The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is this season more enjoyable than last?

VIC_CITY

Nobody expected the Canucks to be a 100 point team last year, but when we were and then subsequently bounced by Calgary in the 1st round, it was a huge disappointment. A successful regular season brings certain expectations in the playoffs and the Canucks were unable to meet those expectations, as unrealistic they may have been.

To me, this season has a different feel. I think we're right where we're supposed to be in the standings and more importantly, in our rebuild. When I watch the games this year I obviously root for us to do well and I'm happy when we win but I'm just as happy when we lose. I love watching the progression of our youth and see great things ahead for this franchise, but we need to stay on course. This more than likely means missing the playoffs this year and a top 10 pick in the upcoming draft.

I know Benning has stated that his goal is to make the playoffs, which is true. I wouldn't expect him to say anything else. But his actions speak louder than his words and they show that he's committed to the rebuild over anything else. If during the course of this rebuild, the youth progress faster than expected and we make the playoffs, that's great, we'll all be thrilled. But by saying his goal is to make the playoffs, that doesn't mean he's going to live or die with his veterans leading the way (except the Sedins of course).

This is a new culture, a new team and an exciting time at that. Personally, I could care less about the playoffs this year. Sure I would love to speed up our prospects development and have them all overachieve, but realistically, this is going to take time and I'm just happy that our youth are being given an opportunity.

So what do you think has been more enjoyable? A 100 point team and playoff birth last year or the youth movement and likely no playoffs this year?

Personally, I'm enjoying the ride this year.

13 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Nobody expected the Canucks to be a 100 point team last year, but when we were and then subsequently bounced by Calgary in the 1st round, it was a huge disappointment. A successful regular season brings certain expectations in the playoffs and the Canucks were unable to meet those expectations, as unrealistic they may have been.

To me, this season has a different feel. I think we're right where we're supposed to be in the standings and more importantly, in our rebuild. When I watch the games this year I obviously root for us to do well and I'm happy when we win but I'm just as happy when we lose. I love watching the progression of our youth and see great things ahead for this franchise, but we need to stay on course. This more than likely means missing the playoffs this year and a top 10 pick in the upcoming draft.

I know Benning has stated that his goal is to make the playoffs, which is true. I wouldn't expect him to say anything else. But his actions speak louder than his words and they show that he's committed to the rebuild over anything else. If during the course of this rebuild, the youth progress faster than expected and we make the playoffs, that's great, we'll all be thrilled. But by saying his goal is to make the playoffs, that doesn't mean he's going to live or die with his veterans leading the way (except the Sedins of course).

This is a new culture, a new team and an exciting time at that. Personally, I could care less about the playoffs this year. Sure I would love to speed up our prospects development and have them all overachieve, but realistically, this is going to take time and I'm just happy that our youth are being given an opportunity.

So what do you think has been more enjoyable? A 100 point team and playoff birth last year or the youth movement and likely no playoffs this year?

Personally, I'm enjoying the ride this year.

In a strange way yes, I agree.

Last season I was pessimistic but hoped for the best, and at the end of the season I actually started thinking we could have a cinderella run and was not only devastated but brought back to reality by Calgary. 

This season I still always hope for us to win, but when we lose I am not upset and think of a better draft position and the fact we will cut dead weight off the team and be better in the future because of it.

And its fun to see the youth movement like you said.

1 minute ago, Stierlitz said:

Blake Price @BlakePriceTSN 14h14 hours ago

Canucks are 7 pts up on 30th in the NHL.. 3 pts back of the last Pacific spot. 4 pts back of the 2nd Wild Card. Arm's reach of everything.

You'll want to cheer for Arizona Tonight. Anaheims won 6 in a row and has 2 games in hand. Our 3 points back of Aneheim could turn to 6 back of SanJose  in a hurry.

Just now, Mathew Barzal said:

Considerably more so now that I can be rest assured plugs like Weber, Prust and Higgins aren't taking playing time away from our youngins.

Next on the chopping block needs to be Dorsett.

I don't mind Dorsett. Yes, he's clearly overpaid by a million or so, but he's a good guy to have around the kids. He works hard, sticks up for his teammates and can actual keep up. I'd take him over Higgins, Prust and Weber any day.

I thought last season was fairly inflated, then the exit was a total gong show.  This season is more real, and there are more kids to get excited about, but baby steps, and the game play has been yawn-inducing at times while the team collects an amazing amount of loser points.  More enjoyable?  Probably, so far, because of the youth infusion.

i found last season to be a refreshing success

after the extremely disappointing season under torts

it did seem that the team might actually be as bad as it played that season under torts

last season we saw a team that over achieved and i thought was quite an exciting team once the changes in team strategy were fully implemented, after a couple months, following the game where the team was completely exposed by the rangers in december 2014

this year there was some expectation of a continuation of last year's team with changes to inject more youth

this year's team is much closer to the team i expected at the start of last season

as a result i think this year's team is less surprising and a disappointment comparatively

that does not mean that this transition process is not necessary

it is just lesser quality hockey overall and less success as a result

we cannot hold leads this year, we lose to lower quality teams, mostly lose to the better teams

overall it is all a bit bleh, .. unless one focuses solely on some of the excitement being generated by the youth

the season is only about 2/3 of the way done though

and last year's team only began to really play well around now

so a final view is still a bit premature for me.. but i really do not think this team has the horses to facilitate the necessary turnaround

and anaheim and san jose are looking much more like real teams than the canucks and i doubt we can compete with them for the final playoff position

Through the ups and downs, I'll always enjoy watching the Canucks, and there's been some terrible times (Messier anyone?!). But this is the 1st time I can say that I don't mind watching us lose. I don't get frustrated like in years past. I'm just enjoying the ride this time around.

last year was an unexpected but very welcome trip to the playoffs. so fun.

trader jim could have easily gotten us there this year too (still could I suppose).

but i'm the same, i would way rather watch the team this year...playing good hockey, improving and moving towards a team that's actually going to be able to compete in a couple of years.

1 minute ago, nzan said:

last year was an unexpected but very welcome trip to the playoffs. so fun.

trader jim could have easily gotten us there this year too (still could I suppose).

but i'm the same, i would way rather watch the team this year...playing good hockey, improving and moving towards a team that's actually going to be able to compete in a couple of years.

And re-introducing some speed back into the game, which is always a viewer-friendly option.

Last year they were much better than I expected, but I'm enjoying this year because of all the young players. I enjoy watching them get better every game. 

I really hope JB will Trade Vrbata, Hamhuis and maybe even Burrows, so we get more draft picks / prospects. Then the young guys can still try and make a good run at a playoff spot. If they don't make it, so be it, then we get a better pick position.

this is far more enjoyable this year than last year. It is a breath of fresh air, last years roster was old and stale, a good team but nothing exciting aside from Horvat. Subtracting Richardson, Matthias, Higgins and Bieksa (although I love the guy and really hope he wins a cup) and adding Sutter, McCann, Virtanen, Etem, Vey (with Etem ofc), Baerthschi, and Hutton has DEFINITELY made the games more enjoyable to watch and the Sedins are still playing top level hockey.  Miller and Marky have been an absolute wall for us this year, win or lose there has been tons of excitement in each game, end to end rushes, tic tac toe plays, monster saves and sustained pressure in the opposing teams end with speed and finesse. We dont score on every partial breakaway or end to end rush or insane passing plays but it sure as hell makes the losses that much more entertaining.

Archived