The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How could the Canucks improve goal scoring?

jmahyoung

After the last few disappointing games, dwelling over what happened I got to thinking if the real problem isn't defence or goaltending. Those have actually been pretty good the last several games. Could the Canucks biggest problem actually be goal scoring?

I keep on thinking about why Henrik said the Canucks lost in the SCF in 2011. He said it was not because of defence or goaltending. He said 
we lost because we couldn't score" I wonder if that is the real problem here. Other than outlier Anaheim, we are in the bottom of the division in goals.

It's been ages since I've seen a one-timer during a game. When a player gets a cross ice pass, they hold onto it for a few seconds and see if the goalie is looking at them, if he is they pass it to someone else. On the radio they talked about this last night- opposition goalies look good against us, even the 3rd string goalie on the worst team in the NHL looks good against us.

It fixing this as simple as a new coaching strategy or do we need new personnel? What do you think.

I also haven't seen the heavy screening in front of the goaltender that I remember from earlier times. Do we lack the big bodies to park in front of the net? Our forwards are fast, maybe we need someone like Gaunce who will park in front of the goaltender's face and stay there for the whole offensive rush.

I think the biggest problem is we need a couple more pieces and to get rid of a couple. Looking back on this season, we have some really good pairings but very few actual 3 man lines. Sedin-Sedin, Baertschi-Horvat, Vey-Etem, Dorsett-Virtanen. 

Hansen has done well with the Sedins this year but Hansen is not a true 1st line player. Vrbata is just a roster spot with Bo and Baer. Burrows has fit very well with Vey and Etem but I'm betting Shinkaruk would fit a whole lot better, and Dorsett and Virtanen seem to click well, hopefully Sutter in the middle is the answer.

To me, the answer is moving Burrows and Vrbata and replacing them with a free agent and Shinkaruk. Hansen goes with Bo and Baer, free agent with the twins, Shinkaruk with Vey.

That's 4 lines that are reliable, have size and speed, and can all produce goals and offense. 

We just need a couple guys to turn our solid pairings into trio's, that'll make all the difference.

25 minutes ago, jmahyoung said:

After the last few disappointing games, dwelling over what happened I got to thinking if the real problem isn't defence or goaltending. Those have actually been pretty good the last several games. Could the Canucks biggest problem actually be goal scoring?

I keep on thinking about why Henrik said the Canucks lost in the SCF in 2011. He said it was not because of defence or goaltending. He said 
we lost because we couldn't score" I wonder if that is the real problem here. Other than outlier Anaheim, we are in the bottom of the division in goals.

It's been ages since I've seen a one-timer during a game. When a player gets a cross ice pass, they hold onto it for a few seconds and see if the goalie is looking at them, if he is they pass it to someone else. On the radio they talked about this last night- opposition goalies look good against us, even the 3rd string goalie on the worst team in the NHL looks good against us.

It fixing this as simple as a new coaching strategy or do we need new personnel? What do you think.

Draft Matthews. 

Combine all drafts acquired by deadline trades and draft Chychrun.

10 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Dumping Vrbata, Hansen, Burrows, and Cracknell is how i would start the process to creating more offense. 

Are you kidding? Hansen is one of our most consistent players, and is an absolute bargain at his salary for what he brings both offensively and defensively.He's also number 3 on our top 5 scorers this season. Not exactly dead weight like the others you listed.

Canucks Top 5 Scorers.jpg

3 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Are you kidding? Hansen is one of our most consistent players, and is an absolute bargain at his salary for what he brings both offensively and defensively.He's also number 3 on our top 5 scorers this season. Not exactly dead weight like the others you listed.

New Bitmap Image.bmp

I say we dump Hansen because he can get us a  1st or 2nd   or a  21 yr old prospect that will fit our new core.

We don't need 29  yr olds now as we will be rebuilding for the next 3-4 years. 

Just now, Yukoncanuck87 said:

As harsh as it sounds Hansens stock has never been higher IMO. Prob get a first n a a/b prospect.

It is not harsh. Just a Business Decision . I agree 110 %   I always liked  how hockey people use math.....

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

I say we dump Hansen because he can get us a  1st or 2nd   or a  21 yr old prospect that will fit our new core.

We don't need 32 yr olds now as we will be rebuilding for the next 3-4 years. 

I see what you're getting at, but in my opinion I think he is the type of veteran you keep around to mentor the kids and be an example of the type of players we want in our organization, while at the same time contributing offensively and defensively.

But I respect your opinion. Agree to disagree. :P

Archived