The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reasons why Waiver players are not being picked up right now (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

With Benning saying he has tried to trade Prust, Higgins and Weber, it got me to wondering why these players have not been picked up?

And although not quality players at this point in their careers, they would serve as good depth players, once the playoffs start, and the injuries start mounting...

The reasons I have thought of could be...............

#1. They were offered too early...........a month away could cost the team 20% of the players cap....why not wait and trade for them closer to the deadline?

#2. Their cost would be the same as now, as at the deadline....aka a 5th to 7th pick........why spend the money early?

#3. The teams want to see the entire list of whose is available.......lots of 4 liners available

#4. They want to force the cost down...aka no interest... low ball offer......trading team paying part of cap hit

#5.  Selling team wanting to see if there is a better offer

#6. Wanting to see what your teams injury list looks like before trading for a dman or a forward........again too early

#7. Another trade pending.........aka 2nd choice

#8. Cap hits too big at present

#9. They just are not good enough

Hey,I know some will have fun of this, and please go ahead.............but consider Prust, Higgins and Weber may have some limited value, at the deadline, now they are in the minors and do not have to be sent down, as they already are

My bet is Prust and Higgins will be traded, with a 50/50 % chance Higgins get trade with a 50% cap retention

I may be wrong, but I think there is a chance

Add to the list if you would like...................................

It's not just the Canucks, a few other teams are struggling to get rid of waived players. I think that just goes to show that the overall quality of the league has risen in recent years. It really is no country for old men. If you're not fast on your skates and skilled with your hands, good luck getting an opportunity. 

11 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

With Benning saying he has tried to trade Prust, Higgins and Weber, it got me to wondering why these players have not been picked up?

And although not quality players at this point in their careers, they would serve as good depth players, once the playoffs start, and the injuries start mounting...

#1. They were offered too early...........a month away could cost the team 20% of the players cap....why not wait and trade for them closer to the deadline?

#2. Their cost would be the same as now, as at the deadline....aka a 5th to 7th pick........why spend the money early?

#3. The teams want to see the entire list of whose is available.......lots of 4 liners available

#4. They want to force the cost down...aka no interest... low ball offer......trading team paying part of cap hit

#6. Wanting to see what your teams injury list looks like before trading for a dman or a forward........again too early

Hey,I know some will have fun of this, and please go ahead.............but consider Prust, Higgins and Weber may have some limited value, at the deadline, now they are in the minors and do not have to be sent down, as they already are

My bet is Prust and Higgins will be traded, with a 50/50 % chance Higgins get trade with a 50% cap retention

Probably some, or all of the reasons are relevant on some level. 

I would agree that Prust, Weber and even Higgins could find a new team by the trade deadline. I'm also fairly certain that a large number of folks who are dancing at their relegation to the minors will then complain that the return wasn't enough.

regards,  G.

No waiver claims?..

Wonder if it's connected to a seemingly imploding economy? The Nov assertion of a 74 mill cap(Bettman's words..forget?) are increasingly looking like a pipe-dream.

I'm guessing GM's are all starting to think of dumping any mediocrity, with term attached.

Appears the youth-trend will only increase, & the AHL will be getting lots of familiar names...

5 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

No waiver claims?..

Wonder if it's connected to a seemingly imploding economy? The Nov assertion of a 74 mill cap(Bettman's words..forget?) are increasingly looking like a pipe-dream.

I'm guessing GM's are all starting to think of dumping any mediocrity, with term attached.

Appears the youth-trend will only increase, & the AHL will be getting lots of familiar names...

Very good point....very true!

I think aside from what you're attempting to look at - with the forwards in particular there is more to their specific contexts.

Higgins - injury mitigates it.  Player is not healthy - teams don't want to commit a roster spot.  Higgins had two fairly serious injuries this year and hasn't really been up to speed from day 1. Can be to the advantage of the waiving team - the timing - allows them to assign and retain the asset with the potential of dealing them or recalling them later if/when they regain their game.   Similar dynamic with a guy like Kassian that teams were unsure of, cleared, but then was dealt once he was in the A.

Prust - ditto.  Won't be surprised if he is flipped closer to the deadline.

Weber - undersized upside D who isn't bringing the upside. Not surprised there were no claims.  A lot of comparable D cleared waivers this season.

In addition - literally half the league is on the bubble - uncertain whether they're buying or selling and waiting to see their team's performances in the crucial coming stretch.

33 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Thanks for doing this.  I was wondering why our players were not being picked up, and this helps explain that!

19 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Their cost now would not have been a 5th to 7th pick. It would have been nothing (zero) to get them off waivers.

But your reason #9 was the correct reason. They are not good enough. I won't go through the numbers or the details, but all three guys would have a very hard time displacing anyone on a contending team. And non-contending teams would rather play  young guys, who are also cheaper. All three guys are significantly overpaid given their performance this year.

People who have been realistic about the quality of the Canuck players (and I humbly put myself in that category) have been saying for a while that these three guys would not be worth anything in trade at this stage -- even if the Canucks were willing to retain salary. If they do well in Utica, possibly that might change as the deadline approaches.

Archived