The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What should Nucks do if they get #2 pick in 2016 draft

By sea and land

We all know Matthews is going #1.  If we were to land the #2 pick, what should Benning do?

A) make a selection - Tkachuk, either Finn winger

B) attempt to trade up for Matthews

C) trade away pick for roster players

D) trade down, accumulate assets and select Dman of your choice

Personslly I'd like to see us trade down so we can select a Dmen that Benning covets and acquire additional assets.  If Jim can't find a suitable trading partner then I hope we select Tkachuk.  I know those two Finn wingers were outstanding at the World Juniors and could very well turn out to be fantastic NHLers.  I'd pick Tkachuk however because I think it's very clear you know what you're going to get.  He's a very safe pick.  A true power forward in the making and a LWer at that which suits the Canucks.  Tkachuk and Virtanen on the same team would be incredible.  But my first choice would be to trade down and accumulate assets if Jim has his eye on a particular DMan.  I totally trust Benning.  I love the job he's doing.  Although it's early, 2nd rounders for Baertschi and Vey look like solid moves again.  Sutter and a 2nd for Bonino, Clendening and a 3rd?  Awesome return.  Bartkowski looks very solid and I hope he resigns.  Etem for a non Canuck hopefull?  Jury still out but low risk deal which looks good so far. No hesitation to get Kesler out of town.  Did an unbelievable job unloading Garrison and that term.  And, and he cuts ties with aging players when that player is deemed not useful enough to help the team any longer ( higgins, prust, weber).  

So what should Benning do should we select #2 overall?

1 minute ago, Canucks Prophet said:

If we get #2, we'll have to draft the best player, most likely one of the Fins.

But I hope we can get around #5. Then it will be a no brainer to pick up Chychrun. Win Win situation.

I was really disappointed watching Chychrun in the Orr/Cherry game.  Thought he played poorly vs his peers.  I know it's only one game but I'd like to trade a bit further down so the return we get would be even greater.

Archived