agency for half what they are making now. I'm sure Benning didn't really want to waive Weber, but he had to, to fit in Hamhuis.

So don't feel like we're burrying guys in the minors. Chicago did it with Bickell. Other teams do it with their players. Just what happens in a youth movement.

10 minutes ago, Yotes said:

so weber leaked his waiver move to swiss media, canucks twitter didnt announce it this time like they announced the higgins is available

That's cause media made a big deal about. I'm almost positive nobody wanted to pay for Weber, and he doesn't have Chris' tenure either. I honestly don't think one Canucks fan is upset about this. So why would they make a press release? Just do it every time a player is moved?

1 hour ago, combover said:

Apparently  no Canuck is worth anything. 

Wonder how the Benning fanboys are going to feel when Hamhuis and vrbata bring very little due to our incompetent scout I mean gm.  That's if he takes the sh-t out of his eyes and realizes this team isn't going to make the playoffs and loses more ufa's for nothing. 

Yet a guy like Scott can get a prospect like tinordi.

The deal was Tinordi for Bartley (who didn't need to clear waivers).  Scott was a meaningless throw in to help out a cash poor organization.  The trad wasn't Scott for Tinordi.  I wish people would stop trying to use this example to complain about the lack of interest in Higgins and Prust

1 minute ago, Baer. said:

That's cause media made a big deal about. I'm almost positive nobody wanted to pay for Weber, and he doesn't have Chris' tenure either. I honestly don't think one Canucks fan is upset about this.

nope long over due was just a matter of time

Archived