The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Have the Canucks ever really traded a veteran for a pick at the deadline?

Cameron88188

Have the Canucks ever really traded a veteran for a pick at or near the deadline? Over the past 20 years this is what I've found: 

1996 - To Tampa Bay: Adrien Plavsic
To Vancouver: 5th round pick in 1997

1997 To Pittsburgh: Josef Beranek
To Vancouver: future considerations

To Philadelphia: Frantisek Kucera

1998 To Philly: Dave Babych
To Vancouver: 5th round pick in 1998

1999- To Buffalo: Geoff Sanderson
To Vancouver: Brad May and a 3rd round pick.

March 23, 1999: Vancouver traded C Peter Zezel to Anaheim for future considerations.

2001 -  Vancouver traded Felix Potvin to Los Angeles for a conditional pick in 2001 or 2002.

2004 - Vancouver traded Jiri Slegr to Boston for future considerations.

The best we've done is a third round pick? 

I'm not sure if we should get our hopes up that Vrbata, Hammer, Hansen, Dorsett or Sbsica will be dealt for a first or second rounder...

1 hour ago, smokes said:

To be fair, the Canucks have not had to be sellers for a while cause they've always been chasing the cup. My nightmare is how many good prospects did we give up for vets who only played a few games for the Canucks,

My thoughts exactly.  They've always dealt minor guys and picks for guys to help the team now, and I for one feel lucky that the team has remained competitive for so long (as indicated by these kinds of trades).  Also, regarding your next point, I'm not sure how many guys we would've gotten with those picks would've panned out under Ron Delorme anyways (e.g. for the Brent Sopel trade would we really have picked and developed Wayne Simmonds, or would we end up with Ruslan Bashkirov, or even Yannick Weber???), so it's probably a good idea that we didn't keep them (or trade a vet to get them) in the first place! 

1 hour ago, Cameron88188 said:

Have the Canucks ever really traded a veteran for a pick at or near the deadline? Over the past 20 years this is what I've found: 

1996 - To Tampa Bay: Adrien Plavsic
To Vancouver: 5th round pick in 1997

1997 To Pittsburgh: Josef Beranek

To Philadelphia: Frantisek Kucera

1998 To Philly: Dave Babych
To Vancouver: 5th round pick in 1998

1999- To Buffalo: Geoff Sanderson
To Vancouver: Brad May and a 3rd round pick.

March 23, 1999: Vancouver traded C Peter Zezel to Anaheim for future considerations.

2001 -  Vancouver traded Felix Potvin to Los Angeles for a conditional pick in 2001 or 2002.

2004 - Vancouver traded Jiri Slegr to Boston for future considerations.

The best we've done is a third round pick? 

I'm not sure if we should get our hopes up that Vrbata, Hammer, Hansen, Dorsett or Sbsica will be dealt for a first or second rounder...

Hamhuis is the only one of them potentially worth a 1st. And that's only if he comes back and looks 100 percent. I don't understand the trade Hansen thing. We'd get a 2nd or 3rd at best for him cuz everyone knows he's a 3rd liner if he's not with the Sedins. I'd rather 4 or 5 more years of Hansen than a pick in the 50-90 overall range, thanks.

2 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

Hamhuis is the only one of them potentially worth a 1st. And that's only if he comes back and looks 100 percent. I don't understand the trade Hansen thing. We'd get a 2nd or 3rd at best for him cuz everyone knows he's a 3rd liner if he's not with the Sedins. I'd rather 4 or 5 more years of Hansen than a pick in the 50-90 overall range, thanks.

Agree 100%. In my opinion it's not worth what we would get in return for him. He is the kind of player that leads by example and should be kept to show the kids the type of players we want in this organization. He is strong overall, both offensively and defensively, and is also a bargain for his salary. It makes more sense to keep him than trade him IMO.

1 hour ago, smokes said:

To be fair, the Canucks have not had to be sellers for a while cause they've always been chasing the cup. My nightmare is how many good prospects did we give up for vets who only played a few games for the Canucks,

The Internet is right in front of you. 

Show me this list of good prospects we gave up in the last 20 years for short term fill-ins.

I'd bet it's one piss poor roster. 

4 minutes ago, theminister said:

The Internet is right in front of you. 

Show me this list of good prospects we gave up in the last 20 years for short term fill-ins.

I'd bet it's one piss poor roster. 

I'd bet it's still better than the Derek Roy's and such who played a couple weeks for us and were then gone.

We never keep a GM long enough to see if his drafting pays off. But we have never had a good drafting GM in our history. One could argue Quinn and Burke had one good draft each, but in 45 years that is brutal.

I think it is vital to sell Hamhuis and Vrbata this season at the deadline. Losing expiring assets, as a non contending team, is asinine. And we did that last year. :(

Archived